Alex's Stream Shelter? Safe Spaces? Echo Chambers? DISCUSS.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Alex's Stream Shelter? Safe Spaces? Echo Chambers? DISCUSS.

Postby empath » 14 Nov 2016, 16:14

Right.

The forum populace has had some lively debate about an issue, and despite the appropriateness of discussing this in a thread meant merely as a notification (poorly, admittedly, but still), the debate IS VALUED.

As such, the same discourse is encouraged, either in the original thread, or here.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Re: Alex's Stream Shelter? Safe Spaces? Echo Chambers? DISCU

Postby Elomin Sha » 14 Nov 2016, 16:20

I'm not sure creating another thread is warranted. The other one is already it. Then again, the title of it doesn't say it.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
ReilaOda
First Video: IDDQderp Stalker COP EP 1

Postby ReilaOda » 14 Nov 2016, 16:22

Elomin Sha wrote:I'm not sure creating another thread is warranted. The other one is already it. Then again, the title of it doesn't say it.

This is just for clarity so we can all keep it straight. Hope to see you here.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 14 Nov 2016, 16:24

ReilaOda wrote:
Elomin Sha wrote:I'm not sure creating another thread is warranted. The other one is already it. Then again, the title of it doesn't say it.

This is just for clarity so we can all keep it straight. Hope to see you here.

When I said I had no social life in the other thread, I wasn't joking.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 14 Nov 2016, 20:11

If anything, there should be a separate thread for coordinating and discussing details of the stream, because at this point, 90% of that thread is the debate, so just let it be there.
Image Image Image
ReilaOda

Postby ReilaOda » 14 Nov 2016, 20:22

Sieg Reyu wrote:If anything, there should be a separate thread for coordinating and discussing details of the stream, because at this point, 90% of that thread is the debate, so just let it be there.

That thread devolved into a lot of bickering on both sides, It might be wise to give this a fresh start so people can be more objective.
Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 14 Nov 2016, 20:25

Well, if you want me to copy paste my novela, I'm game.

ReilaOda wrote:
Avistew wrote:I was following this thread with interest, and suddenly, a post saying that Wraith is banned temporarily, after he's agreed to disagree with one of the posters, and been from what I could see no worse than several people who disagreed with him and were not banned. Locking the thread would have been a bad idea, but this was even worse. It makes it look like anyone who disagrees with the majority opinion here is silenced. If you can't take care of the forums while Desert bus is going on, shut down the whole forum for cause of Desert Bus or something. This reaction just looked like the kind of things Wraith was talking about of Trump voters getting assaulted without any concern about why they voted for Trump, because they voted differently so of course they must be racist, sexist, islamophobic, homophobic and so on, which clearly isn't actually the case, and even if it was, assaulting them would not be okay.

Definitely the wrong call here. I sent him a PM in solidarity but since I have no idea if he can read PMs or respond (and because I don't want to just state my solidarity in private like I'm ashamed of it or something), I thought I'd state it here too for the record.

Now if the problem is that this is the wrong thread for the current discussion, maybe a solution would have been to create a new thread and direct people to it.

I disagree with you wholeheartedly that him being banned for being what the mod perceived as highly abrasive demonstrates anything. He got under peoples skin, which he is allowed to do, but when this thread was never about his opinion, or anyone's opinion on a safe space, it was the wrong place to do that. As with all things, ask for a discussion, propose a debate. Don't just go around calling people tumblerina's without evidence. Thus he got smacked for it. *Shrug*

(I also freely admit I made such an accusation and am prepared to be punted just the same way in the interest of fairness)

Accusations without evidence are a good reason to be banned regardless of the issue.

If anyone wants to discuss the stream shelter on another thread, or safe spaces in general I'm more then happy to do so. Fire away, but I'm going to be making a seperate thread for the shelter, and it's related discussion so that we're not getting this mixed up any further. After my shift.

The LRR forums has a long and storied history of threads going off topic and turning in to discussions of something completely off topic. Some of the longest threads here were created in response to another thread going incredibly off topic. Like the aptly named Hijack Thread. So yeah, I think the appropriate response should be creating a new thread and let that discussion happen there.

I think its great that you feel that you are equally to blame, but I find it a bit bizarre because it implies that either one of you did naything wrong. You had a debate. It got heated. Thats how things go. And that you think either of you should be punished is even more bizarre.

