Doctor Who

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Robo4900 » 26 Apr 2016, 03:29

I think the most recent Christmas Special marked the last long-running plot thread to tie up(River Song), although I could be wrong(And honestly, I really hated most of the Matt Smith story arcs, so I'm sure I'm missing something).
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 26 Apr 2016, 06:17

I've actually stopped watching Doctor Who, the later series felt really jumbled together and I wasn't enjoying myself. And how they ruined the reveal of the Cybermen in St. Paul's turned me off.
I do prefer the earlier seres where they were a little more grounded.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Darkflame
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Darkflame » 26 Apr 2016, 09:11

Doctor Who was grounded? O_o
http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 26 Apr 2016, 09:51

As in it's not going too off the rails with randomness like Matt Smith's tenure.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 26 Apr 2016, 14:12

The teaser is meant to be a bit from a future episode. Which... kinda annoys me as I feel over Daleked. I forgot there was a two part Dalek episode last series, because we see them so often.
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 26 Apr 2016, 15:34

Generally yes, and yet they were good episodes. At least, I thought the idea of effectively "Dalek Undead" forever alive but near-helpless under their city was bloody creepy.
It added to the Dalek mythos really well I thought.

Elomin Sha wrote:As in it's not going too off the rails with randomness like Matt Smith's tenure.

I think once the earth has been stolen, theres not much further you can go really.
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 27 Apr 2016, 09:31

Elomin: I also was not a fan of Matt Smith's time, but they're definitely improving things heavily with Capaldi. Also, Moffat is leaving after the next season.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
DennyR

Postby DennyR » 28 Apr 2016, 05:18

I do wish we had a season or two without Daleks. They went from being wiped out along with the Time Lords, to reappearing at least once per season, and they're just over-saturated. Cybermen aren't quite as bad yet at least.

I prefer the Sontarans, I find them kinda funny (and I love Strax from the Paternoster gang). It'd also be nice to get a story about the Rutan Host, who I think have only ever had one TV story.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 29 Apr 2016, 05:07

I remember hearing that when they got the rights to use the Daleks at all in new Who (the BBC didn't actually own the rights to them), part of the licensing agreement was that they had to use them at least once per season.

So if they ever want to use the Daleks in the future (which they inevitably will), they have to keep using them now.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
tbug

Postby tbug » 29 Apr 2016, 05:59

Darkflame wrote:Anywho....any other outstanding little plot threads anyone can think of?
I cant think of anything I personally need resolved.

If you're asking about literally any who, then Seven teased that he's much more than just a time lord. There's also the whole Valeyard thing. Also, I need some closure regarding Ace.
Dale
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 29 Apr 2016, 07:28

Master Gunner wrote:I remember hearing that when they got the rights to use the Daleks at all in new Who (the BBC didn't actually own the rights to them), part of the licensing agreement was that they had to use them at least once per season.

So if they ever want to use the Daleks in the future (which they inevitably will), they have to keep using them now.

I am happy with easter eggs. Just, a rest from Dalek episodes.
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 29 Apr 2016, 07:48

The problem is not the Daleks themselves I think so much as using them for a generic "big villain". The good Dalek stories are good because they add to their mythos or in other ways give them a little twist - not because they are a "big bad threat".
In fact, I think Id go as far too say as you cant use them for a big threat anyone. By all means have a threatening, scary, Dalek - but dont have a "invasion" of them. Treat them like a species, a character, but not a "final boss"
--
tbug

Postby tbug » 02 May 2016, 08:50

I guess there's also the possible tie-in between the tuxedo he was wearing at the Pond wedding and the one he wore when River used up her regenerations.
Dale
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 18 Nov 2016, 15:10

Go watch Class.

It's like Torchwood in that it's Doctor Who with blood and blatant sexual tension, but because the demographic is Young Adults, it doesn't come across as immature. The tone is consistent. All 5 episodes have been good so far.
tbug

Postby tbug » 18 Nov 2016, 16:05

I'm enjoying it. Some episodes are better than others, for me. I also get more of a Buffy feel from it than a Doctor Who feel.
Dale
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 19 Nov 2016, 04:56

I've been busy the past month so i'm super behind on all sorts of tv, got Class all recorded and ready to watch though. Intrigued but going in with zero expectations.

Also new teaser clip for Christmas special looks... like something. Looks like something a bit different.
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 19 Nov 2016, 07:09

Liked the first episode.
Hated the second.
Haven't seen the rest.
--
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 11 Mar 2017, 19:14

Thought I'd blow some dust off this thread to talk a little about what I thought of the Power Of The Daleks animation. I personally sprung for the steelbook Blu-Ray, as it contains everything, plus it's in HD.

