Welcome to the Hodor Squad

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
farleyf
First Video: Strip Search

Re: Welcome to the Hodor Squad

Postby farleyf » 24 Nov 2016, 00:11

my brother showed me today about the mines, i still have to get off the first island :p. But im taking my time with this game and trying to fill out the pokedex as much as possible
F For Farley
F For Flavors
F For Fabulous
F For Fast
F For Food

Come Join Hodor Squad
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

HS Discord Channel
https://discord.gg/JYqvAkU
Paranundrox
First Video: one of the Unskippable videos

Postby Paranundrox » 24 Nov 2016, 12:33

Right now I'm grinding up a bit before I fight the elite four, since I'm a bit underleveled. Primarily taking some time off to catch more Pokemon and try out the Battle Royale.

I know I mentioned it in chat in Stream, but I have an extra Rowlet available to trade, for Hodor High-Fiving purposes.I'll be at home all weekend, so I am free to trade pretty much anytime, and I'll be pingable in the Stream Chat and community Discord (both under this name) for trade.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 24 Nov 2016, 14:49

I am finding the game a little challenging. I had to concede and use potions in one fight because the opposing trainer had the type advantage.
Paranundrox

Postby Paranundrox » 24 Nov 2016, 14:57

About where are you in the game? It was pretty smooth sailing for me up until the Fire Totem, where I was not ready at all, and had to backtrack to get a level a Mudsdale, and the Grass Totem also gave me trouble until I ground my team up a few levels.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 24 Nov 2016, 14:58

As I mentioned before, if anyone wants the starters, Mimikyu, or anything else I have that's breedable (I have Sun right now), just let me know. I have Ditto now, so breeding should be pretty easy.

And I'm finding the game a bit tougher in general. Especially with wild Pokémon being able to summon buddies without using a move. That said, an overleveled Heel Wrestler and Rock Doge make most fights a snap right now. Those are the only two I have as 'party Pokemon' though. Right now I'm using Greninja and the pink kimono bug as well. But I'm EV training an Absol, Eevee, Alola Vulpix, and something else to use as my party.
Paranundrox

Postby Paranundrox » 24 Nov 2016, 15:02

I also have a Ditto, and access to all 3 starters. I'm in the process of fighting the E4 as we speak, and will probably focus on completing my regional dex after this, so I am more than willing to breed Pokemon for people.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 24 Nov 2016, 15:48

Paranundrox wrote:About where are you in the game? It was pretty smooth sailing for me up until the Fire Totem, where I was not ready at all, and had to backtrack to get a level a Mudsdale, and the Grass Totem also gave me trouble until I ground my team up a few levels.

The school. A Grimer and Magnemite gave my Emowl, Pearlbird and Charitylax a tough time.
Paranundrox

Postby Paranundrox » 24 Nov 2016, 16:32

Yeah, I'm a really big fan of having a Ground type on my team this Gen. Its been a huge help all game.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 24 Nov 2016, 20:46

Paranundrox wrote:I also have a Ditto, and access to all 3 starters. I'm in the process of fighting the E4 as we speak, and will probably focus on completing my regional dex after this, so I am more than willing to breed Pokemon for people.

I'll fite u for breeding rights.

But for serious, it's good to have multiple people available. I've been going a bit slower to try completing my dex on the fly. Or at least getting all the new Pokémon. I know of one that I've missed so far and need to get.

Also, I'm surprised by just how useful Rock Doge is. It's won me quite a few battles with super effective attacks. I don't think I ever really used rock before this game, due to being weak to water.
Paranundrox

Postby Paranundrox » 24 Nov 2016, 21:00

Yeah, I tend to not use straight Ground/Rock pokemon since I find them to be pretty bland, but Mudsdale basically carried me through the Champion battle, and has been my Frontman for catching all 4 Tapu. I didn't go to 10 Carat Hill until too late to make Rockruff useful though :(
Jennonymouse
First Video: unskippable

Postby Jennonymouse » 24 Nov 2016, 21:40

I just joined up and got a chance to start playing. If anyone wants to add me as a friend that would be great. It's my first time not playing alone.
RebelliousUno
First Video: don't recall came after unskippable

Postby RebelliousUno » 26 Nov 2016, 07:45

I have done thing thing with the numbers in the thing and would be interested in trades
Raiger
First Video: Desert Bus for Hope 4!

Postby Raiger » 26 Nov 2016, 16:46

I've added my info to the spreadsheet. I'll try to get to the point where I can help others with breeding stuff too. I do have a level 1 Litten and one Litten egg that I can offer up if people want. I'm only on the second island so far, so i've barely gotten past where the breeding location is introduced this game.
farleyf

Postby farleyf » 26 Nov 2016, 19:44

Can i just say to everyone who has joined Hodor Squad how great it is to see so many people in what i hope will continue to be a growing community of like minded players who are willing to help each other out. We have a great mix of competitive and casual people here and already i know i have accepted and send out friend codes to a whole bunch of people. This is what makes the greater LRR community so great, we all respect each other and we all just want to have fun no matter how competitive we can be.

