Standard Discussion

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
square1
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby square1 » 01 May 2016, 17:06

Won Game Day here with GB hypnotoad [above]. I can't adequately describe how good it feels to resolve Seasons Past and put 5-6 cards back in your hand.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 01 May 2016, 20:40

I went 1-2 at my first Game Day with my CoCo Pups. Mostly thanks to a mull to three on one game three. It showed me it's really weak to fliers, and I was more willing to bring in Clip Wings after that.

Second Game Day, I went 3-0 for the win. My favorite play was against W/B control. Game three, turn 3 for me, I swing for 4 with a flipped Lambholt Pacifist. I look at the cards in my hand. A lot of cards I could play. But instead, I pass. My opponent untaps, and plays their fourth land, and goes to play Languish. In response, I flash in the Howlpack Resurgence I had in my hand, sensing they had a Languish on their end. Pumped my guy to a 5/5 trample and got one of the strongest cards against my deck out of their hand. All thanks to a good read on the situation.
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 02 May 2016, 05:24

I went 2-3 with my deck, so I didn't make top 8. I was flooding in a lot of games despite keeping solid hands, so I guess luck was not on my side.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 05 May 2016, 15:13

So I just came across the Cryptolith Grinder combo on Reddit, go on this journey with me:

Turn 1: Mountain, Kolaghan Stormsinger (or Lightning Berserker or Village Messenger or Zurgo).
Turn 2: Forest, Cryptolith Rite, tap Stormsinger for a second Stormsinger, (maybe chain a few more).
Turn 3: Mountain, tap three land and a Stormsinger for Zada, tap second Stormsinger to Expedite Zada (draw three cards), tap Zada for Vines of the Recluse (everyone +1/+2 and untaps), more mana available for Zada + Slip Through Space / Confront the Unknown shenanigans. Combo off.

It's... so beautiful...
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 13 May 2016, 15:24

Won Standard FNM tonight. I feel like mono red might not have been picked up on by other people yet if I'm doing this well with it.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 20 May 2016, 20:45

RadioshackRaider wrote:Won Standard FNM tonight. I feel like mono red might not have been picked up on by other people yet if I'm doing this well with it.

I haven't seen anyone playing or talking about it, but I'm intrigued. List?
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 23 May 2016, 15:22

fantôme wrote:
RadioshackRaider wrote:Won Standard FNM tonight. I feel like mono red might not have been picked up on by other people yet if I'm doing this well with it.

I haven't seen anyone playing or talking about it, but I'm intrigued. List?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mono-red-2016/ This is the list. It went 2/4 at my stores PPTQ, but all the games were very, very close. I've enjoyed playing the deck and I think it's pretty good. Crumble to Dust is surprisingly good.
Lycodrake
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Lycodrake » 03 Jun 2016, 19:18

1-3 tonight at FNM. My standard deck is crap and I don't have the trade stuff or the $ to improve it. What trade stuff I have people already either have or don't need, and the stuff I need/want people are already using if they have it.

...sometimes I despise the 2ndary market intensely...
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 03 Jun 2016, 23:33

Lycodrake wrote:1-3 tonight at FNM. My standard deck is crap and I don't have the trade stuff or the $ to improve it. What trade stuff I have people already either have or don't need, and the stuff I need/want people are already using if they have it.

...sometimes I despise the 2ndary market intensely...

Sell cards online? You can usually get pretty decent prices with bonus store credit if you're buying straight back from them. I actually kind of love that the secondary market lets me cycle through so many different decks.
Lycodrake
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Lycodrake » 04 Jun 2016, 18:30

I'm...limited in selling venues. I can have a friend trade/sell cards for me via ebay, but there's a limit to time on that - secondary market fluctuates too quickly for me to feel comfortable.

...I regret trading my foil Gideon, Ally of Zendikar for 3 Deathmist Raptors now...lost so much over time...
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 13 Jun 2016, 04:49

Went 4-0 last FNM, for the first time. Feels good to fly to the top with Ojutai :)
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 16 Jun 2016, 11:52

Phi wrote:Went 4-0 last FNM, for the first time. Feels good to fly to the top with Ojutai :)

Nice one! Standard is the one format I've never been able to win an FNM with, so I'm going to try something a little different with my next deck, first draft: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/infinite-statue/
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 30 Jun 2016, 07:31

I'm brewing a GB Treeskaidekaphobia deck, and I'm wondering what good removal is in Green Black.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 30 Jun 2016, 10:56

Murder is gonna be in EMN. Ruinous Path is fine. Are you gonna play Ass Form too?
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 30 Jun 2016, 12:10

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-branches-to-hang-from/
There's the decklist as it stands currently. I don't think I have enough creatures to benefit from Ass Form too well, especially since it would hinder one of them, but it's supposed to get death touch, so I don't know that it matters too much.

