Foods What We Have Made And Eaten

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Re: Foods What We Have Made And Eaten

Postby viscomica » 17 Dec 2015, 18:48

Hey folks!
Do any of you know any fun recepies for a person following a diet?
I've been on a diet for about... three or four weeks now and I'm starting to get tired of always eating the same things.
(FYI, I can't eat dary, can't eat carbs, can't fry anything and can only use like one spoonful of oil to cook, can't have any dressings and can't eat sugar nor butter at all. I can eat plenty of veggies and meat like twice a week)
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 17 Dec 2015, 21:59

Alton Brown has some really good soup recipes you should check out. Also he just has amazing recipes in general you should look at. I know he has a vegetarian soup featuring kale and white beans. It does all for a parmesan rind, but that is easily cut out making it vegan friendly. I can't for the life of me remember what is called though.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 18 Dec 2015, 05:46

MinniChi wrote:Alton Brown has some really good soup recipes you should check out. Also he just has amazing recipes in general you should look at. I know he has a vegetarian soup featuring kale and white beans. It does all for a parmesan rind, but that is easily cut out making it vegan friendly. I can't for the life of me remember what is called though.

Yay! thanks I'll look it up
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 22 Dec 2015, 19:35

Hello! Does anyone know how to make hummus? I love it! But here in Argentina it's kind of hard to get so I was thinking maybe I can try making it if that's even possible? Is it simple enough? Also, is it... er.... fattening?
If anyone knows the answer to all or any of those questions I'll be really thankful! :D
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 22 Dec 2015, 20:05

I could be totally off-base with this, but I feel like AlexanderDitto has talked about making it?

Which I realize doesn't answer anything, but I have nothing useful to contribute. :P
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
MinniChi

Postby MinniChi » 23 Dec 2015, 07:54

viscomica wrote:Hello! Does anyone know how to make hummus? I love it! But here in Argentina it's kind of hard to get so I was thinking maybe I can try making it if that's even possible? Is it simple enough? Also, is it... er.... fattening?
If anyone knows the answer to all or any of those questions I'll be really thankful! :D

I know nothing about if it's fattening. There is oil in it yes, but you can use really good oil and replace some with your flavoring.

Hummus:

Chickpeas (canned is easiest) Also look for Garbonzo beans if you can't find chick peas. They are actually the same thing.
Tahini (Sesame seed paste)
Olive oil (or flavored oils work well too)
Salt
Lemon
Flavorings (I love lots of garlic/roasted garlic in mine, you can also use sun dried tomatoes, roasted red pepper, parsley, etc)

You need a food processor for this. 1 large can of chickpeas, about 2 tbsp. tahini, pinch of salt, and your flavor. Buzz in food processor and add olive oil until you like the consistency. Use a really good fruity olive oil for this. You will taste it, so best to break out the good stuff.

Bonus: Chocolate chip cookie dough hummus
Chick peas
Peanut butter
Syrup/honey (Agave syrup, honey, maple syrup, you choose)
Tasteless oil (I still like olive oil for this though)
Chocolate chips

Buzz everything in the food processor, except the chocolate chips. Using the same rough amounts as above. just keep tasting until you like it.
Stir in the chocolate chips by hand and serve with fresh fruit. It's a healthy snack, but looks like you're eating cookie dough.

Edit: Googled it, you can use water in place of oil, though the mouth feel may be a little different.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 23 Dec 2015, 08:54

MinniChi wrote:
viscomica wrote:Hello! Does anyone know how to make hummus? I love it! But here in Argentina it's kind of hard to get so I was thinking maybe I can try making it if that's even possible? Is it simple enough? Also, is it... er.... fattening?

I know nothing about if it's fattening. There is oil in it yes, but you can use really good oil and replace some with your flavoring.

Hummus:

Chickpeas (canned is easiest) Also look for Garbonzo beans if you can't find chick peas. They are actually the same thing.
Tahini (Sesame seed paste)
Olive oil (or flavored oils work well too)
Salt
Lemon
Flavorings (I love lots of garlic/roasted garlic in mine, you can also use sun dried tomatoes, roasted red pepper, parsley, etc)

You need a food processor for this. 1 large can of chickpeas, about 2 tbsp. tahini, pinch of salt, and your flavor. Buzz in food processor and add olive oil until you like the consistency. Use a really good fruity olive oil for this. You will taste it, so best to break out the good stuff.

