The Ballad of the Fanboy

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 20 Oct 2007, 16:06

Graham wrote:Tell y'all what, when I get back to Victoria, I'll upload a new, No-Flange Version. Cool?

If you can, just upload the mp3 of the song. Don't worry about a new vid version until you try to make Season 5 DVDs in a few years. :D
Tiger1313

Postby Tiger1313 » 20 Oct 2007, 16:31

How come Tally always ends up in these strange relationships?

My guess is she is the only girl around.

Since Tally can sing maybe you can make a duet as a sequel. :)

Nice work.
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 20 Oct 2007, 17:24

I want to know where Jer has gotten that kickass Halo t-shirt. I want one!
iambibs

Postby iambibs » 20 Oct 2007, 18:59

I have to agree with everyone that the audio in this video could have been better, though the lyrics ARE really good. Compared to last week's video though, this came out kind of weak. I mean, shouldn't be pilot episodes be the most spectacular "I'll never forget that video" ones? I could see this video maybe 2 or 3 weeks from now and it could have came out as a really awesome video but I guess since you've been doing videos every week that takes out time for actual season planning.

Still, it's really good, except for the sound. Graham, you should definitely release a version without the audio annoying audio effect.

About the ads, though tak197 has asked us not to comment on the anymore, I think any insight on them will still benefit LRR. I don't really mind the ads, and don't find them annoying. I can relate with LRR in just finding ways to generate more revenue for providing FREE content. They have managed to keep their website ad-free though arguably a little ads here and there wouldn't really hurt (may I suggest Project Wonderful?). Instead of complaining about ads in the videos, shouldn't we be helping LRR to find not only new audiences but to generate enough revenue so that they can maintain creating these awesome videos that they provide us for free?

This insight comes from someone who actually bought the 3 DVD combo set plus the After Hours DVD and paid $29 dollars just get it shipped to the Philippines.

Hope I didn't sound like an ass, I am new here after all.
Lavos
Lavos

Postby Lavos » 20 Oct 2007, 20:20

James, you could have let jer do the update.

Retard.
i dont know what's happening anymore
Number09
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Number09 » 20 Oct 2007, 20:33

Jer wrote:

Code: Select all

Intro
E B C#m A

verse
E B C#m A
E B C#m A

Chorus
E B C#m A
E B D A

Inro

verse

Chorus

Bridge
Am E D A
Am E D A

Chorus

Chorus

Urge to write bassline rising...

Thanks Jer. :D
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 20 Oct 2007, 20:43

Too late 9.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 21 Oct 2007, 00:16

Lavos wrote:James, you could have let jer do the update.

Retard.

Im not stoping him, he has the ability to do so if he wants.
Mr.Michael

Good stuff.

Postby Mr.Michael » 21 Oct 2007, 12:30

Great song, was laughing so hard at some parts, as for the sound quality, yeah it was a bit off, but still awesome.

Personally I felt it was a great way to open the season, and holy crap on the game collection, I mean really.

Can't wait for the new 64K stuff.
KidoftheThird

Postby KidoftheThird » 21 Oct 2007, 14:19

Great vid and everything but it was kinda weak for a season opener.
This sentence may be a lie.
Chris
First Video: a 3D short shown at Film Fest in 2003?

Postby Chris » 21 Oct 2007, 15:00

Great video, will rewatch after the update again. Didnt mind the ads one bit graham. Where was it shot?
- Offical First Fan to Recognize Paul and Graham (LRR) -

dezreavey

Postby dezreavey » 21 Oct 2007, 15:26

Firstly, Thanks for the look at Matt's games library - Truely impressive!

Secondly, Graham, the ads, I am happy for them to be there, easily closed etc.

Thirdly, great video!!

My highlight was Jer's "WORM" dance!! LOL

Thanks again guys!!!

Dez!
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 21 Oct 2007, 17:37

Okay the more I watch it, the cuter it seems. You see, this is why geeks make better boyfriends than jocks. They try hard to impress you women, regardless of the fact that they have a limited knowledge of what ACTUALLY impresses women. Geeks can at least show that them mean well when they set up their collection of Final Fantasy games and plushies. That has to count for something.

Great job guys.
Protoman

Postby Protoman » 21 Oct 2007, 20:53

I have to agree with tak on that one, because I can do the final fantasy thing as shown on that video... witch is kind of sad, but at the same time, really cool.
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 21 Oct 2007, 22:27

Plushies slay the chicks... in a good way.
Oxford
First Video: The Whatever Thing

Postby Oxford » 22 Oct 2007, 11:50

The Ballad of the Fanboy. The love song of the video game generation. I'm still addicted to Chrono Trigger.
9 out of 10 Americans believe that out of 10 people 1 American will always disagree with the other 9.
Jer
LRR Crew

Postby Jer » 22 Oct 2007, 12:01

James wrote:
Lavos wrote:James, you could have let jer do the update.

Retard.

