Super Moderator

Tinker, Tailor, Solder, Fry

Postby Graham » 28 Jun 2016, 00:02

Discussion thread for Tinker, Tailor, Solder, Fry
Lysander
First Video: Daily Drop: Eggs

Re: Tinker, Tailor, Solder, Fry

Postby Lysander » 18 Jul 2016, 16:08

This is a really great show. Entertaining, soothing, and fun to watch. It inspires me to get the crafting tools out of storage and actually try the stuff I've been planning.

Can we post project ideas for future episodes here? Or links to craft projects that we've found while exploring the internets? Or would you prefer us to start up a separate page for that?
ihorner
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby ihorner » 09 Aug 2016, 08:40

Tonic Recipie from 2016-08-08:
http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2008 ... nic-water/

This is the recipe I found. It turned out quite nice, and I will definitely be making it again. Need to come up with some way to tweak it too. Definitely needs sweetener!
KyrieEleison
First Video: Desert Bus 5

Postby KyrieEleison » 04 Sep 2016, 15:59

I am currently watching the August 23 episode and noticed that the "Commercial Break" slide (the one with "Tinker Tailor...") has "commercial" misspelled.

Unless of course that was intentional, considering how Ian prefers the alternative/British pronunciation of "solder," in which case I retract my post. :)

And I do love watching "Tinker Tailor." While it hasn't inspired me to take up any new crafts (other than maybe attempting a royal icing), I do enjoy watching other people be crafty and seeing projects come together.
It's not epic unless it's dactylic hexameter.

landofanalie.wordpress.com
ihorner

Postby ihorner » 14 Sep 2016, 08:06

Lysander wrote:This is a really great show. Entertaining, soothing, and fun to watch. It inspires me to get the crafting tools out of storage and actually try the stuff I've been planning.

Can we post project ideas for future episodes here? Or links to craft projects that we've found while exploring the internets? Or would you prefer us to start up a separate page for that?

That sounds like a great idea. If you've got a project idea you'd like to suggest, please feel free to link it here. We can always use more suggestions.
ihorner

Postby ihorner » 14 Sep 2016, 08:07

KyrieEleison wrote:I am currently watching the August 23 episode and noticed that the "Commercial Break" slide (the one with "Tinker Tailor...") has "commercial" misspelled.

Unless of course that was intentional, considering how Ian prefers the alternative/British pronunciation of "solder," in which case I retract my post. :)

And I do love watching "Tinker Tailor." While it hasn't inspired me to take up any new crafts (other than maybe attempting a royal icing), I do enjoy watching other people be crafty and seeing projects come together.

No retraction necessarily. I'll forward that along to Paul. I'm glad the show is inspiring to you as it is to us!
ihorner

Postby ihorner » 17 Oct 2016, 13:48

If you're interested in following along with the TTSF stream for 2016-10-17, here is tonight's recipe.

Texan Reverend's Broccoli Pizza Crust:
Ingredients:

1-2 larger or 2-3 smaller sized heads of broccoli - should yield 2 to 3 cups once processed
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1-2 large eggs
Optional seasonings:
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
a few shakes of crushed red pepper

Wash the broccoli and allow it to fully dry.

Pre-heat the oven to 450°.

Cut off the florets; you don't want much stem. Run the florets through the juicer, and discard the juice.* You should end up with 2 to 3 cups broccoli pulp. Put the pulp into a microwave safe bowl and heat it for 2-3 minutes. Dump it onto a clean tea towel, and wring it out, really torque it. You want to squeeze out as much water as possible. This way you get a proper pizza like crust instead of a crumbly mess, thus ensuring the pizza has enough structure to keep from falling apart when sliced.

On the baking sheet, place a large piece of parchment paper and spray or spread a 10"-12" circle of olive oil.

Dump the dry broccoli into a large mixing bowl. Add 1/2 cup shredded cheese, any seasonings you decide on, and then one large egg. Mix/knead until it's all the same consistency and there are no pockets of egg or dry broccoli. As with normal dough, hand mixing tends to work best here. If the dough is still too dry or crumbly, add a second egg.