First up, story's great. There's a reason it has such a legendary status.
The animation is good, but not great. They chose a very realistic, detailed look, which ends up functioning rather like the Scooby Doo-type Filmation and Hanna Barbera cartoons; the stills look good, but the movement is at times jerky, and often leaves something to be desired in terms of expressiveness. Having said this, the story sucks you in enough that these shortcomings generally aren't too bothersome, and of course, this is infinitely superior to the telesnaps, so really, the animation is just fine. Could be better, but it's not bad at all, and does nothing to hinder the experience.
The extras are pretty good; camera scripts were scanned at a decent resolution, although some of the lines are a little difficult to read due to the poor condition of the material itself. The surviving clips are presented nicely, with even the shortest clips being included, giving you a good idea of what it would have originally looked like. Documentary is okay, but not great. Dalek voice session is a mild curiosity, but nothing more. I haven't checked out the commentaries yet, or the behind the scenes of the animation stuff, although these commentaries are usually good fun.
The telesnap recon, for those interested, is the same as the one from the VCD from way back, including the Anneke Wills narration. Unfortunately, it doesn't include any of the surviving clips, but I'm glad they included the telesnap recon, as it gives the set a more complete feel.
The booklet includes a lot of behind the scenes information, such as differences from the rehearsal scripts, stories from the production, etc. A very interesting read.

The sound is surprisingly good on it, although one episode(I think it's #4) is noticeably a little more muffled than the others. In general though, the quality is very good; the stereo/5.1 expansion isn't obnoxious at all, and thanks to the surviving original Dalek voice recordings and audio queues, there are some scenes that feel as if they were recorded yesterday, and it's handled in a way that doesn't feel at all jarring, which easily could have not been the case.

Overall, a solid release of a solid story, with some small shortcomings. Still, I hope to see this repeated in the future, particularly if they do Evil Of The Daleks next. :D
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 14 Mar 2017, 14:52

Thanks for the review, I'll try to check that out.
--
A few other random Who thoughts;

Class - Got better, with some nice ideas even if it didnt always quite match them. Thought the last episode was a bit cheap though, seemed to make some of the previous episodes events worthless. The last scene/reveal I also groaned at.
Really? We going to ruin the weeping angels even further? Each appearance they get less and less interesting

...which ties in with the Dalek talk above, and the new series trailer.
I know its a bit too much to expect amazing [i]new[/i ]monsters each week based on new concepts. But I find it hard to get excited by yet-another-appearance of a established one.
Moffats come up with one or two good ones in his run - the angels, the silence - being the most obvious. Early appearances of them being awesome. But the more they are used the rarer it is for them to be used in new ways, and stuff like Daleks and Cyberman maybe only...I dunno...1 in 5 times they are actually interesting now.
--
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Mar 2017, 16:28

So Dr. Who is going on the same trajectory with the Weeping Angels that Star Trek did with the Borg?

Also, the fact that spoiler tags just don't work in quotes is bull-honkey.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 14 Mar 2017, 18:19

I loved Miss Quill in Class.
Charlie and Matt were my second favourite.
I was apathetic towards the others.

The new trail seems alright.
Swansong series for Capaldi. How will Bill do with this series? Will she survive to the next show runner?
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 16 Apr 2017, 12:15

The Pilot was good fun, I liked the gradual progression of the story over a couple months angle. Bill seems like she'll make a good companion, but I think Nardol sticking around is a good addition as well.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 16 Apr 2017, 14:21

I agree.
tbug

Postby tbug » 16 Apr 2017, 19:48

I liked it. I'm still confused by the first twenty-five seconds, though. Are we supposed to infer that Nardole is an android? Perhaps a cyborg? I confess I'm vague on why he's no longer one of the king's spare heads.
Dale
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 17 Apr 2017, 06:30

I imagine his body is robotic, with his head being the only organic part. Would make sense, given the fact the king guy took his head.

I enjoyed the episode overall. In some ways, the plot felt like it was basically just an excuse for the Doctor to travel to various places, and show off to Bill... And I'm fine with that. The monster was a pretty cool concept, Bill's introduction was great, the references were pretty fun, Nardole had some good lines, and in general, it was just a good episode.
The Daleks thing was weird, and I have a feeling it was just there to get the contractual obligation of having Daleks in every season out of the way, but I do like the Destiny Of The Daleks reference.

Return to “General Discussion”