Edit: Related, but why is Victim of Night not played in Modern? Is it because the BB is harder to cast for 2 color decks? Or do people just not realize how good it is?
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 30 Jun 2016, 15:08

I've actually seen it be played in Modern. It's just one of those cards that's never really been played. The deck seems fine. The only card I don't like much is the Vessal, and IDK what you could play instead. Some Hand attack maybe to disrupt your opp's early game?
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 30 Jun 2016, 16:55

The vessel is for delerium and to fuel the soul separator. If I don't have a triskai, it's easier to kill someone at one life than at 13, but if you have a better option, I'd seriously love to hear it.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 30 Jun 2016, 23:08

I like the Vessel here - there are a number of pieces and factors required for this combo to come together, the Vessel helps with them all. I'd also like Ayli in this deck - she's a great plan B use of Tree if you just need to gain 13 life and Vindicate some things, and she blocks well enough to keep you alive a while longer.

You could definitely get away with a few less lands, and yeah there's really no reason not to play a single Assault Formation.

There's this, the Demonic Cat combo, Eldritch Evolution for the two existing infinite combos - are we seeing a resurgence in combo decks?
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 01 Jul 2016, 04:47

fantôme wrote:I like the Vessel here - there are a number of pieces and factors required for this combo to come together, the Vessel helps with them all. I'd also like Ayli in this deck - she's a great plan B use of Tree if you just need to gain 13 life and Vindicate some things, and she blocks well enough to keep you alive a while longer.

You could definitely get away with a few less lands, and yeah there's really no reason not to play a single Assault Formation.

There's this, the Demonic Cat combo, Eldritch Evolution for the two existing infinite combos - are we seeing a resurgence in combo decks?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-branches-to-hang-from/
I'm wary of going below 20 lands, I usually like 22 for 60 card decks, just to make sure I have enough mana, but then I usually play higher drops... Regardless, I don't think Ayli is a good idea here, mostly because she'd require white mana. I don't want to stretch my manabase too much.

Edit: I really miscounted, and apparently missed 4 cards that I'd normally use as spells in my deck. Didn't realize the original build had 26 lands... but yes, Ass Form is a really good idea in this deck, so I've got 3 in there now. Just wondering if Prey Upon reprint would be better than Hero's Landfall.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 04 Jul 2016, 20:43

I'm looking into trying to brew up a standard WB lifegain deck for my girlfriend that could be FNM competitive. Any suggestions? I want to top the curve at 4 for Cliffhaven vamp and Drana's pridemate.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 04 Jul 2016, 23:15

I really hope they print more targeted lifegain for a Tainted Remedy lifegain? deck. Currently there's only Healing Hands and Blessed Alliance, Triskaidekaphobia also works.

Regular lifegain is best built around triggering Pious Evangel / Wayward Disciple (and similar effects) as much as possible, imo. Allies also a solid subtheme.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 05 Jul 2016, 20:14

Idea for standard: Ass form, a bunch of 0 power Abzan creatures, and the enchantment that gives your creatures skulk. Someone brew this.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 05 Jul 2016, 23:12

Skulking Bottom:
4 Assault Formation
4 Behind the Scenes
4 Vessel of Nascency
4 Shape the Sands
4 Jaddi Offshoot
4 Tree of Perdition
2 Soul Separater
4 Permeating Mass
4 Declaration in Stone
Land, etc.

Turns out there are not many zero power Abzan creatures, but Permeating Mass is also great/hilarious with Assault Formation, and Triskatree is a beating all on it's own.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 06 Jul 2016, 17:22

One card I'd have in this deck is Silent Skimmer. effectively a 6/4 flier when ass form comes out.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 10 Jul 2016, 19:54

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/perfection-comes-for-you/
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hedron-dust-may-cause-lycanthropy/
I brewed these up today, super quick, so they're probably not the best, but I'd love to hear some feedback on each of them. The first one is an idea that I had when Perfect Cell (Docent of Perfection) was spoiled, but I also recognize that you could probably take out the enchantment and toss in more tempo/removal.
As for the second one, oh god is it funny to play at the very least. If you can manage to untap with 4 of the "target creature" spells in hand and 4 mana, you can get an insane amount of damage going at your opponent, but then that is just "win more"

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”