I mean you both made great points. And I think the butting of heads comes down to a difference of perception. Like the idea of tough love. Tough love works when the person giving it understands the issue.. Telling someone with depression to "suck it up" isn't tough love. From the sound of it, that is what some of you faced under the guise of Tough Love, but really its just a cruel reminder of what you can't have or can't do. Even if the person means well, which they usually do, it can really hurt. Tough love is telling someone forcefully to just "fucking go see a therapist already" or "take your fucking meds" or "get outside, go for a fucking walk." Maybe giving them a firm shake of the shoulders. These are things that the lovee are capable are doing things they should be doing, things that can help, but perhaps the lovee hasn't been doing or doesn't want to do. Or maybe an extreme circumstance, dragging someone kicking and screaming to a hospital when they get suicidal.

This is probably a little personal but fuck it, overstepping lines is what I do worst. You mentioned being a transwoman. So lets talk about that. I don't know the details of your transition but lets assume for a moment that I do, and we'll pretend that whatever I'm saying applies directly to you. Lets go back to when you first started experiencing gender dismorphia, or perhaps when you first started understanding that what you were feeling wasn't 'normal.' I imagine for a while you kept it to yourself, just faking everything was fine. And maybe you told a few people, maybe anonymous people online. Let's pretend it was a close friend, and they were understanding. And they were supportive. At first. They were a listening post for your problems. Buts been a couple of years since you've told them, and even longer since you started feeling this way. And you've done nothing about it. You're still a man in your day to day life. So they start telling you to go see a Therapist or whoever you go to talk to about beginning your transition. And they hound you about you pushing you to do it until you do. That's tough love. And if that is where you are currently, then I am telling you that you need to speak with someone professional about it. Maybe you're self medicating your HRT but than can be incredibly dangerous, you should talk to someone. It probably seems super scary and it is. But you shouldn't be scared. Not because there is nothing to be afraid of, but because Image
(I think that was one of the points Wraith was trying to make earlier.) If it seems overwhelming, or are worried about getting a therapist who is just going to tell you to do deal with it, then put in some legwork. Google or ask around about a therapist that understands your battle. If you only focuse on the work cause scenario, instead of working towards eliminating that scenario you're not going to get anyway.

So let's keep going. Lets say instead that your friend told you to tell your parents. While this is something you should do at some point, its sketchy as tough love. There are a lot of variables that go in to whether or not the time is right. Clearly at this point, you know who you are, so that much is done. But maybe your parents are super SUPER conservative, and you're still living at home. And you know that no matter what you do, how you break the news, you are going to get kicked out of the house. To be honest, you are under no obligation to tell them, they can fuck right the fuck off. But as long as you live at home, you're going to have to postpone or hide your transition which can be super stressful which isn't healthy, so the better avenue is to push you to get out of the house. That way you can break the news right before you leave with your stuff fully packed and you can give them the double deuce as you walk out the door. But perhaps your parents are liberal. And your insurance is through them. You really need to tell them so you can get to a professional as mentioned above. Those are just two scenarios out of an uncountable amount. Which really illustrates the point that the person giving the tough love needs to fully understand the issue.

So you finally tell your parents. They're fairly moderate. They still love you, but they don't get it. They're shocked, your mom starts crying, asking what she did wrong, your father says he failed as a parent. They cry about for a few days but they start to cope. They think this is a phase or something they can fix so they tell you to just be happy with yourself as you are. Or maybe they send you to one of those "Pray the Gay Away" style camps. Fuck. That. Shit. And fuck them. Fuck 'em to death, to borrow a line from South Park.

When I first head the Alex Steacy talk about the storm shelter, I had a knee jerk cringe reaction to it, for the reasons expresed by Elomin and Wraith already. Having read through the thread, I feel I understand it better. Its not for me, but I get it. I think it was just poorly branded. The name Storm Shelter brings forth images of people hiding away until everything blows over. I live in an area prone to Tornadoes. You don't go down in to the basement until the Tornado Sirens start and you don't get out until its over. You don't leave to go to work or play video games. And if Trump getting elected getting elected is the storm, it implies people won't be coming out for four years. It sends the wrong message. I mean yeah sure you can call it whatever you want, and it has a catchy name, but a name like The Breakroom conjures the image of getting away from shitty customers and unwinding for a bit before you have to go back to the frontlines. Maybe you think changing the name is dumb or unjustified, but imagine it was called The Scaredy Cat Hidey place for Crybabies Who Can't Face Reality. I'm sure you can agree that that name doesn't represent the group. I'd like to nominate The "This Hour Sponsored by Dairy Queen®, 'Hot Eats, Cool Treats" All-The-Chill Zone.' Rolls off the tongue.

