Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Re: Venting Thread Delta - Now With Easy to Follow Rules

Postby Darkobra » 21 Nov 2016, 15:23

All the pain I'm in, all the scars I've endured, all the times I've been crushed and betrayed and the people I know treat me like I'm a lower priority in their lives than burning cookies.

That's right. Burning cookies takes precedence over me actually healing. A message to say I'm actually on the road to recovery gets responded to with "OMG! Burned a batch of cookies!"

Glad I have somewhere to say this where nobody knows me anyway.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 22 Nov 2016, 01:28

Darkobra wrote:All the pain I'm in, all the scars I've endured, all the times I've been crushed and betrayed and the people I know treat me like I'm a lower priority in their lives than burning cookies.

That's right. Burning cookies takes precedence over me actually healing. A message to say I'm actually on the road to recovery gets responded to with "OMG! Burned a batch of cookies!"

Glad I have somewhere to say this where nobody knows me anyway.

If this doesn't sound too callous, this doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Whilst people almost invariably want to help their friends, very few of them (from my experience) are any good at it.

There are two broad ways to help somebody with a problem they are having- either help them solve it, or distract them from the bad shit so they can enjoy themselves. However, the former option in particular is very difficult; as I stated in my last post on the depression thread, anyone who practices mindful thinking is invariably better-equipped to answer their own questions than someone else, so in order to be actually helpful a person needs to be either much more intelligent/experienced than you on the subject or have a different perspective they can offer that you haven't thought of (or some combination thereof). Few people are good at this or are motivated to do it; they simply don't know how to talk about other people's headspace.

As such, if approached to talk about problems you've been going through, most people tend to try and get off the subject as best they can. I've had trained counsellors do this to a lesser extent. If asked to explain why, they will often say they're trying to get off the 'depressing' subject matter and just 'treat you normally', and it's simply easier for most people to do this. There's one friend who if I try to talk to him when I'm having a bad day, will always advocate going to the pub- not to talk about it, but because he thinks that will help cheer me up and that I need to be treated normally in order to recover. It worked for him in the past- less so for me.

And even if people don't think about it that much... people are often simply not good at comprehending the extent of mental hardship. What people don't understand they don't like to talk about and often fail to see why it's important- something physical and present, like a batch of cookies, can be far easier for them to comprehend than something cerebral and beyond them. It might not be particularly right or good, but it's just how folks work. To some extent, all of us do it.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Valliac
First Video: Unskippable - Lost Planet

Postby Valliac » 24 Nov 2016, 10:47

I have been out of retail for over 4 years.

I still see Thanksgiving as "oh shit the christmas music is starting up full-force"

It's like Christmas-Retail PTSD.
"Also known as a 'Trigger-operated EVERYONE deterrent'."
Streaming at: http://www.twitch.tv/Valliac

empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 24 Nov 2016, 13:36

...from what I've heard - 'consumers' who have never worked in retail tend to loathe The Christmas Music™, too.

But yeah, after nine years, that brief period of "Hey, some different stuff on the PA for a change. Cool!" that occurs before the "This is the sixth time I've heard Little Drummer Boy just TODAY, and I haven't had my lunch break yet; if he was around here I'd grab his drumsticks and impale myself on them" slog got pretty darn short. :(
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 24 Nov 2016, 15:18

I have left many acusomter's bodies strewn across the store floor in a river of blood because of the Donkey Song.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 26 Nov 2016, 07:28

I really wish some people would take their anti-Black Friday shit and just fuck right off.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Bobalob93
First Video: Unskippable-FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus

Postby Bobalob93 » 26 Nov 2016, 07:47

The Enterprise-D is actually really annoying to try and draw. The general outline and basic shape are simple enough, but trying to get the details right is a pain.
My Twitter -Bobalob93
My Tumblr - www.bobalob93.tumblr.com
My Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/bobalob93/?hl=en

