Magic the Gathering: Ask a Judge

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
cuddlyblade
First Video: reduce your footprint

Re: Magic the Gathering: Ask a Judge

Postby cuddlyblade » 14 Dec 2016, 09:43

Vehicles with power 3 or greater will not be effected by meekstone because they are not creatures when untapping right?
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 14 Dec 2016, 12:16

Correct.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 19 Dec 2016, 14:02

(Also while vehicles have a printed power/toughness, they only ever have those attributes if they are also a creature. A non-creature vehicle has no power or toughness.)
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 22 Dec 2016, 18:41

"Vehicle" is an artifact type, not a creature type, correct? Therefore, Changelings are not Vehicles, are they?
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 23 Dec 2016, 03:31

Correct.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
cuddlyblade
First Video: reduce your footprint

Postby cuddlyblade » 28 Dec 2016, 13:05

If I have Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest on the field and cast Barter in Blood how many counters do I get?
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 29 Dec 2016, 20:36

Assuming both you and your opponent both have two non-Mazirek creatures to sacrifice, it'll get four counters.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 02 Jan 2017, 18:34

Greenbelt Rampager: That trigger isn't optional, is it? If you have 2 energy, you have to play the cost, right?

phlip

Postby phlip » 03 Jan 2017, 00:54

Probably? I'd wait for the Release Notes for the set to be sure. I know there are rules issues with requiring you to pay mana costs (that's why eg the pacts are written as "pay this or lose" instead of just "you must pay this"), but those are more to so with the fact that you don't have mana to pay until you activate the abilities of your lands, so requiring you to pay energy probably should work? But with a preview card using a new mechanic (or at least a new interaction with the block mechanic) safest to wait for the release notes.

[he/him/his]
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 03 Jan 2017, 19:41

Yeah. I was really concerned about the "can't" word there, rather than "don't" instead.

phlip

Postby phlip » 04 Jan 2017, 06:21

Honestly, I think it probably will be mandatory, for two reasons: (a) it sounds mandatory, and they're pretty good at not printing cards that sound like they do something the rules don't support, and (b) a repeatable {G} for {E} trade without restrictions sounds kinda broken.

[he/him/his]
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 05 Jan 2017, 21:36

It does not state that you may, so barring rules updates, it will be a mandatory cost.
Aaron9797
First Video: ransom

Postby Aaron9797 » 09 Jan 2017, 07:22

if i have baral, chief of compliance on the battlefield and my opponent cast a card targeting baral for simplicity; and i cast blossoming defense giving baral hexproof. will i be able to draw and discard a card from baral ability?
Elenodul
First Video: It's Magic

Postby Elenodul » 09 Jan 2017, 23:25

No. Since the spell gets countered by game rules and not your spell, you don't get the loot of Baral.
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 12 Jan 2017, 07:19

If I have multiple exquisite archangels from aether revolt and I go to lose the game do I have to exile all copies of it or can I just do 1 and keep the rest? My gut tells me I'd lose all copies.
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 12 Jan 2017, 09:28

After I cast Ponder, is there a time in which my opponent gets priority between me looking at the top 3, choosing to either shuffle or not and then drawing the card?
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 12 Jan 2017, 09:33

Booster, when multiple replacement effects would apply, you first choose one and apply it to modify the event, then check to see if any of those still apply (or any new ones would apply). Since you are no longer losing the game, the rest of the replacement effects are no longer applicable.

Phi, they either act before it begins resolving, or after it is done. Once a spell/ability begins resolving no one gets to take any actions other than those called for by its effect.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Mar 2017, 17:37

Conspire only happens once, right? You tap 2 creatures and get a spell copy. You can't tap 4 for 2 copies or 6 for 3, etc. right?

eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 14 Mar 2017, 19:25

Based on the rulings from Wort, the Raidmother [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=426039], I believe you can only Conspire the number of times the spell has it (generally only one, potentially more if you have one or more Worts in play).
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Mar 2017, 21:40

OK. Wort was actually the reason I was asking. I was wondering exactly how much shenanigans I could get up to with Wort + Sprout Swarm. So I can get another copy with 2 Saprolings, but not 2 copies with 4 Saprolings.

