Trick or DOOM

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 28 Oct 2007, 15:08

Odd that in England you mention "coke" as the term for soda pop, as that is one of the least used terms in America. It is most common, however, in the deep south.

In fact, I know a chap who hails from Eastern England and he uses fizzy all the time, claiming it's just what he's used to. Never heard of English Coke before.

~Alja~
Ishamel

Postby Ishamel » 28 Oct 2007, 15:13

Oh well 'fizzy' is also acceptable, but really if you're drinking anything in England with bubbles and sugar in it it's bound to be Coke or some cheaper equivalent. Maybe it's just London but i don't think so.
And don't Americans form nouns from brand names *more* easily than the English? I mean yeah we have Hoover and Coke but no-one here says 'Kleenex' for tissue.

The 'punchline' of this video still doesn't make funnyness/sense to me, even after gracious chocolate explanation. Sorry guys.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 28 Oct 2007, 15:20

The punchline isn't a punchline, it's a nonsequiter.

How did Canadaman replace a Mars bar with another chocolate bar?
Why would that even matter, since Evil Inc.'s plan had already failed on it's own?
How could Canadaman even know about the plan, since Evil Inc. only just thought it up?
How did Canadaman even get in there?

It's like in Monty Python, when someone buys an argument. It's funny in that it makes almost no sense, and yet it somehow seems reasonable in a warped sort of way.

The only sort of punchline is the irony of Evil Inc.'s plan to give out "wrong" candy bars got turned against them, and now they have the "wrong" candy bars themselves.

~Alja~
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 28 Oct 2007, 15:46

Alja-Markir wrote:How could Canadaman even know about the plan, since Evil Inc. only just thought it up?
How did Canadaman even get in there?

Because Candaman is that freaking awesome. What of it?
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Ishamel

Postby Ishamel » 29 Oct 2007, 01:29

Nice avatar Cake! I got to that level of Portal with the companion cube... then on the next one my laptop just haemorraged... :( even on ultra-low specs! sad. Why, why will no-one build a laptop for gaming?? Or have they??

Well, punchline=funny bit at the end imho even if it is a nonsequiteur. But still not very funny.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 29 Oct 2007, 04:22

Ishamel wrote:Why, why will no-one build a laptop for gaming?? Or have they??

Alienware.com
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 29 Oct 2007, 04:33

Theoretically you can build your own, but laptops being the miserable little bastard children of tabletops that they are, are so incredibly picky and finicky about parts, sizes, compatibility, and heating that it's a nightmare, even for people who know a lot about computers.

~Alja~
brittwynn

Postby brittwynn » 29 Oct 2007, 06:40

Graham wrote:That's because the Canadian Accent™ isn't actually super common. Most Canadians tend to sound like we do, more of a neutral accent. But they do exist, believe me.
Consider that stereotypical American characters always talk like Texans, y'all.

After 5 years of living in Ottawa my Victoria friends all say I talk like a Torontonian now. Ick. Worse now I work in the Ottawa Valley, they actually talk like Canadaman down here, the Eh?s abound.
".... because I was inverted"
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 29 Oct 2007, 10:47

i like hows theres a dialect that people assume that people in a certain area speak, but in reality no on e really speaks that way... like how Texans speak with a southern drawl, when in reality i've never met anyone from texas who spoke like that...
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
D'Arcy
First Video: Something from season 2 or 3

Postby D'Arcy » 29 Oct 2007, 10:56

Good video, like the evil plans.

I think maybe sometime would like to see some status "games" or "work" between Paul and Graham.
I write about videogames over at http://www.hbhud.com

Don’t expect great things, already know that it’s great and match it.
iceberg1972
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby iceberg1972 » 29 Oct 2007, 11:27

Strangely enough, here in Minnesota, the "Range" accent is awfully damn close to the stereotypical Canadian accent.... It's quite eerie, really...
"Don't blink! Don't even blink! Blink and you're dead!"

- Doctor Who, "Blink"
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 29 Oct 2007, 13:48

korri wrote:i like hows theres a dialect that people assume that people in a certain area speak, but in reality no on e really speaks that way... like how Texans speak with a southern drawl, when in reality i've never met anyone from texas who spoke like that...

Well dang, you've not heard any Texas Politicians speaking. Or been to a rodeo. Or been to a ranch out in the country. Or been to a grocery store and overheard some random guy with a Texas dialect.