Once mixed together, use your hands to form the dough into a crust on your oiled parchment paper. Pat it down thoroughly; you want it nice and tightly formed together without any cracks or holes. Ensure that the edges stay the same thickness as the rest of the crust rather than tapering down.

Place the baking sheet into the oven. Bake for 10 - 20 minutes, until it starts to turn golden brown and the cheese begins to bubble. The time varies wildly depending on the oven. So, go off of looks more than time, and don't rush or the crust may fall apart. Take it out, and let it set for at least a couple minutes.

Now, add however much sauce, cheese, and toppings you want. Slide the baking sheet with the topped pizza back in the oven and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes until the cheese is melted, bubbly, and slightly golden.

My personal pizza is:
Classico Spicy Tomato and Basil pasta sauce
Fresh mozzarella ball sliced into rounds
Italian blend shredded cheese
Dollops of ricotta
Bell peppers
Black olives
Mushrooms
Cherry tomato slices
Pineapple
Jalapeño
Fresh basil
Crushed red pepper flakes

*If a juicer is not available, a food processor will work. However, it will require you to wring out much more water by hand.
Texan_Reverend
First Video: Feed Dump

Postby Texan_Reverend » 17 Oct 2016, 20:16

Here is an example shot of my finished veggie pizza:
http://imgur.com/UVUDw7Q
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 18 Oct 2016, 12:07

Question: Can we get a recipe for you okonomiyaki? This is something that I would like to try.
ihorner

Postby ihorner » 25 Oct 2016, 07:53

Texan_Reverend wrote:Here is an example shot of my finished veggie pizza:
http://imgur.com/UVUDw7Q

This is clearly what one of these pizzas can look like when you've had some practice. Damn that looks tasty.
ihorner

Postby ihorner » 25 Oct 2016, 07:54

Bergie wrote:Question: Can we get a recipe for you okonomiyaki? This is something that I would like to try.

I got mine from friends and the back of the package. The best place for actual recipes though is Okonomiyaki World. http://okonomiyakiworld.com/

Good luck!
Hotliquidjello
First Video: It's Magic

Postby Hotliquidjello » 27 Nov 2016, 22:09

Question: can we please get Ian's recipe for a traditional pizza dough as well?
squaredotcube
First Video: Ways to Whiten your Teeth

Postby squaredotcube » 10 Dec 2016, 18:53

I saw this earlier today and thought, "Hey, maybe they can fix the DS4 controller that's been through some heavy Bloodborne play!"
poopintheairtonight
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby poopintheairtonight » 03 Feb 2017, 07:01

Starting off: The youtube upload for Bricking a Dreamcast/Painting warhammer figurines is missing audio after the last commercial break.

All these PC builds on TTSF has gotten me thinking about building a new gaming pc. However AGP graphics and windows xp were still relatively new the last time I built a pc from scratch. Can anyone recommend parts/components for a good "budget" but strong pc build? I wouldn't mind seeing a pcpartpicker list for builds like Kate's/Ben's/Heathers.
Well, do you want an ethical solution or an effective one?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 03 Feb 2017, 17:44

I tweeted this to Ian, and he seemed hyped for it, but might as well record it here too: Adam Savage/Michael (VSauce) Glasses Hack (which originally comes from Penn Jillette)

Putting microphones directly in glasses would be good, particularly since there is a large contingent of glasses-wearing folks in LRR. The mic is difficult to notice on-camera. There's good sound quality. There are many good reasons why LRR should apply this glasses/mic hack. :-)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 11 Apr 2017, 18:11

As if to 100% disprove Kathleen: It is actually remarkably easy to burn your food by being too hot. I was making a mushroom/chicken stew and left to catch a pokemon without turning the braise back down from about 3/4 temperature to get it back up after stirring. 15 minutes later, and now supper is pretty much dead now.

Remember kids, don't be afraid to have a hot pan, but always pay attention!
ihorner

Postby ihorner » 17 May 2017, 15:42

As promised, here is the recipe for the vegan pressure cooker risotto.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/pressure-cooker-miso-risotto-recipe.html

Enjoy!
Arclight_Dynamo
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 27 May 2017, 20:52

Watching the most recent Tabletop Day stream, it struck me that a long format stream like that might be interesting to see for TTSF.

