Chuck Norris is a whiny bitch

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Fumbles

Chuck Norris is a whiny bitch

Postby Fumbles » 21 Dec 2007, 23:39

fixed copy and pasted the wrong link

chuck norris is now a whiny bitch
Last edited by Fumbles on 21 Dec 2007, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd like to say to all the people of Australia - Kick me, I'm different."- Ron Hitler Barassi

Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 21 Dec 2007, 23:48

Why would you link us to a private myspace profile?
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 21 Dec 2007, 23:54

If they are using someone's name for profit, you can at least ask their permission and give them some money for doing so. Chuck Norris is not a whiny bitch.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 22 Dec 2007, 00:16

"Some of the 'facts' in the book are racist, lewd or portray Mr Norris as engaged in illegal activities," the lawsuit alleges."

He is a Christian after all, and too far is too far.
Image Image Image
Rhynome
First Video: Folklore

Postby Rhynome » 22 Dec 2007, 06:20

I thought such things were allowed for parody? I'm not expert on law, especially US law, but I always thought that might be the case.
If so, that could be why they're focusing on the "People might think the 'facts' were true due to the book's title." angle.

It seems they're arguing: Facts = true --> Facts say silly things --> people who think facts = true think chuck norris silly --> ROUNDHOUSE KICK.

So uh, I think they're just being silly; I wanna see these naughty 'facts' in person... and that just makes me want to buy the book... maybe Chuck's getting a cut of the sales?
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 22 Dec 2007, 06:25

Whether they are "facts" or not isn't the question. They are using Chuck Norris' name to capitalize without him giving his consent, or getting paid.
Rhynome
First Video: Folklore

Postby Rhynome » 22 Dec 2007, 06:28

So is that not allowed in the US even in cases of Parody? I mean Weird Al Yankovic didn't always ask permission, or so I hear.
Xiang

Postby Xiang » 22 Dec 2007, 06:28

To be fair, when they were on the internet, and they were funny, and free, and everyone had a good laugh it was fine.

I kind of question the need to release a hard copy book, (are there really that many facts?) and the fact that they now make money off of it sort of takes it to a different league entirely.

The way I think of it is like open source comedy. If the book was free, I would be more concerned about Chuck's lawsuit.
- Keep God out of California -
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 22 Dec 2007, 06:58

Xiang wrote:To be fair, when they were on the internet, and they were funny, and free, and everyone had a good laugh it was fine.

I kind of question the need to release a hard copy book, (are there really that many facts?) and the fact that they now make money off of it sort of takes it to a different league entirely.

The way I think of it is like open source comedy. If the book was free, I would be more concerned about Chuck's lawsuit.

Or if all the profits went directly to Chuck's favourite charity - kicking ass.
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 22 Dec 2007, 11:29

people who post things about chuck norris are whiny bitches
Xiang

Postby Xiang » 22 Dec 2007, 16:35

Allen! wrote:
Xiang wrote:To be fair, when they were on the internet, and they were funny, and free, and everyone had a good laugh it was fine.

Or if all the profits went directly to Chuck's favourite charity - kicking ass.

AGREED.
- Keep God out of California -
Nitro

Postby Nitro » 23 Dec 2007, 17:58

I think Xiang has it right.

I know for a fact that Chuck Norris use to love those fictitious jokes about him. He told a few of his favorite ones on The Late Show a few year back as well as a few of the others when he visited the US Marines in Iraq.

It must be because the people who published the book did so to make a quick buck without asking if it was alright to do so.
Last edited by Nitro on 24 Dec 2007, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.
* Peace Out, Rock Out. *
zombine
Location: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

Postby zombine » 23 Dec 2007, 18:09

Some of the "facts" are slanderous, like the one impregnating an entire football stadium. Unless they put a thing in the book that said all facts are fictional, then it would be slander, not parody.

further more they cant say all facts are false, because then they would be roundhouse kicked to death.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 23 Dec 2007, 22:56

No. Guys. You are missing the point. Chuck Norris endorses the "facts." The thing he's suing over is that people are making money by using his name. They didn't ask to use his name, and they didn't pay him to use his name.
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 23 Dec 2007, 23:04

Nitro wrote:I think Xiang has it right.

I know for a fact that Chuck Norris use to love those fictitious jokes about him. He told a few of his favorite ones on The Late Show a few year back as well as a few of the others when he visited the US Marines in Iraq.

I must be because the people who published the book did so to make a quick buck without asking if it was alright to do so.

I was just thinking about that, specially since Chuck was doing a political campaign's commercial for a guy and it was about those facts.

Found it!: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MDUQW8LUMs8

Return to “General Discussion”