So what, New Yorkers don't speak with their own accent? I've got family in New York, I've been, and I can tell you regional accents are real. Maybe you've never met a Texan with a stereotypical Texan accent, but they exist.

~Alja~
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 29 Oct 2007, 14:04

I don't -think- I have an accent.

I do have a lot of what I've been told is damn odd slang, though.
HomerTheBrave

Postby HomerTheBrave » 29 Oct 2007, 15:21

korri wrote:i like hows theres a dialect that people assume that people in a certain area speak, but in reality no on e really speaks that way... like how Texans speak with a southern drawl, when in reality i've never met anyone from texas who spoke like that...

Y'aint never met the rait Texans.

And truth be told, the Texas accent isn't a southern drawl; it's a Texas accent. :-)

I grew up in East Texas. Every stereotype is true. In more cosmopolitan areas (yeah, I know...) such as Dallas and Houston, everyone has the midwestern newscaster accent. But a lot of middle class white people affect a tiny bit of twang to hint at the youth spent haulin' paaps ta awl wells or some such nonsense. Sort of a street-cred tactic, except in this case ranch-cred. Kinda like George Bush: All hat no cattle.
Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 29 Oct 2007, 20:18

Master Gunner wrote:We still light Fireworks on Canada Day, just look at Canadaman Adventures and you'll see the tail end of one. As for July 4th, obviously we have no reason to celebrate then, it's not our holiday.

Hey. You celebrate your friends' birthdays, even though they're not your birthdays. Celebrate your neighbors' holidays. We'll celebrate some of your holidays.

Thanksgiving twice a year. Num nums!
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 29 Oct 2007, 20:21

mmm thanksgiving is soon.. i'm gonna eat me some turkeys...
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 29 Oct 2007, 20:47

Turkeys are for sissies. Real men eat propane!

I mean... uh... Roast Pheasant.

~Alja-Markir~
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 29 Oct 2007, 21:14

I get to work Thanksgiving. It will be cool, since I don't have any family in Colorado anyways.
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 29 Oct 2007, 21:27

You have family here.

NAWT
i dont know what's happening anymore
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 31 Oct 2007, 01:20

I dunno about the rest of you but....YES! FINALLY! The return of Canadaman!! I've been waiting for this for a couple of months now, the original adventure(s) of Canadaman were hilariously scornful towards the cliche' Canadian voice\opinions on things. That, and the outfit is well made too, it's inspired me to make an "Australiaman" at some point, it probably won't hold a candle to Canadaman however. :P

Now, actual discussion on the video....While personally I didn't quite find it sidesplitting, I must say....It was still definitely funny. The bad-guys are awfully articulate in LRR videos aren't they? Although I must ask....The three musketeers? We aren't talking about replacing the Mars Bars with three tiny men running around in a similarly packaged bar to the Mars Bar are we?? Is it some kind of chocolate bar??
Graham in a locked thread wrote:Think before you post.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 31 Oct 2007, 06:41

Three Musketeers

US Three Musketeers = EU Milky Way
US Milky Way = EU Mars Bar
Snickers = Mars Bar + Peanuts
Snickers = Old EU Marathon Bar
US Smarties /= EU Smartees
Etc.

~Alja~
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 31 Oct 2007, 08:25

Does chocolate-coated habaneros count as "DOOM?"
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 31 Oct 2007, 18:38

Sable wrote:Does chocolate-coated habaneros count as "DOOM?"

Perhaps pure awesome. Maybe a little bit of powdered habanero in a large chocolate cake. As they say, chili peppers give chocolate a good kick.
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 31 Oct 2007, 20:39

You guys have fireworks on Halloween?

AND YOU STILL HAVE MARS BARS?!

DAMNIT, FIRST DOUBLE BIGMACS AND NOW THIS!

[jealous and bitter] ooooh, look at meee! I'm Caaaanada! I think I'm so big just because I have stuuupid fireworks on Halloween, and stuuupid mars bars and Double Big Macs and all America's got is Snickers and Single Big Macs, and yet we still don't have nearly as many fat bastards slothing around. ooooh! [/jealous and bitter]

Lousy sons of...
-Wraith
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 31 Oct 2007, 21:22

We had triple hamburgers.

Don't know why they don't have them anymore.
I loved them. /fat
i dont know what's happening anymore

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”