The idea is that, over the course of the day, people would switch in and out to work on their particular projects. The interesting part of this arrangement is that it would allow time for longer projects to be streamed - if, for example, something needs to cook for three hours, it could be prepared, set to boil while someone else does their project, then returned to after the necessary time has passed. It would allow projects that would otherwise not be feasible to be streamed.

I had hoped that it could be on some sort of "International Makers' Day," or something, but there doesn't seem to be one.

Anyway, I recognize this would take a lot of work, and might not be something anyone is interested in... but I thought that maybe someone just might. I'd certainly love to see it.
Ivalenz
First Video: Ways to Get Rid of Your Christmas Tree

Postby Ivalenz » 10 Sep 2017, 01:50

@ihorner,

With Moonbase Mk V's three studios, and a proliferation of home studios, might you be interested in building your own acoustic panels and bass traps? There is more tech involved in acoustical engineering than sticking egg crate foam on walls, yet all the parts can be acquired from your local home improvement super center. Physically tune your streaming studio or listening lounge while having the satisfaction of learning it yourself. E.g. https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/bass-traps/

But wait, there is more tinkering that can be done. That is if you wish to measure first. Using a free piece of software, Room EQ Wizard (REW), https://www.roomeqwizard.com/, you can measure your room's performance and target specific problems and optimize for certain uses. E.g. Room Acoustic Analysis/Measurement with Room Eq Wizard, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYOlC1onguI. TTSF meets LRRTech. Yummy.

I'm knee and elbow deep in a long term acoustical battle of my own, so ping me if you'd like to compare notes.
ihorner

Postby ihorner » 03 Oct 2017, 11:18

As promised, here's the instructions and parts list for what got done on the 2017-10-02 TTSF.

Homebridge Setup on Raspberry Pi
https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge/wiki/Running-HomeBridge-on-a-Raspberry-Pi

ihorner

Postby ihorner » 28 Nov 2017, 13:53

As promised for the 2017-11-27 Episode here are the recipes.

Fruitcake
1 pound x Brown sugar (454g)
1/2 pound x Butter (227g)
1 pound x Currants (454g)
1 pound x Raisins (454g)
1 pound x Dates (Usually sold as "cooking dates", often in a block, these need finely chopping first) (454g)

4 x Eggs

1/4 pound x chopped Almonds (113g)
1/4 pound x chopped Walnuts (113g)
1/2 teaspoon x ground Cloves
1/2 teaspoon x ground Allspice
1/2 teaspoon x ground Mace
1 teaspoon x ground Mixed Spice
1/2 teaspoon x Vanilla
1 teaspoon x Baking Soda
1 cup x Mixed Peel
1/2 cup x Brandy
2 1/2 cups x flour

Scottish Shortbread
3 heaping tablespoons rice flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 pound butter (soft, at room temperature)
4 1/4 cusp of white all-purpose flour

Eggnog
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/eggnog-recipe2-2013745
KyrieEleison
First Video: Desert Bus 5

Postby KyrieEleison » 28 Nov 2017, 21:34

I just caught this week's holiday baking via the archive. I'm definitely on Team More Cooking Please, and I'm excited to try the Scottish shortbread. Please share my thanks to Mr. "Graham's Dad" Stark for coming by the Moonbase to hang out and share some family recipes!
It's not epic unless it's dactylic hexameter.

landofanalie.wordpress.com
Blix
First Video: The Job

Postby Blix » 02 Dec 2017, 22:34

What were the cook times and temperature for the Short bread and Fruit cake?
theo5p
First Video: Desertbus live feed

Postby theo5p » 03 Dec 2017, 16:55

For the shortbread bake at 325F for an hour in a conventional oven.
Asyndyn
First Video: Probably Unskippable

Postby Asyndyn » 05 Feb 2018, 04:48

Can we get the recipes for the 2017-12-11 Broadcast (cooking with ben)?

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”