Ghostbusters 2016

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

Are you going to see it?

Yes
19%
No
46%
Not sure
11%
Yes, but not in the cinema
24%

Total votes: 37
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Re: Ghostbusters 2016

Postby Genghis Ares » 07 Jul 2016, 00:01

I'm not going to see it. if it's on netflix and the reviews say it's average or better, or maybe just from morbid curiosity, I might see it sometime.

I was reticent when they announced the remake/reboot/sequel. I didn't really care that it was going to be an all-female cast, although it is a kind of out of nowhere idea where you wonder what the motivation is beyond just making a good movie.

I remember hearing that it was not a reboot, but a sort of spinoff where the original Ghostbusters franchised the business, and this new cast was opening their Ghostbusters franchise in their town. I thought this sounded like an interesting way to bring back the series.

But then, apparently, it just became a full-on remake and the trailer sucks. The new song is awful. And then the negative reaction to the movie was glossed-over and the blame shifted to the critics themselves by calling them haters and sexist assholes. They exist, sure, but that doesn't negate all the criticism.
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 07 Jul 2016, 05:20

The motivation is not exactly a secret. Hollywood is desperate to show there's no room for invention in movies, so that they can keep doing the same things and know that's going to make them the most money. If something that's never been done before - a flashy action movie with four leading women - can succeed, it shows there is still room for inventions. As you can imagine, this is important to the creative folks who want to use movies to tell stories.

It's not that Hollywood - the people in the business of investing in and producing big-budget movies, to be specific - are sexist, which they certainly are, as a group, but the consequences of that sexism that should bother even the most hilariously deluded anti-feminist is that it keeps movies from trying new things. This movie seeks to change that.

Heck, the radical thing they're giving a chance to fail here is still just a remake. It's as safe as it could be. There's no way it won't make everyone happy. If it succeeds it's either because it's a remake or because it does things no movie has attempted before; if it fails it's also because of those things, depending on who you ask.

In the best case, we may get a whole trend of all-women remakes. This is also the worst case depending on how much you don't want movies about women. Me, I can stand it as long as it means more movies about women.
Last edited by Amake on 07 Jul 2016, 05:51, edited 3 times in total.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
Darkflame
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Darkflame » 07 Jul 2016, 05:21

Indeed, GhostBusters3 was in the works for a _long_ time, with basically that scenario.
I think as far back as 2008 there was "starts filming next year!" style news that kept amounting to nothing.
http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 07 Jul 2016, 06:11

Best case is a slue of all female remakes? That seems really uncreative and pandering. "We can't think of anything good for you, here leftovers of what's already been done because we know it will work on a title and not your own merit."
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 07 Jul 2016, 06:59

My 2 cents: I think the decision to have a female main cast is a good idea. In theory, it could give some much needed exposure to underrated girl comedians.

But, unless the film gets really good reviews, I'm staying far away from this unfunny trainwreck.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Amake

Postby Amake » 07 Jul 2016, 07:00

Elomin Sha wrote:Best case is a slue of all female remakes? That seems really uncreative and pandering. "We can't think of anything good for you, here leftovers of what's already been done because we know it will work on a title and not your own merit."

It is better than nothing.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 07 Jul 2016, 07:30

Amake wrote:
Elomin Sha wrote:Best case is a slue of all female remakes? That seems really uncreative and pandering. "We can't think of anything good for you, here leftovers of what's already been done because we know it will work on a title and not your own merit."

Pretty sad way to look at it.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 07 Jul 2016, 08:37

Also inaccurate; The money could have been spent elsewhere.

Robo4900 wrote:My 2 cents: I think the decision to have a female main cast is a good idea. In theory, it could give some much needed exposure to underrated girl comedians.

But, unless the film gets really good reviews, I'm staying far away from this unfunny trainwreck.

I fear the worse: "This movie didn't do well! Clearly that means people don't like female stars!"

The other annoying thing with this is there is probably a gap in the market for this sort of "supernatural comedy". There isn't that many films like Ghostbusters out there. RIPD being the only thing recently that came close in terms of themes. Other then that...I dunno...get Peter Jackson to do another Frighteners maybe.
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
Arclight_Dynamo
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 07 Jul 2016, 08:43

Darkflame wrote:I fear the worse: "This movie didn't do well! Clearly that means people don't like female stars!"

I'm kind of afraid of that, too. It would be a shame for this to turn into something that hurts women in film.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 07 Jul 2016, 08:47

Nah, this is stunt filmmaking of the lowest order. Pass.

