Predictions for eldritch moon (spoilers?)

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
demiteddybear
First Video: Unskippable

Predictions for eldritch moon (spoilers?)

Postby demiteddybear » 20 Jun 2016, 08:02

So my friend and just watched episode 1 for access magic. Now from the trailer we see chandrail and Gideon fighting for their lives, I'm not sure how this manifest but I really don't see new planeswalker cards for them after bfz block and Kaladesh in the near future. However I do see a new Liliana as a definite and my prediction is that we will get a Tamiyo planeswalker card.

So the scene with liliana raising an army of zombies to fight emrakul, that seemed pretty rad right? Yeah, the zombie tribe is going to get a lot stronger and I were also going to get some seriously messed up DFCs, probably as the next "tribe", emrakul's brood.

My final predictions are two legendary artifacts, the eldritch moon (the new moon being built out of silver, hmm the same material as the helvault, what a coincidence) and a resurgence of the chain veil

Any other thoughts?
theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Re: Predictions for eldritch moon (spoilers?)

Postby theycallmejokke » 20 Jun 2016, 11:58

Well a legendary were-wolf seems like a save bet.
Lilliana could maaaybe be getting a oath... Maaaybe.
If the chain veil returns I hope we'll also get to see Garruk again.
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 20 Jun 2016, 12:42

I feel like Lili getting an Oath is 100% sure thing, personally. She's the face of the set, she's going to be battling an Eldrazi, and the Gatewatch are coming to Innistrad. It's pretty much certain she'll be joining, and they've said anyone who joins gets an Oath.

Personally, I just want more werewolves. It feels like that deck is so close. It just needs something to push it over. But with the corruption and how it looks like there'll be a good number of colorless cards (Emrakul is 6, which means there's 5 before her that start with E), I'm worried there won't be. :(

Personally, I think we're getting a new Tamiyo. I also don't think she's going to be mono-blue this time around. I think she'll be U/G myself. I'm also going to guess she's going to join the Gatewatch.

I doubt it will happen, but Arlinn actually becoming a major character and interacting if not joining the Gatewatch would make me happy. She seems really cool. I'd love to see more of her.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 20 Jun 2016, 14:48

I know for a fact this won't happen, but I'd love for the resolution to this block to be someone fetching Garruk, pointing him at Emrakul, and telling him that she's a Planeswalker.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
demiteddybear

Postby demiteddybear » 21 Jun 2016, 04:30

Kapol wrote:
Personally, I think we're getting a new Tamiyo. I also don't think she's going to be mono-blue this time around. I think she'll be U/G myself. I'm also going to guess she's going to join the Gatewatch.

I doubt it will happen, but Arlinn actually becoming a major character and interacting if not joining the Gatewatch would make me happy. She seems really cool. I'd love to see more of her.

I hadn't thought about liliana becoming apart of the oath, but that does make sense, I was thinking just a new planeswalker card, but with the outcry that they got about wanting a complete cycle of oaths I can see that happening.
I was thinking that tamiyo would be multicolour too, but I was thinking U/W only because kiora was already UG back in BFZ.
Although it doesn't really count as a prediction since its pretty much been spoiled in the latest story but there will be a zombie/horror "angel" dedicated to Emrakul.
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 21 Jun 2016, 11:11

I'm going with people changing into Eldrazi. (idea courtesy of Rednightmare by the way)

Basically I'm saying I want a Creature - Eldrazi Human Werewolf.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
theycallmejokke

Postby theycallmejokke » 27 Jun 2016, 03:28

So have anyone else seen Graf Rats and Midnight Scavengers? I can't really put my finger on exactly what makes me feel so, but they somehow feel fake to me... Buuuut if they are not we possibly have a new mechanic in EMN.
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 27 Jun 2016, 06:55

I tend not to look at leaks - they just confuse you because they haven't had WotC marketing spending months planning out the order and method of reveal.
demiteddybear

Postby demiteddybear » 27 Jun 2016, 08:45

They just showed the emerge and meld mechanics on the MTG YouTube channel, and showed the graf rats combo on it. So confirmed. I'm glad they're not fake because when I saw them I was so happy, a mechanic dripping with flavor for some really fun cards.
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 27 Jun 2016, 11:15

That means that Hanweir, the Writhing Township is probably a meld card. That's a pretty high-ranking flavor win, in my books. Here's to hoping we get such a card for Bruna and Gisela, too!
theycallmejokke

Postby theycallmejokke » 27 Jun 2016, 12:16

Wow so they really did (sorta) put the B.F.M. (Big Furry Monster) mechanic from Unglued in black boarder, very interesting I for one now really look forward to see how it will play.
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 28 Jun 2016, 00:48

They're standalone cards on their own, with upside; mechanically I see no issues, and I don't see any glaring power issues (either broken or useless).
demiteddybear

Postby demiteddybear » 28 Jun 2016, 02:36

Well from watching it yesterday they said 3 (or 3 others including the chitterlings host) then in the beginning we might see it being tried out a lot but it may not be that common. It looks so exciting and fun but I don't predict the'll be appearing that often. Emerge seems very fun and flavourful and I think we'll be seeing plenty of those cards, I'm sure there will be some combos. The escalate cards that we saw seem to indicate some flexible gameplay and can swing a combat, but to me just doesn't feel as exciting, though they might end up being the cards most used.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 28 Jun 2016, 04:13

The only thing I don't like about the ability is the fact that it uses the backs of both cards. It feels like it's going to needlessly eat up DFC slots, make it significantly harder to achieve in limited (and easier to be hated on), and it'll make board state more awkward.
demiteddybear

Postby demiteddybear » 28 Jun 2016, 05:01

Well I checked and there are only 3 pairs, 2 of them are either rare or mythic rare and the other pair is common. MaRo says that it wasn't designed for limited. Seems like that leaves plenty of DFC space available. It also depends on how we draft, 3 packs of EMN and who knows (it might feel like opening a hedron alignment or a rouen heart ghoul), 2 packs of EMN and 1 of SOI and I don't think we'll even notice.

