Officially Forgotten?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
VileTerror
First Video: Daily Drop
Location: n. 1 a place where something is located. 2 the action of location. - DERIVATIVES locational adj.

Officially Forgotten?

Postby VileTerror » 05 Jan 2018, 20:13

So, based on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63EhzL_UtGk&t=4m48s it sounds like these forums have officially been forgotten, which is absolutely terrible to hear.
What would it take to bring the Loadign Ready Run crew back to the Loading Ready Run forums?
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Re: Officially Forgotten?

Postby JackSlack » 07 Jan 2018, 13:05

WE EXIST! WE EXIST!

To be fair, I just think it's the way the net has gone. More instant feedback style communities seem to be the thing. Personally, I find Discord obnoxious but hey, that's me. <shrugtake> I know I don't post here much, but I do still value this place.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 07 Jan 2018, 13:12

I prefer the forums because it feels slower. I get intimidated by discord by how instant it is.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 07 Jan 2018, 14:06

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I prefer the forums because it feels slower. I get intimidated by discord by how instant it is.

Yeah! I have no idea how anybody understands what's going on there.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 07 Jan 2018, 14:25

I'm too much of a completionist for Discord, I need to read everything happening or nothing. And I'm too busy to keep up with everything. Forums are much more my speed.

Seems a fair amount of us are still here and checking, just there's not much posting happening. Maybe the lack of weekly videos has less people coming to comment on that, as well as the switch to YouTube being an easy way to comment (compared to stuff like The Escapist or Blip)
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 07 Jan 2018, 16:35

I'm trying to avoid visiting the vent thread because posting about bad stuff wasn't helping me.
My relationship status is too strange to document in the gay thread too.
I check these forums daily for new stuff.
Arclight_Dynamo
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 08 Jan 2018, 17:53

I've tried Discord. I just can't gel with it. Forums are much more my style.
VileTerror
Location: n. 1 a place where something is located. 2 the action of location. - DERIVATIVES locational adj.

Too much to ask?

Postby VileTerror » 08 Jan 2018, 18:03

SO! What do we do to attract the crew back on to the forums? I would very much like to be able to interact with them, at least a little. To get some key and time-sensitive questions answered, even if it's an answer of "we're not sure."
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 10 Jan 2018, 13:55

I don't comment on youtube because I don't want my Google/gmail/real name account linked to my Youtube account. I just don't do Discord. Really not my thing. I rarely follow live-streams because the timing is just off for me and live streams aren't my thing to begin with (I just don't have time to sit through a 3 hour stream, even if I do love thinks like tinker, tailor ,solder, fry.

Personally I think we'd get more visitors here too if we'd just get that sort of shout-out in a video/podcast/livestream. We can't be the only people that don't like the chaotic instant-ness-ness of things like discord or twitch chat

Edit to say: I've brought back my Hindenburg avatar. Because the forum might be dead and MasterGunner might no longer be here, but that Zeppelin will be there dangnamit!
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 12 Jan 2018, 05:30

I remember your avatar :)
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 13 Jan 2018, 05:47

I have to admit I've pretty much given up on these here forums given how little activity there is on here.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
VileTerror

Not at all helpful, "Lord" Chrusher

Postby VileTerror » 13 Jan 2018, 06:40

They say "be the change you want to see in the world."
So here I am; posting in these forums, so they're more active. Perhaps we could all do a little part to build toward the greater whole which these forums truly represent?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 15 Jan 2018, 13:38

I keep checking the forums. I don't mind the Discord, but it feels redundant to me, particularly with the Twitch Chat. It basically feels like a threaded version of Twitch Chat. And that's fine... But the forums are something distinct, something different. The asynchronicity appeals to me. You can make short posts, long posts, whatever. You can make your point however you want. With chats and Discord, you are limited to just short bits in the hustle and bustle.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 26 Jan 2018, 13:31

The forum condensed a lot as most of us grew older. Then it became hostile for no reason. We used to talk about anything and no one really minded because we trusted each other, and knew each other (in a way). The only time people came back in a meaningful way was last year when there was something interesting to talk about that I stirred up; and still feel my original question still stands from the responses.

Honestly the forums are better if it goes. We don't really need it any more. We can look back and remember the fun (for me arguments I caused), but there's no point trying to beat a dead horse.

The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 27 Jan 2018, 12:20

I'm not sure we don't need the forums any more. Or at least I'M not sure I don't need the forums any more. I don't think the forum became hostile for no reason. some arguments were had that were better not done in a public forum and some people on both sides of the argument couldn't keep an open mind and took way too personally. I do know it was a period where I lost interest in visiting for a while.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 28 Jan 2018, 10:44

Yeah, I don't know that I'd say arguments killed it. There were a few threads that went that way, but most people weren't extensively involved in them, I doubt that's the reason the few dozen regular members we had all stopped posting. Like I said, for myself it was just real-life factors.

And maybe that's it, it's natural that people come and go, but with the forums pretty inactive and LRR putting less focus on them now (which, fair enough, that's their choice) we don't have the influx of new members at the same rate, and those who do show up don't see many active conversations to join in.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Aeralis
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu

Postby Aeralis » 28 Jan 2018, 13:29

I'm certainly sad that forums are widely being abandoned, because I really do prefer this format to active chat. I try to check in on the Discord regularly but there's always just so much stuff in there. I have like half the channels muted and it still takes forever to catch up and see what's actually happening at the moment. Sometimes, when I'm just scrolling to the bottom, I'll pass by a conversation I would have liked to engage in, but the chat has long since moved on to another topic and that chance has passed.

I mean, I get it. I get why the internet as a whole is transitioning from forums to chat rooms. But I guess it'll just have to be my first instance of being old and not liking what The Youth are up to.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 29 Jan 2018, 12:21

I just got tired of the general mopiness of the forum.
In any case, I assume most people gather around Twitch these days.
VileTerror

Seriously Forgotten

Postby VileTerror » 30 Jan 2018, 19:59

Frankly, I think it would just be nice if a crew member of LRR would check in here from time to time. The post rate isn't severe enough that it would take them more than a couple of minutes each week to be abreast of what's taking place right now. Actually get some confirmation that they're even aware that the forums still exist, you know; stuff like that.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 01 Feb 2018, 13:43

I assume whoever has to deal with the spam knows that this forum still exists.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
JoeNewberry
First Video: Rejected "Get a Mac" Ads

Postby JoeNewberry » 01 Feb 2018, 15:24

So I come back to the forums after all these years and that's right when they're abandoning them? That figures.
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 02 Feb 2018, 01:48

I check the forums now and then. And it's nice to see familiar avatars :)
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 02 Feb 2018, 14:36

JoeNewberry wrote:So I come back to the forums after all these years and that's right when they're abandoning them? That figures.

"They" might be, but we're not gone yet :)
VileTerror

Team Work Time?

Postby VileTerror » 03 Feb 2018, 15:12

Good answer, Dutch!

Could someone with a Youtube account maybe ask Graham in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCOIVCZicJQ to remember the forums, please? He said at 9:11 that he would read the comments there.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 12 Feb 2018, 15:27

I drop by occasionally to do some modding when I hear in the Discord that the spam has gotten bad in here. Going by the logs, though, it's mostly phlip. I think whenever members of the crew do visit, they mostly look at threads related to streams, not the general forum area.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Return to “General Discussion”