Amake wrote:

So is Mighty No. 9, and fucking look at it.
MetricFurlong
First Video: Phone Manner

Postby MetricFurlong » 07 Jul 2016, 09:05

Arclight_Dynamo wrote:
The real hell of it is that this film has been turned into yet another battleground for the Nerd Culture Wars. Liking/not liking this film, even before you've seen it, has been turned into a proxy for holding certain social and political beliefs.

Yeah. Sadly, I think the last (almost) two years have demonstrated that the internet is now in an 'Eternal August' situation, so we can look-forward to more examples of this as time passes. Especially if/when increasingly desperate studios start trying to exploit this as free advertising.

Darkflame wrote:I fear the worse: "This movie didn't do well! Clearly that means people don't like female stars!"

A lot of investors/execs already think the latter sentence to an entrenched enough degree that it's unlikely a single film is going to measurably alter that one way or the other.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 07 Jul 2016, 09:32

I wonder if this will be the century's version of Blaxplotation films.
Amake

Postby Amake » 07 Jul 2016, 10:42

Elomin Sha wrote:
Amake wrote:

Pretty sad way to look at it.

You got any better ideas for reinventing Hollywood?
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 07 Jul 2016, 10:56

Amake wrote:You got any better ideas for reinventing Hollywood?

Heeeeeeeey, it's me. You should know the answer. It's fire. Lots and lots of fire.
It's not really Hollywood you neeed to change it is what people will pay for (what quite a few don't want to do with this film).
Why do most people like the Transformers series of films? Useless Megan Fox luxuriating on cars and motorcycles and it is aimed for the not too bright people.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 07 Jul 2016, 12:18

To answer the original question, I won't be seeing it in the theatre. I only go to maybe three or four movies a year, at most, and rarely comedies. I'm super picky about my comedies, and nothing I've seen has made me think this one will be worth the cost. On top of that, I wasn't crazy about the original Ghostbusters (shocking and outrageous, I'm sure) so while I won't be upset if it isn't a faithful recreation or whatever, I also have no attachment to the source material.

That said, I'll probably end up seeing it in the next couple of years sometime. Not going to go out of my way for it, but if I'm looking for a movie and it's on Netflix? Might give it a try.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Psyclone
First Video: Christmas Carolling on Halloween

Postby Psyclone » 07 Jul 2016, 13:00

korvys wrote:There are definitely people who are not seeing the movie because they don't like the idea of the female cast.
There are definitely people who are not seeing the movie because they don't think it will be good.
Most of the people in the first group insist they are people in the second group.
Most of the people in the second group insist they are people in the second group.
I'm sure you see the problem.

That's fantastically worded, korvys, I'm hanging onto that for future reference.

I'm probably not going to see it, because like most of you I don't have the money to spend on it and the trailer didn't make it look very good, and I've never really been a fan of Melissa McCarthy. I'm disappointed that the movie looks like it's going to be pretty generic and not very funny, and I'm baffled by Chris Hemsworth's role as the cute, unintentional misogynist played for laughs. It just seems kind of meh. Who knows, though, maybe the actual movie'll prove us all wrong. I'm holding out until we know more, I guess.

I mean, I SHOULD see it just to prove wrong all of the jerks saying it'll do poorly because it's 4 women, but TFA's box-office records didn't manage to convince the people angry about Star Wars they were wrong, so I'm not sure it matters.
They/them/their pronouns

twitch: armadillorampant
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 07 Jul 2016, 13:54

I have the money to spend to go to films. I just choose not to. I wanted to see Kung Fu Panda 3, really like that series but I chose to wait because it's not something to rush out and see.

korvys wrote:There are definitely people who are not seeing the movie because they don't like the idea of the female cast.
There are definitely people who are not seeing the movie because they don't think it will be good.
Most of the people in the first group insist they are people in the second group.
Most of the people in the second group insist they are people in the second group.
I'm sure you see the problem.

Go into the depths and not ride the surface tension:

Point 1 - (A) There are people who will go with that because it's women and they think women suck as comediennes, actors and people. Personally I can't really think of any female commediennes I think could work in there besides Tina Fey. Jo Bran I think would be good as a pseudo patronising Peter Venkman, because that's what she's good at if you've seen QI.(B) Some Peple don't find these women legitemately funny (I don't). (C) Some think there's no need for it.