Thank you everyone and i hope to see our numbers continue to grow and grow
F For Farley
F For Flavors
F For Fabulous
F For Fast
F For Food

Come Join Hodor Squad

HS Discord Channel
Jennonymouse
First Video: unskippable

Postby Jennonymouse » 26 Nov 2016, 22:51

I just wanted to post a quick thing about wondering if anyone else has used the island scan with the qr codes? I just used it and found a cyndaquil! :D so I'm super happy right now. I just wanted to make sure you all knew about it, since I totally overlooked it at first.
farleyf

Postby farleyf » 27 Nov 2016, 11:54

Jennonymouse wrote:I just wanted to post a quick thing about wondering if anyone else has used the island scan with the qr codes? I just used it and found a cyndaquil! :D so I'm super happy right now. I just wanted to make sure you all knew about it, since I totally overlooked it at first.

the first time i tried the island scan the pokemon came up in a section that i couldn't get to for another 4 hours or so :) so its good to know that you can get rare pokemon with these scans. I may yet have to borrow a ditto from my brother so i can get a Cyndaquil just have to work out the logistics
F For Farley
F For Flavors
F For Fabulous
F For Fast
F For Food

Come Join Hodor Squad

HS Discord Channel
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 27 Nov 2016, 15:21

Well, I've finished the main story (I think). So I should be able to get most any catchable Pokémon now for breeding/eggs to those who want them.
Dicey
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby Dicey » 27 Nov 2016, 19:02

My 3DS and Sun turned up today, so I've added my information to the spreadsheet. Looking forward to playing after a long break (3rd gen).
Dicey
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby Dicey » 27 Nov 2016, 19:02

My 3DS and Sun turned up today, so I've added my information to the spreadsheet. Looking forward to playing after a long break (3rd gen).
Paranundrox

Postby Paranundrox » 27 Nov 2016, 21:07

Just a quick update: I'm back at school now, so trading will require a bit more work on my part. I do however have several Popplio, Snivy, Litten and Rowlets available for trade, and I'm working on hatching some Cyndaquil.

Additionally, there is now a text channel for Pokemon set up in the LRR discord, and I can be found under this name both there and in Twitch chat, should anyone want to trade.
farleyf

Postby farleyf » 28 Nov 2016, 00:04

Paranundrox wrote:Additionally, there is now a text channel for Pokemon set up in the LRR discord, and I can be found under this name both there and in Twitch chat, should anyone want to trade.

Ha its ironic that you mention that because Jennonymouse suggested a Discord server (Thanks again for the suggestion) so i set up a dedicated Hodor Squad Channel that i put the invitation code into the sheet. I guess either would be ok since Discord and their servers are free :)
F For Farley
F For Flavors
F For Fabulous
F For Fast
F For Food

Come Join Hodor Squad

HS Discord Channel
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 28 Nov 2016, 10:48

Added info, also the link in the first post is broken
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 28 Nov 2016, 15:59

So I decided to try chaining SOS battles last night to try getting a shiny Riolu. I found the stats kind of interesting. I battled about 284 Pokémon. Of those, Chansey showed up around 20 times I'd guess (didn't keep tight track). Lucario showed up exactly three times. There were no shinies to be found in that batch, sadly. The Riolu I did catch had 4 perfect IVs, but the other two (both types of attack sadly) were poor. The process took about 4 hours of continuous play and required 2 Max Elixers, 2 Elixers, and 2 Max Ethers on my Mimikyu.

In retrospect, it was really a waste of time. But I found the Lucario spawn interesting. They showed up at 85, 108, and 175. I'm curious what the maximum spawn percentage is for shinies during a SOS chain. Before this run, I had run into a shiny Riolu before running into a Lucario. So the spawn rate for Lucario must be very low.

If you do want to chain spawn, I'd recommend farming a lot of the berry that restores 10 PP. There doesn't seem to be a good way to get ether/elixers from what I seen, so it's the best option for going long. SOS chaining on decently powerful Pokémon also seems a good way to grind levels for those who want to do so. But the reduced EXP makes it more difficult to get to 100 this way. If there's some way to SOS chain Chansey, that's your best bet. They basically were experience balloons during my chain.
Last edited by Kapol on 28 Nov 2016, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
Paranundrox

Postby Paranundrox » 28 Nov 2016, 17:03

For the record, if you're SoS chaining, if you're spamming False Swipe or whatever to burn turns, you can do it instead by either using an Adrenaline Orb if you've used one already, or a berry for a status your Pokemon doesn't have (ie Rawst when they aren't burnt). This uses up your turn, but more importantly, it does NOT consume the item in question.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 28 Nov 2016, 17:19

Yup, I'd learned that pretty early on when I was trying to get an SOS specific Pokémon. It's a nice way to stall when you need to. When I was chaining, I actually didn't use False Swipe. I had my Mimi use Thief to bring them pretty low. But it gave a buffer in case they started to use Struggle.

As a note for anyone who wants to chain Riolu, use a ghost-type. They have a fighting move that KO's itself. They also don't have any moves that can hit ghost types, nor do Lucario nor Chansey I believe. They have access to 80 PP worth of moves too, so you don't have to worry too much about swapping which is weakened. I found Rowlett's final evolution good since it can learn False Swipe.

Return to “Video Games”