I do think though that meld is pretty much only going to appear in EMN since it would have to be in a set with DFCs and fit the atmosphere of combining things. Although the design space seems to be quite large since it seems like it can be used with any permanent.
Last edited by demiteddybear on 28 Jun 2016, 05:06, edited 1 time in total.
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 28 Jun 2016, 05:05

The term "Eldrazi Hippogriff" makes me smile.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 28 Jun 2016, 06:11

demiteddybear wrote:Well I checked and there are only 3 pairs, 2 of them are either rare or mythic rare and the other pair is common. MaRo says that it wasn't designed for limited. Seems like that leaves plenty of DFC space available. It also depends on how we draft, 3 packs of EMN and who knows (it might feel like opening a hedron alignment or a rouen heart ghoul), 2 packs of EMN and 1 of SOI and I don't think we'll even notice.

I do think though that meld is pretty much only going to appear in EMN since it would have to be in a set with DFCs and fit the atmosphere of combining things. Although the design space seems to be quite large since it seems like it can be used with any permanent.

I know it's only three pairs. But that's 6 DFCs, 4 of which are rare or mythic. Consider that there were about 33 DFCs in Shadows, about 9 of which were rare/mythic. And that was in a large set rather than a small one. That seems like it'll be pretty significant numbers. Especially when it seems like they could have halved those numbers for DFCs by not actually having the backs of both of them be used.

That's the thing that really bothers me. I think that will turn out to be more annoying than it's worth in paper. It's a really cool idea that doesn't seem like it really gives a payoff.

As for not designing it for limited, if that's the case, I don't think they should have the common ones at all. Hanweir and Bruna/Gisela at least have story reasons and are pretty cool. The common one is just kind of... there. And it's still going to have the problem of being easily hated on in draft and unlikely to get in sealed.

And I'm sure meld is going to pretty much a one and done thing. But the problem is that DFCs are very rare themselves. Who knows how long it'll be until we get more? And on top of that, there's no way of guessing if certain tribes will get more support. I'm personally thinking mostly of werewolves, which only really appear on Innistrad. I'd go so far to say they're such a major part of the plane's identity that they likely won't show up elsewhere.

Of course, the way they could make this less annoying to me is if they changed the DFC distribution. But I doubt that'll be the case. And, of course, this could all be completely wrong and things could work out much better than I think they will. This is just my first reaction, and the main thing that is causing me to dislike the mechanic.

Also, as a note, I'm pretty confident it'll be 2-1 for draft.
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 28 Jun 2016, 06:59

So I'm obviously going to play Hanweir Garrison in Standard. The question is do I play the other half of it as well so I can get a legendary Ooze as well?
demiteddybear

Postby demiteddybear » 28 Jun 2016, 07:41

The garrison is the creature part of the card, so fitting in the battlements is easy as a land, or did you mean the other way around? If you meant what deck to put the garrison in I imagine WR humans will still be a viable deck, put it with the hanweir militia captain, thalia's leiutenant, always watching, westvale abbey and Gideon.
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 28 Jun 2016, 07:52

I play Mono Red in standard. The creature is an auto-include into the deck but I'm not sure about the land. I play 18 land in the deck and adding colourless sources makes it weaker. The land would then let me play a couple copies of Sea Gate Wreckage for some card draw though. And the Act of Treason Eldrazi.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 28 Jun 2016, 13:07

There is also a fairly hefty (for mono-red) mana investment, and it feels a bit overkill. It's probably more at home in r/x midrange of some sort.

Holy moly, Human decks are looking ridiculous though. Really hoping for more strong tribal support across the board.

Similarly, I really want to play with Niblis of Frost in w/u Spirits - but currently that's a deck that thrives on a high creature count, I don't know if a sufficient mass of instants & sorceries can be squeezed into the deck to justify running Nibbles.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 28 Jun 2016, 14:19

Personally, if you're running the creature anyways and it's a mono-colored deck, I'd run the land too. It's non-legendary, has utility by itself thanks to giving haste for cheap, and sometimes you get a huge creature to help finish up the game. It doesn't even have a ETB tapped downside. Being able to run Act of Eldrazi seems strong as well. Though I don't know if I would run Sea Gat Wreckage at that point with that low of a land count.

I guess the better question is just how demanding the colors are. I'd run some number of them. But the number depends on color requirements.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 28 Jun 2016, 14:31

Maybe have the land take up a "spell slot" and still have 18 red lands?
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 28 Jun 2016, 15:32

I'd happily go 3 and 3 on Sea Gate and Hanweir Battlements. I don't think that'd impact my mana base too much but it'd still give me consistency in land.And I could always side them out since I don't use all of my side board.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 28 Jun 2016, 17:39

That seems like a fair read. I would likely go 4/2 towards Hanweird myself. Mostly due to the fact that its abilities don't require another colorless source. But having six in the deck makes having two colorless sources more reasonable to expect and the draw ability is more relevant overall. It feels like something you'll want to test in order to get a feel for, though.

Also, going back to my earlier ranting, it looks like all the DFCs in the set besides Ulrich are going to be based on Emrakul's mutations, as confirmed by MaRo himself. Personally, I'm disappointed that its going to take up nearly the entire focus of DFCs. Which is one of the most interesting mechanics I feel Innistrad has.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”