There are three ways to deal with Stress, burn, release, ignore. Two are healthy, one isn't. People like me and Wraith tend to burn our stress we metabolize it in to raw energy and use that energy, He likes to post incredibly long facebook rants. Sometimes I write, sometimes I work on sessions for the D&D campaigns I DM, but my favorite thing to do is brainstorm character ideas. I usually probably use that energy to do something more physical, but it is what it is.. Other people tend to meditate and reflect on the issue. "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change," and all that. Reminding yourself that the world isn't complete shit and suck. These are both valid ways of dealing with stress, and while people tend towrds one or the other, I feel like they do the other on occasion even if they don't realize it. I think it depends on how the initial stress makes you feel. When I get angry stressed, which is how I normally react, is when I burn the stress. When I get sad or worried stress, like when I get dumped, then I just listen to relaxing music and reflect on the fact that dying alone isn't as bad as its cracked up to be.

The problem is, when people see others reacting to stress in different ways, it seems to them like the other person is ignoring their stress. Which is the unhealthy one if you couldn't guess. I don't think anyone in this fanbase, and most of the people in the nation at large, is happy with this election as a whole. By the end most people were voting against the other candidate than for their own candidate. My roommate voted for Trump and he wasn't happy about it, he told me the next morning his first thought was "Fuck, I helped this happen." Personally I voted third party so I could absolve myself of any wrong doing no matter how the election went. If I had to vote, for one of the two, gun to my head, I would have voted Trump as well. Not because I thought he was better, but because my life motto is "Embrace Chaos" and Clinton would have been just bad enough for everything to be the same for the next four years, whereas Trump could be the shitshow of a President that we as a country need to find a paperclip and stick it in to the little hole in the back of the US for 15 seconds. But that is neither here nor there The point I was trying to get to was, we're all in this together, we're all dealing this in our own ways, so long as we're dealing and not hiding or ignoring. I'm sure you are familiar with the comic about a dog in a house fire so I'm not going to bother posting it. And unless they're not ignoring it, pretending everything is fine, we should accept each others way of handling with this.

Jesus fuck I was working on that for like 4 hours.
Image Image Image
Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 14 Nov 2016, 21:24

ReilaOda wrote:
Sieg Reyu wrote:[/just way too many goddamned words]
Can I just say how much I dig this response? Very well written, I appreciate that you took the time to explain that.

I think I want to take some of the ideas about branding further and work with those. These are all great points. I find it expresses a lot of what I wanted to say. That I get where Wraith was coming from, just my own paladin complex got in the way.
Yes you may. It feeds my desperate and lifelong need for approval.

I'd offer to be a sounding board/devils advocate for this, but who knows how much longer I'll be around before I disappear again. But I can do it freelance in the meantime. Though I honestly don't know if I have anything else to add.
Image Image Image
Arclight_Dynamo
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 14 Nov 2016, 22:15

Let's just consider, for a moment, that the person trying to apply "tough love" to me doesn't know me or my situation better than I do. Or better than my psychiatrist does.

Let's consider that I have effective, healthy ways to deal with stress given to my by my psychiatrist.

Let's consider that the Stream Shelter is part of that.

Now... tell me again how the "tough love" of telling me the Stream Shelter is harmful and bad and childish is superior to all of that.

Let's consider also that my mental health is, perhaps, none of your business.

Let's consider that giving unsolicited advice (especially unsolicited medical or mental health advice) is not only unwanted, but invasive and detrimental to my well-being.