Still, Conspire with 2 Saprolings is cheaper than Buyback with 3, if I ever run into that situation.

phlip

Postby phlip » 15 Mar 2017, 15:10

CR wrote:702.77. Conspire

702.77a Conspire is a keyword that represents two abilities. The first is a static ability that functions while the spell with conspire is on the stack. The second is a triggered ability that functions while the spell with conspire is on the stack. “Conspire” means “As an additional cost to cast this spell, you may tap two untapped creatures you control that each share a color with it” and “When you cast this spell, if its conspire cost was paid, copy it. If the spell has any targets, you may choose new targets for the copy.” Paying a spell’s conspire cost follows the rules for paying additional costs in rules 601.2b and 601.2e–g.

702.77b If a spell has multiple instances of conspire, each is paid separately and triggers based on its own payment, not any other instance of conspire.

So yeah, your only options are to pay for it or not, and you get one copy if you pay for it. You can't pay multiple times. But multiple copies of conspire stack, in that you can pay up to as many times as the spell has conspire and get that many copies.

Also: if you conspire a bought-back Sprout Swarm, the copy will also have buyback paid, and will return to your hand when it resolves. It will then immediately disappear, so it doesn't actually matter, but you get to have an ephemeral not-card in your hand briefly, and who doesn't enjoy that?

[he/him/his]
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Apr 2017, 16:18

OK, 2 questions, unrelated to each other.

1. Embalm tokens WotC printed don't have the embalm ability on them, and that's probably to make it understandable to newbies, BUT... Reading the wording on the ability that makes the tokens, the tokens technically should have the Embalm ability, since the copy is copying everything about the card (except color and casting cost, and also adding the Zombie subtype). So it should copy the Embalm ability, too, right, even if that ability will never work, because tokens don't stay in the graveyard long enough for you to activate Embalm.

2. I never quite got a handle on the interaction between "Name a card" and Split Cards. (Failure/Comply is what got me on this, because it's both.) You have to name the whole card and then neither side can be cast, correct? If you name "Failure/Comply" neither can be cast, and the same with "Boom/Bust" and other regular split cards. And I assume you can't cast any of the 3 options on Fuse cards like "Beck/Call."
Last edited by AdmiralMemo on 12 Apr 2017, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.

chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 12 Apr 2017, 16:51

No clue on the second question, but yes, the embalm tokens will copy the embalm, as they are a copy of the creature, and it still has that text, just it does nothing. So a theoretical vanilla embalm creature wouldn't get the bonus from muraganda petroglyphs.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
phlip

Postby phlip » 12 Apr 2017, 17:45

(Usual caveats for talking about unreleased cards before the Release Notes get published, you know the drill)

1. The printed embalm tokens take some liberties with the text... Look at, say, the ability on Vizier of Many Faces - the card spells out "make a copy, but if this is an embalm token, do XYZ" but the token just says "make a copy and do XYZ". Technically speaking the actual ability on the token matches the ability on the card, they're just simplifying it to its net effect on the token. Embalm isn't printed on the token for the same reason... the creature has that ability, but you can't activate it, so it's unlikely to matter.

The text printed on a token should be treated like reminder text... the canonical rules text for Improvise doesn't say "your artifacts can help cast this spell" but the reminder text is a simplified version to get the main point across. The canonical source of the characteristics of a token is the oracle text of the effect that created it.

2. If something says to "name a card" you can name either half of a split card... ie "Failure" and "Comply" are both names, "Failure // Comply" is not. If you cast Comply naming, say, "Failure", then your opponent would not be able to cast Failure but they would be able to cast Comply.

For fuse cards, if you cast Comply naming "Beck", your opponent would not be able to cast Beck or cast a fused Beck // Call (since it would have both names), but they would still be able to cast Call alone.

[he/him/his]
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Apr 2017, 18:43

... Is it possible to name just the fused spell and allow the individuals to be cast? Or is that not allowed because it's technically not a "card"? Does "Beck//Call" only exist on the stack and nowhere else? Or... What actually is the name of the spell on the stack when fused, if it's not that?

Fuse spells are weird.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”