LoadingReadyLIVE [the show, not the channel]

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
Graham
Super Moderator

LoadingReadyLIVE [the show, not the channel]

Postby Graham » 28 Jun 2016, 00:01

Lord Hosk mentioned on Twitter that we ought to have a thread for this and... yeah, wow, we should!

Discuss LoadingReadyLIVE here!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Re: LoadingReadyLIVE [the show, not the channel]

Postby Kapol » 28 Jun 2016, 03:41

There's only one thing that's slightly bothered me so far. I'm not sure how well the "This is Live, and something's gonna happen" slogan works. It didn't seem to work in the second episode. But that felt like it was due to the fact Beej had to rush it out. I felt it didn't work in third episode. The problem there seemed to be it felt odd to have Kathleen breaking character at the very end though.

The fourth episode's was the only one that felt like it worked to me since it really worked. The first one, without the 'this is Live' worked a lot better, I feel. But at the same time I do like the branding there.

And like I said, that's the only thing that has even slightly bothered me. Otherwise it's been a ton of fun. There've been a few bits that kind of fell flat. But even those were decently entertaining. So far my favorites have been the 'panel show' type bits. Showcase Showdown, Raptor Tank, "Eat, Pray, Love," etc. Closely followed by the first prerecorded sections (Garage sales, Food Court Hax, and the like).
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 28 Jun 2016, 12:44

I've been watching LRR-produced videos for... *checks* around eight years now (really? dang), and have at some point seen the vast majority of their weekly sketches. As such, I've seen nearly the full evolution of LRR, as they've progressed from being just a bunch of friends dicking around with a camera, to becoming a part-time sketch comedy troupe, to becoming a full-time video production house, to this new, modern, largely fan-funded era, giving them the ability to experiment and make things like LoadingReadyLive possible. I say this because LRL clearly has the production values that you would expect from people with over a decade of experience making videos and posting them online. However, LoadingReadyLive to me, at its heart, at its core...

...is a bunch of friends dicking around with a camera. And I mean that in the most positive possible way.

LRL feels like a return to LRR's roots, backed up with modern technology and all the knowledge you've acquired along the way. I mean, stuff like Beej Eats the Whole Thing, Shame Inferno, and Food Court Hacks would feel right at home in the Sheer Stupidity section of LRR's past. Even though you're ostensibly making this for us, it feels like you're making it for yourselves, trying to entertain each other and crack up whoever's not in front of the camera, and we just happen to be along for the ride and can enjoy it vicariously through you. Which again, might sound like a criticism, but I don't mean it that way. It's great.

Not only are you guys essentially making a biweekly, 90-minute television program that you're independently producing, which itself is pretty fucking amazing, but you're doing it while reminding us all that you never forgot why you started making these videos in the first place. I think that's wonderful.
Necabo
First Video: an lrr vid on the escapist spring 2011

Postby Necabo » 29 Jun 2016, 11:07

Love LRL, It is a 90 minute TV show I actually like to watch :D
Like the segments, most of all the games and video segments. Less so the talky bits, but mostly because I listened to LRRcast on the bus and I like watching stuff move ;)
A pity I can never watch it live (~3am in the morning for me)
ImageImage

Twinklefeet
First Video: A Stitch in Time

Postby Twinklefeet » 30 Jun 2016, 15:15

I've been really enjoying LRL, it's great fun and overall I've loved every episode. I do have a couple of nitpicks though, the main one being that I often feel like segments go on for too long. Last week's discussion segment on remakes felt like a particularly bad one as it seemed to very quickly lose focus and became a bit of a meandering chat rather than an actual discussion. Ironically I actually loved those types of LRRcasts, but in the fast-paced world of LRL I don't think it works very well. Paradoxically it feels too long since it drags the speed of the episode down, but there's also not really enough time to get into real detail when three different people are discussing the topic. I feel like AskLRR has similar issues with overall pacing, but not to the same degree since, with a few different questions per segment, it's kept a lot more rapid-fire and on track.

I'm a little disappointed we haven't seen any non-talky segments return yet. I'm super happy to see new things and I feel like the episodes are getting better and better, but I can't help but think I'd like to see another Shame Inferno. With the show being fortnightly it feels like it's going to be months and months before we get to see returning segments.

I may sound like I'm being negative, but I genuinely love the show. I think it's probably one of my favourite things LRR has /ever/ produced and I look forward to every episode.
Gap Filler
First Video: The Job

Postby Gap Filler » 01 Jul 2016, 14:36

Maybe this is better in another thread but Rytel's comment has me wondering whether we're reaching the point where LRR is older than its fans (some of the new ones at least).

Then again I also watch Beej Eats the Whole Thing and think we're a long way from Tennis now.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 02 Jul 2016, 01:01

Kapol wrote:There's only one thing that's slightly bothered me so far. I'm not sure how well the "This is Live, and something's gonna happen" slogan works.
Well I'll tell you this: it wasn't written or planned to be "a slogan"... it just kinda went that way, and we're feeling out how it works. We really like it. Kathleen breaking character was very SNL, and it could go either way.