All that to say: Let's consider that, just maybe, you shouldn't go butting into how other people deal with their problems. People you know nothing about. You want us to "be adults"? Leave us alone to solve our problems the way we know is best for us, unless we ask for your help.
Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 14 Nov 2016, 22:33

As a point of order, I just now googled you, since you mentioned streaming I figured you'd have an online presence. After looking through your twitter, and watching a couple of the short videos on what I assume is your youtube channel, you come off completely different than I imagined you based on what you posted in the thread. Which I think just goes back to my earlier point that we just don't know each other that well anymore. You seem like a pretty chill lady. I'm not really into Let's Plays or Streams so don't expect to see me in your chatroom or comment section. But you definitely deserve a twitter follow.
Image Image Image
ReilaOda

Postby ReilaOda » 14 Nov 2016, 23:00

Sieg Reyu wrote:As a point of order, I just now googled you, since you mentioned streaming I figured you'd have an online presence. After looking through your twitter, and watching a couple of the short videos on what I assume is your youtube channel, you come off completely different than I imagined you based on what you posted in the thread. Which I think just goes back to my earlier point that we just don't know each other that well anymore. You seem like a pretty chill lady. I'm not really into Let's Plays or Streams so don't expect to see me in your chatroom or comment section. But you definitely deserve a twitter follow.

I'm not sure who you're referring to but that's pretty epic. I'll be frank, I let emotion blind me, as sometimes happens when I have a passion project. The stream Shelter is a passion project one I'm deeply invested in. (Lets point out just how many hours total work I've put into it) If you count co-hosting easily 50-60 in the last week.

I think that's my mistake.
ReilaOda

Postby ReilaOda » 14 Nov 2016, 23:05

Arclight_Dynamo wrote:Let's just consider, for a moment, that the person trying to apply "tough love" to me doesn't know me or my situation better than I do. Or better than my psychiatrist does.

Let's consider that I have effective, healthy ways to deal with stress given to my by my psychiatrist.

Now... tell me again how the "tough love" of telling me the Stream Shelter is harmful and bad and childish is superior to all of that.

Let's consider also that my mental health is, perhaps, none of your business.

Let's consider that giving unsolicited advice (especially unsolicited medical or mental health advice) is not only unwanted, but invasive and detrimental to my well-being.

All that to say: Let's consider that, just maybe, you shouldn't go butting into how other people deal with their problems. People you know nothing about. You want us to "be adults"? Leave us alone to solve our problems the way we know is best for us, unless we ask for your help.

I think that's a side effect of our culture having two factions of expressing opinions and either being shouted at, or just blindly accepted. Those factions are represented by the other as evils so the middle ground look just as bad as the extreme. What I mean is that the group that takes everything as offensive brands those who are offensive as evil and vice versa. So those of us who legitimately are a hybrid are easy to be shouted at as if we're one or the other. So we end up with very polarizing opinionated responses.

Those two segments of maybe one or two percent create a perception that distorts how we treat eachother.
Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 14 Nov 2016, 23:14

Arclight_Dynamo wrote:Let's just consider, for a moment, that the person trying to apply "tough love" to me doesn't know me or my situation better than I do. Or better than my psychiatrist does.

I'm not arguing about whether or not what Wraith was doing should be considered tough love, because I don't feel like I could make that judgement call. Though I do feel a lot of it was coming from misunderstanding. I was just trying to make the point that that there was a difference of perception as to what 'tough love' is. Let's go back to the examples I gave

Sieg Reyu wrote:Telling someone with depression to "suck it up" isn't tough love. From the sound of it, that is what some of you faced under the guise of Tough Love, but really its just a cruel reminder of what you can't have or can't do. Even if the person means well, which they usually do, it can really hurt. Tough love is telling someone forcefully to just "fucking go see a therapist already" or "take your fucking meds" or "get outside, go for a fucking walk." Maybe giving them a firm shake of the shoulders. These are things that the lovee are capable of doing, things they should be doing, things that can help, but perhaps the lovee hasn't been doing or doesn't want to do. Or maybe an extreme circumstance, dragging someone kicking and screaming to a hospital when they get suicidal.
Okay, so the part in italics, is this similar to what you experienced as 'tough love?' Or are you willing to give examples? The stuff I bolded, how do you feel about them? Would you consider them to be effective or a good thing to do?

Arclight_Dynamo wrote:Let's consider also that my mental health is, perhaps, none of your business.