Bonus: Chocolate chip cookie dough hummus
Chick peas
Peanut butter
Syrup/honey (Agave syrup, honey, maple syrup, you choose)
Tasteless oil (I still like olive oil for this though)
Chocolate chips

Buzz everything in the food processor, except the chocolate chips. Using the same rough amounts as above. just keep tasting until you like it.
Stir in the chocolate chips by hand and serve with fresh fruit. It's a healthy snack, but looks like you're eating cookie dough.

Edit: Googled it, you can use water in place of oil, though the mouth feel may be a little different.

Yay! Thank you so much! I have everything I need to make it at home actually (except for the tahini, which I will have to buy) though I might buy more sun dried tomatoes.
Yum!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 23 Dec 2015, 12:38

When I was living in Chile we made hummus but forgot to include the oil and used garlic instead of tahini for flavouring. It still tasted good but it had a different, drier texture to usual hummus.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 29 Dec 2015, 19:19

Thank you both! :)
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 29 Dec 2015, 19:25

Thank you both! :)
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 18 Feb 2016, 22:31

Baked my birthday cake today!

Kind of proud of it even though I know it doesn't look remotely professional, but it's my first experiment with this particular (vegan) recipe.

Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 23 Feb 2016, 05:28

Was chaos.

My buttercream icing turned to toffee.
The cake broke up into tectonic plates.
The replacement buttercream icing was slap-dash.

Tastes nice though.

I know how to make a Halloween cake if I ever need to. Oh, and raspberry toffee.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 22 Mar 2016, 06:57

Panellets, wave #2

(Not spelled "PanAllets" since that would be funny.)
Mums
First Video: Checkpoint "Socially inept"

Postby Mums » 01 May 2016, 02:23

I don't usually post pictures of things I've made, but this time I'm especially proud of myself.
I made a 7 course dinner for my brothers 30th birthday.

Pictures are of the courses in order.
collapsed to not take up all the space in the world

Buffalo mozzarella and tomatoes with balsamic vinegar pearls and a ruccola "spaghetti"

Beetroot risotto with goatscheese and goatcheese cremé, pickled beetroot cubes, white wine gel and beetroot gel and corriander seeds

Blackroot noodles in a cream and truffle oil sauce

Duck breast with pumpkin puré, sauce and port wine gel

Carrot, orange and mango juice inside a thin gel sphere with rose sugar and rosewater

Snow egg: Meringue sphere with pineapple ice cream inside, water melon granita and vanilla custard with papaya puré

Dessert plate: Orange flower water pannacotta, blueberry and strawberry sorbets, broken up choclate muffin with beetroot gel and macarons (unfortunately I didn't have time to make the macarons so they are store bought)
Sit down. Get ready. Sit down again!

The perfectly lying, lying bastad!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 02 May 2016, 13:48

Tonight I made what is becoming my typical Sunday dinner - roast vegetables and pan fried salmon. I just slice up some potatoes, a carrot and an onion and roast them in the oven for an hour with olive oil, sea salt and whole cloves of garlic. I don't fry the salmon with any seasoning or oil. Simple sometimes is best.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
MinniChi

Postby MinniChi » 08 May 2016, 18:18

So Buzzfeed/Tasty has a video out of mini smores pies. I made 2 large ones. They are so rich. I mean, eat tiny pieces. With milk.
Arclight_Dynamo
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 09 Aug 2016, 11:10

Here's a traditional Acadian recipe that my family makes. It's called "Rappie Pie" (pronounced "roppy pie") - from the French "râpé" ("grated") referring to the grated potatoes that make up the majority of the dish.

This is basically the Acadian national dish, and there are variations all through Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. This variety is specifically from the "French Shore" of Nova Scotia, near Yarmouth, where my mother's side of the family is from.

Word of warning... it is not a very pretty dish. It looks very unappetizing - like snot, really - but it's delicious.

Anyway, I asked Ian if he'd like the recipe last night during TTSF, and said I'd post it on the forums. So here it is!

Rappie Pie

Ingredients:

• 15 lbs of potatoes (big and starchy, Idahos preferred)
• 1 whole chicken or other fowl
• Some chicken quarters with bones (legs and thighs – dark, fatty meat – necessary)
• 9 onions (strong, yellow cooking onions)
• 1 carrot
• 1 stalk of celery
• Salt pork belly
• Salt to taste
• Pepper to taste
• Butter
• Two large, rectangular, disposable aluminum casserole pans

Directions:

• Peel carrot, trim celery stalk, and roughly chop onions
• Boil carrot, celery stalk, onions, and chicken in the largest pot of water you can manage – you’re making chicken stock, and will need to make at least 16 cups
• Season with salt and pepper to taste
• After the stock is made, remove the carrot and celery. Discard
• Remove the meat, debone it, and shred/cut it into bite-sized pieces it. Set it aside
• Strain the stock to remove any chicken bones. Discard them, but be sure to retain the boiled onions. Place them to the side
• Return the pot of stock to the stovetop, and keep it warm. Do not boil it yet, as you don’t want it to boil off
• Peel the potatoes and leave them in a sink full of cold water
• Grate the potatoes. You can grate them by hand, but this will take forever (if you grate them by hand, you will need to squeeze the juice out of them using cheesecloth). It’s better to use a vegetable juicer – preferably a model that centrifuges the pulp. The idea here is to remove the juice (and thus the starch) from your potatoes, leaving the pulp as dry as possible. Retain the pulp in a bowl, and note the amount of juice you remove from it before discarding the juice. Noting the amount of juice you get from your potatoes is very important
• Once all your potatoes are grated or juiced, bring your chicken stock to a boil. Pre-heat your oven to 325 F
• Add the boiling stock, 2 cups at a time, to the potato pulp. After each addition of stock, mix well and vigorously. You are using the hot stock to scald the potato pulp. The total amount of stock you are adding is at least the same as the amount of potato juice you removed and noted. The general idea is that you have removed the liquid from the potatoes, and are now replacing that liquid with chicken stock. Note: often you will need to add 2-4 cups of stock more than the exact amount of potato juice you removed – you are looking for your potatoes to turn a grey, translucent colour. You may also add more stock if you prefer a runnier finished dish. Note: when ladling the stock from the pot, dig deep. The seasoning accumulates at the bottom of the pot; you want that in your potatoes. I usually use a small saucepan as a ladle, transfer the stock into a heat-resistant Pyrex measuring cup, then use that to add two cups of stock to the grated potatoes
• After you have added your stock and scalded your potatoes, you may notice larger chunks of potato slices in your bowl. Feel free to remove and discard those. While not strictly necessary, it does help create a more consistent finished dish
• Mix your cooked onions into your scalded potatoes
• Grease your pans with butter
• Half-fill your pans with potatoes, cover with chicken, then cover with remaining potatoes
• Cut pork belly into 12 pieces. Push the pieces into potatoes at regular intervals, six per pan
• Dot potatoes with butter
• Place pans in pre-heated oven for 1 ½ to 2 hours. The tops of the pies should be browned
• When finished, serve slices either as-is or topped with a pat of butter and some fancy molasses

If anyone ever takes a crack at making it, I'd love to hear about it!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 09 Aug 2016, 12:21

I can confirm that Rappie Pie is delicious, and I have seen old ladies nearly come to blows over the proper way to make it.

It's a "big deal" in small towns across the maritimes.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Arclight_Dynamo
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 09 Aug 2016, 12:40

Ha! Yeah, that sounds right. All my aunts get really weird when they talk about it. It's their favourite thing ever.

And, yes, there's a lot of "You do it that way? That's stupid!" with it. Ah, traditions...

:D
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 20 Aug 2016, 14:38

MinniChi

Postby MinniChi » 12 Sep 2016, 10:37

I made Pumpkin cookies! Vegan ones and not so vegan ones (made the not so vegan ones such by adding butterscotch chips). It was an experiment in food and was given the 5 star by my youngest son. Pictures once they're all baked and the older one gets to try them. Gotta make sure he approves as well.

Cookies got eaten before pictures could be taken :( :cry:
NebulosDisconcertion
First Video: Pony Time

Postby NebulosDisconcertion » 25 Sep 2016, 10:07

I made Rice Krispie Squares; except I used Reese Puffs instead of Rice Krispies and they weren't square. Not sure what to call them. Reese... marshy... amorphouses.
Here's where the picture would go, if it wasn't so blurry. Anyway, they looked really gross while they were cooling off. The marshmallow slime got all stringy and it looked like an egg mass from some creature with the wrong number of any appendage you'd care to name.
They were quite tasty.
betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby betsytheripper » 25 Sep 2016, 21:31

Chocolate silk + strawberry pie.

Happy birthday to me.
-betsy
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 25 Sep 2016, 22:21

Wait, we have the same birthday? Happy birthday! :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:

Also I thought that was meat while I was scrolling down, but it looks far more appealing now that I realized it isn't. :P
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby betsytheripper » 25 Sep 2016, 22:35

Ah birthday buds! Happy birthday to you, as well!

I have a better, clearer, macro pic I'll be posting to insta tomorrow along with a link to the recipe, but yeah, the candlelight doesn't do it much justice. :D I'll crosspost here when I get to it. Along, I guess, with the salad I made today, for actual content. :P
-betsy

Return to “General Discussion”