Enough shameless plugs for now!
RedHelveticaCake
First Video: Feed Dump 146
Location: Toronto, floating 4' off the ground, next to a sink

Postby RedHelveticaCake » 26 Nov 2016, 14:43

Maybe it's just me, but the Cards Against Humanity Holday Hole stunt makes me sad and angry that they raised $82,791 as of yesterday to dig a hole. Maybe they're planning to do something charitable with the money, but on their FAQ it says the only thing they're going to do with the money is to keep digging farther. Even if they go 'psych!' at the end and give the money to charity or something, it still makes me sad that even when all we know is that the money is going into a hole, people would rather give CAH money to throw in it than give the donation to charity. All I can think about is what could Child's Play do with another $82k? Or the people at Standing Rock? Doctors Without Borders?
You can lead an idiot to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Nov 2016, 18:19

I don't like it either, but I think they're making a statement. They say right there in the FAQ: "Why aren’t you giving all this money to charity?" Why aren’t YOU giving all this money to charity? It’s your money.

I think they're just trying to prove that people will throw money at anything.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 27 Nov 2016, 05:58

Yes. Remember the potato salad kickstarter. If they did not say they were doing anything charitable they have no obligation to do so. If people gave it to them thinking they would, that is their fault. It was once other people's monet, now it is their money to do anything the want with it.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 27 Nov 2016, 10:53

Charity is the most competitive and hard-fought industry in the developed world, simply because humans have a limited capacity for compassion. It is emotionally draining to care constantly about the things that Matter to you or all the worthy causes in this world, and this is essentially the limiting factor in the amount different people do for charity. The relation people are facing in this situation is not giving their money to CAH vs giving it to charity, but between giving it to for something vaguely conceptually entertaining CAH vs finding something else sufficiently entertaining for them to throw $5 at.

This is why events like Desert Bus and charitable enterprise organisations exist and are so successful; it aligns individuals' strained compassion with their desire for entertainment or Nice Things, enabling them to feel like good people whilst also getting something they feel they are getting legitimate entertainment/reward/value from.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Arclight_Dynamo
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 27 Nov 2016, 13:26

RedHelveticaCake wrote:Maybe it's just me, but the Cards Against Humanity Holday Hole stunt makes me sad and angry that they raised $82,791 as of yesterday to dig a hole. Maybe they're planning to do something charitable with the money, but on their FAQ it says the only thing they're going to do with the money is to keep digging farther. Even if they go 'psych!' at the end and give the money to charity or something, it still makes me sad that even when all we know is that the money is going into a hole, people would rather give CAH money to throw in it than give the donation to charity. All I can think about is what could Child's Play do with another $82k? Or the people at Standing Rock? Doctors Without Borders?

I feel 100% the same way. People on Twitter have been saying how great and hilarious it is... but it just feels weird and wrong to me. It certainly doesn't help that people are also saying "It's art! That's worth money! Stop whining!"

Well... no. My reaction to this piece of art is to feel unsettled and grossed out. And that reaction, as all reactions to art are, is valid. No one gets to tell me not to feel that way.

Kris Straub did a Chainsawsuit a while back that I think sums up how I feel, perfectly.
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 27 Nov 2016, 13:52

So, I knit but I have trouble with crochet. I tried giving crochet a try for my boyfriend's mom's Christmas give. I was doing alright and... the crochet hook broke -_-' I guess that's what I get for using wooden ones? I ordered some metallic ones from Amazon but it's frustrating when you're in the mood to craft and you have to stop. I guess I'd better find something else I can make!
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
Valliac

Postby Valliac » 27 Nov 2016, 20:48

I know it's my job and all and I should definitely expect it, and I am by no means saying you shouldn't get stuff for your loved ones for the holidays.

Keep in mind the shitstorm brought by ordering a bunch of stuff on amazon and clicking "next-day shipping".

We go ballistic this time of year. Keep us little Santa's Helpers in mind.