I will say this. You say you're seeing a therapist, preumably to talk about your problems. That is good, that is healthy. You are taking steps to fix the problems. Now imagine that instead of going to see a therapist, you just decided to ignore your issues and hide from them. Would you consider that as unhealthy?

ReilaOda wrote:I'm not sure who you're referring to but that's pretty epic
You. Arclight hadn't posted when I started that comment.

ReilaOda wrote:Those two segments of maybe one or two percent create a perception that distorts how we treat eachother.
QFE
Image Image Image
ReilaOda

Postby ReilaOda » 15 Nov 2016, 01:02

I think the best analogy we've come up with for the Stream Shelter is a bar. You're free to say what you want, act as you want, and while this is a place where we will be allowing people a chill environment to detox from the stresses of the world and garner great support from loving and caring people. You are effectively in our houses or a bar, and we can/will kick you out for being to big of a jerk. An accountable space, speak as you wish, just know that we will hold you accountable for being a giant jerk.
Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 15 Nov 2016, 01:55

ReilaOda wrote:I think the best analogy we've come up with for the Stream Shelter is a bar. You're free to say what you want, act as you want, and while this is a place where we will be allowing people a chill environment to detox from the stresses of the world and garner great support from loving and caring people. You are effectively in our houses or a bar, and we can/will kick you out for being to big of a jerk. An accountable space, speak as you wish, just know that we will hold you accountable for being a giant jerk.

I find that interesting because it sounds like you're describing what these forums used to be. I know I sound like a crotchety old fart, reminiscing about the good old days. Look how active this forum used to be. It took a little over a week for a thread to get knocked off the front page. viewforum.php?f=7&start=6700 I don't feel like finding the pinnacle of activity, that might be the record, who knows. Looking at page 2, to elminate stickies and the long running threads, we have posts spanning over three months.

I CANNOT stress just how important these forums are to me, even if I don't come here anymore. I think that is why I got upset in the other thread. Arguing was something that happened from time to time, it was almost always friendly, but occasionally people got a bit upset. and if it got too heated, the thread got locked down, but neither side was punished or made accountable. There is only one person I remember getting banned in my entire time here and that is because he was an outright troll.

But yeah, if that is the kind of environment, minus the arguing, that you are trying to recreate, a sort of Cheers "Where Everybody Knows Your Man" kind of vibe, then yeah, it absolutely should happen. Everyone should have something like that.

Question though because this is one thing that confused me. Why is this a stream vs something like a discord chat room? A chatroom seems more accessible and multipurpose? What benefits does a stream bring?
Image Image Image
ReilaOda

Postby ReilaOda » 15 Nov 2016, 02:01

Sieg Reyu wrote:
ReilaOda wrote:I think the best analogy we've come up with for the Stream Shelter is a bar. You're free to say what you want, act as you want, and while this is a place where we will be allowing people a chill environment to detox from the stresses of the world and garner great support from loving and caring people. You are effectively in our houses or a bar, and we can/will kick you out for being to big of a jerk. An accountable space, speak as you wish, just know that we will hold you accountable for being a giant jerk.

I find that interesting because it sounds like you're describing what these forums used to be. I know I sound like a crotchety old fart, reminiscing about the good old days. Look how active this forum used to be. It took a little over a week for a thread to get knocked off the front page. viewforum.php?f=7&start=6700 I don't feel like finding the pinnacle of activity, that might be the record, who knows. Looking at page 2, to elminate stickies and the long running threads, we have posts spanning over three months.

I CANNOT stress just how important these forums are to me, even if I don't come here anymore. I think that is why I got upset in the other thread. Arguing was something that happened from time to time, it was almost always friendly, but occasionally people got a bit upset. and if it got too heated, the thread got locked down, but neither side was punished or made accountable. There is only one person I remember getting banned in my entire time here and that is because he was an outright troll.

But yeah, if that is the kind of environment, minus the arguing, that you are trying to recreate, a sort of Cheers "Where Everybody Knows Your Man" kind of vibe, then yeah, it absolutely should happen. Everyone should have something like that.

Question though because this is one thing that confused me. Why is this a stream vs something like a discord chat room? A chatroom seems more accessible and multipurpose? What benefits does a stream bring?