Twinklefeet wrote:I'm a little disappointed we haven't seen any non-talky segments return yet.
They will, assuredly. Especially Shame Inferno.

"Discussion Segment" and askLRR are necessary in the sense that we don't have to write them, but I'm going to take your other feedback of discussion on board as I'm inclined to agree.
Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 02 Jul 2016, 10:48

For my money, I really like how "This is Live..." sorta caught on as the unofficial tagline/opener for the first few episodes. It felt very "classic LRR", in that spirit of taking an improvised thing and just embracing it. Lord knows the fans do it themselves with all the in-jokes and references over the years (Fu¨t, anyone?), so it just feels... right, somehow to have it work out like that. Besides which, it's just a fun, simple line which works.

That said, I'm not married to it as a thing that necessarily has to happen - although it would probably be rather conspicuous if it were absent from the next weeks LRL, it wouldn't be at that "hey, you didn't say the thing, worst episode ever!" or whatever stage yet. So I guess... if you guys wanted to switch it up every now and then, I'd say you're best off doing that sooner rather than later before it gets in too deep.

Anyway, on the whole, I've been loving the shows so far. There's a few segments which I might not have found all that engaging personally (talking Overwatch, for example), BUT I realise that not every segment has to work just for me, and that it seems like the fans who are more into the subject matter of discussion would get a whole lot more out of it. I guess the point I'm clumsily stumbling my way towards is "some segments are objectively very nicely done, but subjectively... ehh (*insert horizontal wavy-hand gesture indicating neutral feelings towards a thing*)"

One little thought I had recently though was that, with some of the "challenge" segments, it feels like it's something you could set up at the head of the show, and then sorta leave "running in the background", cutting back to it between other segments. Eg: "so that's our feeling on (discussion topic du jour), let's check in with Beej and see how he's doing with that smoothie made of old shoes".

Of course, the obvious downside is that is would leave you (at minimum) a man down for essentially the whole show... I guess unless the challenges were pre-recorded (wait... are they already? I've been mostly fandrafting during LRL shows, so I probably missed some minor details).

Otherwise, it's going great so far!

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 02 Jul 2016, 11:43

I also really love this show, and am despaired that due to Magic it appears to be preempted for a month (the regularly scheduled episode is during their Eldritch Moon event).

That said, aside from the more microscopic topics ("what is your favourite Overwatch character?") which really are nothing to those not already 'in the know', I think the show has been a raging success. My wife would LOVE to see more of the Shame Inferno and the Make-up stuff (she herself is an avid make-up person), and I love it all! Good job, and carry on!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 02 Jul 2016, 19:02

Graham wrote:Well I'll tell you this: it wasn't written or planned to be "a slogan"... it just kinda went that way, and we're feeling out how it works. We really like it. Kathleen breaking character was very SNL, and it could go either way.

I didn't mean to imply it was meant as a slogan (which likely isn't the right term for it) from the beginning. It just seems to have evolved into one. I do like the catchphrase more after the latest episode of LRL. It just felt awkward the first two times it was fully formed. Kathleen breaking character might have been more jarring for me as I haven't seen much SNL.

But feeling it out and seeing if it works is a perfectly good thing to do. Me mentioning it was meant more as a minor quibble I meant was worth mentioning rather than a complaint. Because, honestly, it's the only thing I could think of to try to throw in as 'constructive criticism.' Apologies if it came off as more than that.
mtvcdm
First Video: Pokeproblem

Postby mtvcdm » 05 Jul 2016, 23:26

Regarding segment length, I remember reading once about how Johnny Carson paced the Tonight Show, and it seems like it might be helpful here:

Whenever possible, Carson would alter the length of a segment on the fly based on how the audience was reacting to it. As a guest act, you got X amount of time to do your thing. If you were bombing, you wouldn't even get that; Carson would cut you off early and head to commercial. If the crowd was really into you, though, and especially if Carson was too, he'd find a way to keep you on camera a little longer. It was always said among stand-up comedians of the era that the moment they knew they'd made it in show business was the moment at the end of their set when Carson invited them to come over to the couch and hang out a while.

That's not always possible with LRL segments, the prerecorded ones in particular, but it seems something to keep in mind. The chat is there; there is that instant feedback regarding how a segment is being received. If there's a segment that just doesn't seem to be hitting at all or feels like it's dragging, it might be able to be cut short (without making any public note of it, of course). In the event that a segment is absolutely doubling the chat over in laughter, and it can be stretched out, it might be worth it to do so. A good example would be Raptor Aquarium. If you'd decided that chat was super into it, it would be pretty easy to check around quick and see if there was anyone else available that wanted to make a pitch after Graham, Kathleen and Beej had finished up, such as, oh, say, the Alex in the next room whose sides were busy splitting.