Im not stoping him, he has the ability to do so if he wants.

This may still come, as I have some pics on my camera at the moment. I've been really busy over the weekend, but I'll try and throw them up there tomorrow ;).
Bryy M. Miller
First Video: Dinosaur

Postby Bryy M. Miller » 22 Oct 2007, 17:57

iambibs wrote:I have to agree with everyone that the audio in this video could have been better, though the lyrics ARE really good. Compared to last week's video though, this came out kind of weak. I mean, shouldn't be pilot episodes be the most spectacular "I'll never forget that video" ones?

I agree with you on the weird sound, but it was the perfect season opener.
theduckthief

Postby theduckthief » 22 Oct 2007, 20:27

Matt I have to say, that is a beautiful wall despite the neurotic organization.
In Soviet Russia Desert Bus crashes Bill twice!
HYRS
First Video: Quantam Documentary? It's been awhile.

Postby HYRS » 22 Oct 2007, 22:29

Let me start off by saying I don't dislike the video. There are very very few video's on this site I do not like.

That said I find many of your video's re-watchable fairly frequently. About three times a week I usually re-watch the new video and then show it to people every now and then. I also tend to go through the video archive and check out favorites often.

But these musical ones. I'm not sure what it is but they don't bring me any joy in re-watching them. It's not that I don't find them funny because I do. (And even if they weren't funny that wouldn't make much of a difference as your videos that aren't strictly humor are still re-watchable)

Music just doesn't seem to work well. Probably because you have left practice with it. It's just not as polished and un-polished music is not as easily re-experienced as un-polished humor. I can still enjoy a joke even if it's not perfectly delivered or acted out but unpolished music turns me right out.

That said, keep practicing you guys are well on your way to becoming a solid performance group.
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 23 Oct 2007, 00:21

Despite some of the criticism, I actually quite liked the effect, "Flange" I think Graham called it, in the background of this clip. It sounds like it's drilling itself into the subconscious of a persons brain, edging itself deeper and deeper into the memory banks designed to demand replayability. (Have listened to it 7-8 times now. :))

I think it's a nice effect, and while it may be a simple song I'm tempted to learn it on the Guitar now. Sounds excellent.
Top work to Jer too for the song on the whole. The worm dance - lol. Just lol. (Should buy more Final Fantasy stuff so I can do that too. :P Only got 7,8,9,10,10-2)
Graham in a locked thread wrote:Think before you post.
Ishamel

Postby Ishamel » 23 Oct 2007, 00:32

The 'bad sound quality' was an effect? I probably ought to read what Graham put but it really could have done without it. Ruined an otherwise perfect video. If you wanted to achieve the drilling-into-brain that happens with silly ballads, better to let Jer get on with what he does very well without distorting it. I spent the whole first time i watched it going wait- inferior sound?? but- but- LRR! LRR good! LRR video geeks! brain.. exploding...

The ads - don't really notice, athough depressingly the ones that appear at the end assume i want to KNOW WHAT MEN REALLY THINK!
The_Only_S

Postby The_Only_S » 24 Oct 2007, 09:22

JER! I must say, I absolutely love your singing voice. (Assuming that is indeed you singing?)
Graham - You DID mess with the sound, yes? Ah. Because the whole thing (guitar, voice) sounds rather like KK Totakeke on Animal Crossing. :P

All in all, I really enjoyed this video..Even if some people didn't like it as a season opener. ^-^
Last edited by The_Only_S on 14 Jan 2008, 08:49, edited 2 times in total.
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 24 Oct 2007, 11:30

I actually like the odd distorted audio as a stylistic device. I've heard the effect in other songs and this is one of the ones it works in, in my opinion, of course.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 24 Oct 2007, 12:46

Personally, I think that generalizing jocks as bad boyfriends and geeks as good boyfriends is sort of silly. I mean, first of all, geeks as a whole do not necessarily make better boyfriends - I mean, for a lot of the people here, they might, because they share a lot of the same interests - but as a whole, it really doesn't matter. I am friends with a lot of guys who are geeks, but I have friends who are 'jocks' as well. One of my best guy friends is on the varsity track and field team. And oh look, he's a nice guy, and he's really cute! He also happens to be gay, but that's not the point.

Secondly, I really don't think that in real life those labels really work. Of course people can be geeks, or jocks, but they don't have to be only that. When I was in high school, I was a drama and music geek - and yet I was on the rowing team and the badminton team and the softball team.

Since when are all geeks cute? Since when are all jocks 'hunky'? And really, what is the difference, and why is one better than the other?
Being a geek doesn't certify intelligence. It certifies that you like cool things like video games or comic books or whatever.
And you know what? Just because a guy plays a sport, doesn't mean it's all he fucking knows how to do.

I'm sorry if this is incredibly off-topic for the video, but it was really, really bugging me. I don't mind labels but I really, really hate stereotypes and I hate generalizations - and this is a really stupid one.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”