I think it started cause Alex was using his stream to do it, Kidror joked about us keeping it going and then we did. I think it fell into place. I think the stream adds dynamic content with the ability to lurk. I think the reason discord would fall flat is there is a sort of unspoken social pressure. On stream you don't have to do the work being social. You just whip it open like you would a TV program and smile at people being dumb on the internet, is a 'hey we got this' atmosphere. Exactly what you're describing is the vibe we're going for. Everyone is cool with each-other.

Lets say the planets align and Wraith shows up in stream. I'm going to greet him the exact same and treat him like everybody else Same rules. Keep it classy.
Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 15 Nov 2016, 02:19

ReilaOda wrote:
Sieg Reyu wrote:

I think it started cause Alex was using his stream to do it, Kidror joked about us keeping it going and then we did. I think it fell into place. I think the stream adds dynamic content with the ability to lurk. I think the reason discord would fall flat is there is a sort of unspoken social pressure. On stream you don't have to do the work being social. You just whip it open like you would a TV program and smile at people being dumb on the internet, is a 'hey we got this' atmosphere. Exactly what you're describing is the vibe we're going for. Everyone is cool with each-other.

Lets say the planets align and Wraith shows up in stream. I'm going to greet him the exact same and treat him like everybody else Same rules. Keep it classy.
I'll try to check it out at some point once DB is over. I feel like something interesting could be done with a stream. Perhaps something that encourages audience participation but doesn't make it mandatory. I would like to get a feel for the atmosphere before I make any suggestions. My gut instinct is something tabletop because that is my deepest love. The way I understand it, it's 24/7 so I'm sure there's time slots to experiment and get weird with it.
Image Image Image
Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 15 Nov 2016, 02:22

The general discussion thread turned in to a debate and the debate thread turned in to a general discussion thread what the fuck.
Image Image Image
ReilaOda

Postby ReilaOda » 15 Nov 2016, 02:30

Sieg Reyu wrote:The general discussion thread turned in to a debate and the debate thread turned in to a general discussion thread what the fuck.

Something something internet, something something...
Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 15 Nov 2016, 04:43

The Eye of the Storm
Image Image Image
ReilaOda

Postby ReilaOda » 15 Nov 2016, 05:40

Sieg Reyu wrote:I'll try to check it out at some point once DB is over. I feel like something interesting could be done with a stream. Perhaps something that encourages audience participation but doesn't make it mandatory. I would like to get a feel for the atmosphere before I make any suggestions. My gut instinct is something tabletop because that is my deepest love. The way I understand it, it's 24/7 so I'm sure there's time slots to experiment and get weird with it.

Absolutely! I'm looking at running DND during it too, though I would have to let people know my campaigns get SUUUUUPER dark. :P

You're more then welcome to fire ideas back and forth. I use discord a lot so if you want to hammer out ideas feel free to ask for it. I'll Dm you or something.
jadamelio
First Video: The Cookie

Postby jadamelio » 15 Nov 2016, 10:03

What kind of d&d? :D
Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 15 Nov 2016, 10:57

Personally, if this turns in to something I want to be a part of, I would like to try running a crowd sourced Mutants and Masterminds game. Its a superhero themed tabletop rpg. Let anyone who wants to play submit a character, draw randomly for who the super team will be each week, and then everyone else will submit ideas for and vote on the enemies and plots for the week.
Image Image Image
jadamelio
First Video: The Cookie

Postby jadamelio » 15 Nov 2016, 11:40

Here's a random idea that just popped into my head for d&d stream with chat interactions: imagine the organization of the xcom games(not setting), where the is base management and high brass style decision making on one hand and the on the ground combat on the other.

Chat could perform like you said, choosing missions and making executive decisions. They would also choose candidates for missions (from a select cast, just to avoid problems).

Something like that to give chat a role in story rather than just choosing what to watch.
Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 15 Nov 2016, 13:07

I'm not familiar at all with xcom, so I would need to look into it. Though I don't think its a great idea to let the chat pick who goes on what missions because it could lead to people feeling underappreciated if they are picked infrequently or picked last. My idea was, lets say we get 10 people who want to play. You pick five out of a hat, they get week 1, the other five get week 2. All the names go back in, draw a new 5 for week 3, the rest go to week 4, etc. etc. Accommodations would of course need to be made around people not being able to make certain weeks, etc.
Image Image Image

Return to “General Discussion”