Avistew

Postby Avistew » 27 Nov 2016, 22:42

Not sure if it was addressed to me, Valliac, or just coincidental venting, but I didn't pick next-day shipping, and I'll keep that in mind :)
Valliac

Postby Valliac » 28 Nov 2016, 03:39

Avistew wrote:Not sure if it was addressed to me, Valliac, or just coincidental venting, but I didn't pick next-day shipping, and I'll keep that in mind :)

I'm not addressing anyone in particular

just BLLLUUUUUGGGGHHHHH

MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 28 Nov 2016, 10:14

Avistew wrote:So, I knit but I have trouble with crochet. I tried giving crochet a try for my boyfriend's mom's Christmas give. I was doing alright and... the crochet hook broke -_-' I guess that's what I get for using wooden ones? I ordered some metallic ones from Amazon but it's frustrating when you're in the mood to craft and you have to stop. I guess I'd better find something else I can make!

Perhaps your tension is too tight?
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Bobalob93
First Video: Unskippable-FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus

Postby Bobalob93 » 28 Nov 2016, 12:08

I decided to go back to play Arkham Knight to try and get some of the missing trophies, and some of them are REALLY hard to get. I spent about an hour trying to get one, and I still haven't managed it.
My Twitter -Bobalob93
My Tumblr - www.bobalob93.tumblr.com
My Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/bobalob93/?hl=en

Enough shameless plugs for now!
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 28 Nov 2016, 22:09

MinniChi wrote:Perhaps your tension is too tight?

Well the pattern called for crocheing as tight as possible, but I wasn't doing it that tight. I didn't have any trouble sliding it through until it broke. But I'll keep an eye out for that with my new hooks, thanks for the advice :)
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 29 Nov 2016, 15:45

Bobalob93 wrote:I decided to go back to play Arkham Knight to try and get some of the missing trophies, and some of them are REALLY hard to get. I spent about an hour trying to get one, and I still haven't managed it.

I'm replaying Shadow of the Colossus on the PS3. Turns out you need to play through the game FOUR TIMES to unlock one trophy in particular (maxing out your stamina).

Just saying, health before 100% completion...
MinniChi

Postby MinniChi » 30 Nov 2016, 13:47

That time as a low-income parent when you have to choose between prescription drugs for yourself or your child. Why must drugs be so expensive? We have free healthcare, why can't drugs be included in this as well?

Avistew wrote:Well the pattern called for crocheing as tight as possible, but I wasn't doing it that tight. I didn't have any trouble sliding it through until it broke. But I'll keep an eye out for that with my new hooks, thanks for the advice :)

I have a few friends that have tried crocheting after knitting for a long time, and they have a hard time loosening their tension. Apparently you want it really tight when knitting?
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 15 Dec 2016, 14:43

So jealous and envious right now!
*Rabble Rabble*
MinniChi

Postby MinniChi » 19 Dec 2016, 20:08

Went to the hospital today in pain.
Here is a quick run down of my experience :

Me: my shoulder hurts when I breath
Doctors: check the heart and lungs!
Me: can we look at my shoulder??
Doctor: Chest Xray! Followed by blood tests!
Me: How about we look at the shoulder?
Doctor: Xray is inconclusive! Ultrasound the lungs and diaphragm!
Me: What about the shoulder?
Doctor: Your chest area is fine. But we did discover a mild uti. Here's a prescription for antibiotics.
Me: .....

Sometimes free health care sucks. Not one doctor examined the shoulder. And it still really hurts. When I breath, or lie down. One of which is a mandatory frequent action.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 20 Dec 2016, 06:08

Tell them only the main complaint first. Your shoulder hurts. Detailing that it gets worst when you breathe comes during the examination. In my experience doctors tend to be very one track minded. Bordering on autistic at times. They will latch on the first thing they are interpreting you complaining about.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 03 Jan 2017, 04:01

I thought this stomach flu would end with the vomiting. Now the other end of my body is also getting involved.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Return to “General Discussion”