Point 2 - (A) People who don't like remakes/reboots or new products that cause negative feeling of something people loved/grew up with/first memory. A lot of people have this sort of things: Religion, sports teams, ours. Is it silly to hold something so dear to you to the point of almost being a sacred icon? Oh yes. (B) Everyone's a critique. We've all had ideas of how things should have gone or could have gone in films or books (fan fiction). There are also some critics from the internet (who have no obligation by contract) to see it, or could have some gripes against a company for some ligitamate.illigitamate reason.

Point 3 - (A) Take a little from Point 4-A. (B) It'll be multiple different brushe strokes of individual people with their own reasons. My Grandfather (on my mother's side) would probably fall in to Point 1-A. He disliked recent Doctor Who because of the cramming in of female actors all over the place.

Point 4 - (A) Most probably are because they have come to a conclusion through well thought out reasons looking at different areas (New theme song, trailers, TV spots, interviews, press releases. (B) And there are those who went off one thing, first trailer, and that was it for them (maybe due to their time being 'precious' to them and not wanting to look further. People are hardarsed when they come to a decision, shouting doesn't change it much.

No one wants to talk about the after trailer handling of the film? Can't bog this down on just because it's women, hence why I put up multiple aspects.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 07 Jul 2016, 16:09

I am not going to judge this film until I've actually seen it.

Trailers rarely have anything to do with the final cut of a film anymore - I'm sure we can all list off fantastic films that looked like they'd be garbage based on the trailers that were put out, and even more films that seemed like they'd be unforgettable pieces of cinematic history by their trailers that were huge disappointments.

As for basing my opinion from other people citing rumour, media hype, stories printed in Variety or posted on rottentomatoes.com or, heaven forbid, marketing by the corporation selling the product, before the film even reaches advance screening? Yeahhhh...

I don't go to the theatre anymore; the time and expense involved has never been rewarded adequately for me in the past...thirty years, when ticket prices were rising much faster than inflation and/or the cost of living, but still were infinitesimally smaller than they are now. So even if this film turns out to take the title of "my favourite film of all time", it won't be because I travelled miles and paid a day's wages to wedge myself into a cramped seat in a tiny booth of a 'theatre' to sit through more ads than one gets in two hours of network television, and then have to watch the entire film in one go without bathroom breaks or - worse yet - the chance to briefly rewind to catch that critical line of whispered dialogue because I had the misfortune to hiccough when it was delivered.

If the film becomes available to me, I may well watch it if I have the spare time, but I doubt I'll go looking for it; I often don't have two or three hours of free time available in one solid chunk at this stage of my life.

Until I watch it, however, I refuse to state whether it's a good or bad film.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 07 Jul 2016, 16:25

I am not going to go out of my way to watch this but if friends are going to see it I might tag along. I have gone to movies before that I knew were rubbish before hand (X-Men: Apocalypse, the 2014 TMNT movie) just to be social.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 07 Jul 2016, 16:50

Genghis Ares wrote:I remember hearing that it was not a reboot, but a sort of spinoff where the original Ghostbusters franchised the business, and this new cast was opening their Ghostbusters franchise in their town. I thought this sounded like an interesting way to bring back the series.
I was full-on excited when I heard that was happening...

My disappointment in finding out that it's a full reboot instead may have colored my perceptions, granted.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Amake

Postby Amake » 08 Jul 2016, 17:49

Elomin Sha wrote:
Amake wrote:You got any better ideas for reinventing Hollywood?

Heeeeeeeey, it's me. You should know the answer. It's fire. Lots and lots of fire.
It's not really Hollywood you neeed to change it is what people will pay for (what quite a few don't want to do with this film).
Why do most people like the Transformers series of films? Useless Megan Fox luxuriating on cars and motorcycles and it is aimed for the not too bright people.

Well, that's not really feasible so I still only have the options of a) doing nothing or b) encouraging movies that do something, anything new.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 09 Jul 2016, 03:01

That's a defeatest attitude. It's already happening, maybe in a nother generation better films will come along. Won't happen over night.
Amake

Postby Amake » 09 Jul 2016, 04:34

I agree with all of those things except your first sentence. I don't understand how doing what I can to help it happen faster is defeatist?
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 09 Jul 2016, 11:40

My bad. I was refering to the people who like stuff that is stupid.

There's a review out from someone who went to a pseudo premiere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Pvk70Gx6c

In short, he didn't like much of it. Very salty.
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 10 Jul 2016, 12:41

www.comicbookresources.com has a positive review of it, but havnt read it myself.

Incidentally, Kung Fu Panda 3 is by far the best looking of the series. Lots of great artistic lighting effects - not just in flashbacks. Story so-so. But certainly nice to see them moving away from the typical rendering styles most of these things have.
--

Return to “General Discussion”