15 minutes can be a loose guideline for a segment length, but don't feel like it should be a hard rule.
Ladsworld
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Ladsworld » 07 Jul 2016, 18:10

So what is the schedule for this show with the preprerelease? Will there be one next week?
Chat Name: DrChillbrain
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 07 Jul 2016, 20:23

Nope. This week is just skipped. There will be one in two weeks.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 23 Jul 2016, 23:39

So... how much do I have to bribe you guys to get a copy of the theme put up for sale in the store?
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
SoundGuy0dB
First Video: Checkpoint & Strip Search

Postby SoundGuy0dB » 24 Jul 2016, 05:36

Loved the 'Old storage formats' section of LRL this week. I still have my portable IOmega USP Zip drive with a 100Mb Disk & a 250Mb Disk. When I was doing Sound Engineering at College & University our computers had built in Zip drives.

I still have some of my old coursework on there :D

It was interesting hearing about some of the stuff I didn't know about.

One of the weirdest Formats we studied was Super Audio CD made by Sony & Phillips. Was kinda like DVD for High Fidelity Multi-Channel Audio (Including Surround Sound) with a built in CD layer as well.

It never took off but it was interesting to note that the PS3/PS4 Blue-Ray drives support the format.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 24 Jul 2016, 08:36

The show was really good this week!

The Trivia contest kinda went off the rails and never came back.

I think the powerpoint was kind of a miss; Kathleen was fine, Graham was fine, both had a couple of funny hits. Beej was on point with the uncomfortable presenter but it all went on too long.

I think the punishment was good but a onscreen caption of what the item is would have been helpful.

Storage formats was great.

The cold open was amazing in its fail.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 24 Jul 2016, 10:12

The PowerPoint could have being tightened up a bit into shorter presentations, but I really liked how it went.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 24 Jul 2016, 12:15

Is it strange that about halfway through Beej's presentation, I suddenly realised I knew what he was talking about?

Algorithms for processing stress in Finite Element Analysis models, if anyone's wondering (I think, at least).
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Necabo
First Video: an lrr vid on the escapist spring 2011

Postby Necabo » 24 Jul 2016, 12:17

Lord Hosk wrote:The show was really good this week!

The Trivia contest kinda went off the rails and never came back.

I think the powerpoint was kind of a miss; Kathleen was fine, Graham was fine, both had a couple of funny hits. Beej was on point with the uncomfortable presenter but it all went on too long.

I think the punishment was good but a onscreen caption of what the item is would have been helpful.

Storage formats was great.

The cold open was amazing in its fail.

I agree with Hosk here, for some reason the Trivia was great on the Podcasts but for some reason it lost a little bit of steam here.

Also this one felt a little less tight in its transitions for some reason. Can't put my finger on it exactly.
ImageImage

abyssalCompiler
First Video: Doctors Hate Her

Postby abyssalCompiler » 24 Jul 2016, 12:28

For the Powerpoint segment, I felt like Beej's part went on too long but otherwise, it was really funny to me, especially Kathleen's.

Also, the obsolete formats segment was really interesting to me since I've always been fascinated by old formats. Somewhat related, this website may be relevant to others who enjoyed that segment as much as I did.
~Shameless plug for my art/creative works blog~
http://abyssalcompiler.tumblr.com/

My twitter: https://twitter.com/abyssalcompiler
Bergie

Postby Bergie » 24 Jul 2016, 12:59

1) I liked the powerpoint segment, but the fact that (to me anyway) Beej's was so esoteric and arcane really did not allow him to make any jokes, which really killed the segment (Beej did what he could and I commend him for salvaging comedy out of it!). Would like seeing more of this, however.

2) I usually like the Trivia challenge, and I was thoroughly amused by the x/6's scoring system, but I (and by their faces, at least some of the participants) seemed to have lost interest way before the segment ended. A few less options presented for questions (like name all three Fates) and keep to single word/concept items probably would work better in the live format.

3) Loved the Dusty Road segment. This was amazing (sorry, Ian).

The other segments were either good or not my jam, and the stinger while amusing didn't quite work for me (I think it would have worked better as a Crapshot with a bit more structure).

Keep up the good work!
Bergie

Postby Bergie » 31 Jul 2016, 19:50

@ Cori - In Episode 3 you mention good doughnuts in Edmonton. Whereabouts?
mikeyjh
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby mikeyjh » 07 Aug 2016, 13:05

RE:Episode 6

Liked the show.

With the games now under way a show like yours almost has to do their own version.

I liked the hopscotch event.

I look forward to the winter version.

I personally think the bannannannana shouldn't have represented Canada. Should have represented the Banananana Republic. Hey! if James can represent a mythical place so can the bannannnananna.

Just for the record I believe the bannannnana and cori are two different beings.
kodra
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Postby kodra » 10 Aug 2016, 13:04

Really digging LRL, but definitely missing certain LRRcast topics. Any chance of us seeing Beej, Heather, Cori, and Ian anime season reviews in the upcoming shows?
Is a big fan of Panic! at the Disco
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Aug 2016, 16:08

They've said they have something planned.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”