What we are studying now

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

What we are studying now

Postby Lord Chrusher » 08 Jan 2008, 23:14

I am guessing that most people are back from their holidays and have started back at school. For many people this means new classes.

I am at the University of Victoria, doing my Bachelor of Science in Physics and Astronomy. I am taking:

ASTR 304 The Solar System
Astronomy and astrophysics of planets, satellites, comets, asteroids, meteorites and meteors, including recent results from space exploration.

ASTR 405 Introduction to Cosmology
Observations and theory of the expanding universe; the cosmic microwave background and observations of light nuclear elements; the growth of structure leading to the creation of stars and galaxies; studies of dark matter and dark energy; the impact of galaxy evolution on observational cosmology.

MATH 333C Linear Algebra
Vector spaces and linear transformations; the canonical forms; inner product spaces and the spectral theorem.

PHYS 321B Classical Mechanics: II
Rigid body dynamics, an introduction to analytical mechanics including Lagrange's and Hamilton's equations, theory of small oscillations.

PHYS 323 Quantum Mechanics: I
Introduction to quantum mechanics, historical review, postulates, development of the theory, and applications.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 08 Jan 2008, 23:15

Certified Cisco Network Associate
-So that I'm allowed to put networks together.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
cacho

Postby cacho » 08 Jan 2008, 23:19

Administrative Eng.
Electronic Eng.

And for fun a lot of programming shananigins
-_Guatemala Represent_-

www.warhammersupportsucks.com
...because you know it does.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 08 Jan 2008, 23:30

Returning to classes on Monday. Bachelor of Science Communication Sciences and Disorders that I hope to obtain in May.

~~~~~~~
Classes
~~~~~~~

EARTH 002: Gaia: the Earth Systems and Global Change - An interdisciplinary introduction to the processes, interactions and evolution of the earth's biosphere, geosphere and hydrosphere. I have no idea what that means.

KINES 093: Masters Activity: Advanced Ballroom Dance II - My Easy course, plus I really enjoy ballroom dance now, since I have placed in three events at a competition now.

CSD 301: Acoustic Principles in CSD - Explores the fundamental concepts of acoustics as applied to individuals with communicative disabilities; special emphasis is placed on the acoustic analysis of speech. In other words, wavelength physics dumbed down. I'm screwed.

CSD 433: Aural Rehabilitation - Methods for improving receptive skills of persons with hearing impairments; clinical observation and practice. A class that I already hate, as I may not be able to take it, and if I do, I take it at 8 IN THE FUCKIN MORNING.

CSD 442: Intro. to Disorders of Articulation and Phonology - Etiology, diagnosis, and treatment of articulation disorders. Great Professor for this class, too bad it's dull as can be.

CSD 444: Intro. to Organic Disorders of Speech and Language - Etiology, diagnosis, and principles of treatment of stuttering, and of speech-language disorders having organic bases. Stuttering, what a thrill.

CSD 462: Clinical Bases of Language Disorders - Description of pathological language and cognitive development, and principles of assessment and remediation among individuals with communication disorders. I get to evaluate a case study again, and try to memorize the development of language in kids. I can handle this.
Last edited by tak197 on 09 Jan 2008, 00:07, edited 2 times in total.
The Hitman

Postby The Hitman » 08 Jan 2008, 23:46

I'm also at UVic working on my BSc. in Mathematics. I'm cleaning up 2nd year crap and taking some vaguely time wasting courses, because I couldn't get into any of the math courses I wanted to get into. Hurray for missing prerequisites!

STAT 260 - Introduction to Probability and Statistics: I: Potentially the most boring and easy class of all time, but I figured since I need STAT 260 and 261 to get my degree it was time to actually take them.

MATH 233C - Introduction to Algebra: rings, fields, integral domains, groups, and all that crap. For some reason, this is either a prerequisite for or in time conflict with every interesting third year math course offered in the spring. Fortunately, it is super easy.

CSC 305 - Introduction to Computer Graphics: raster graphics, graphics primitives, coordinate systems and viewing of objects, shading models raytracing and modelling. This course looked fun and has no exam, which is always a bonus, even though there are a billion labs. A lot of math people seem to be taking this.

CSC 349A - Numerical Analysis: I: error analysis, roots of equations, solving systems of equations, interpolation, numerical integration and ordinary differential equations. Not super complicated stuff, but I wanted to take at least something on numerical methods.
"Just another Sunday paddleboat ride on a man-made lake with another lady stranger; if I remain lost and die on a cross, at least i wasn't born in a manger."
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 09 Jan 2008, 00:46

Edited for content.
Last edited by Unlucky on 05 Aug 2008, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.
Graham in a locked thread wrote:Think before you post.
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 09 Jan 2008, 01:30

Already Graduated!! Yay!!

.... suckers....heh heh heh

(anthropology in case you were wondering)
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 09 Jan 2008, 01:48

This is my fourth year at UVic and I am looking at being in school for at least the next five years.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 09 Jan 2008, 02:07

Tapir12 wrote:Already Graduated!! Yay!!

Then why were you at UVic on Monday HMMMMM!?
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 09 Jan 2008, 02:10

Graham wrote:Then why were you at UVic on Monday HMMMMM!?

Gee, don't tell us what you're doing at Uni at the moment or anything Graham. :P
Graham in a locked thread wrote:Think before you post.
NachoManLance
First Video: The Stages

Postby NachoManLance » 09 Jan 2008, 03:26

I'm just a community college student, so nothing here is really impressive. But i've got four classes on the 28th...

Public Speaking: Persuasive and informative speaking, research and evaluation, learning to listen, etc. Just decided to take it with a friend.

Intro to Sociology: Studying human behavior. Inspired by idiots on the internet and how to cure them (of which none of them are you fine folks).

Digital Music Production: Audio recording and techniques using ProTools software and hardware. Lots of mixing, editing, and basic recording as well.

Percussion Ensemble: Banging on drums with a group. Brazilian, Calypso, and South American music mostly in focus.

Music is my current major, if it wasn't noticeable already. Later on I plan to get into a film school as soon as I can afford it and work with screenwriting or cinematography.
http://twitter.com/NachoManLance

<Witty quote that induces a chuckle>
cacho

Postby cacho » 09 Jan 2008, 07:05

UVic ? omg you guys are like 5min from the sea, that's cool.

You could even swim to the US.
-_Guatemala Represent_-

www.warhammersupportsucks.com

...because you know it does.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 09 Jan 2008, 07:54

I'm studying to be a materials engineer.. basically i take all the stuff everythings made out of and make it better...

so my classes are...

Selection and performance of materials - involves the application of materials and process selection metholodogies used in design

Properties of Ceramics and Glasses- Focuses on the properties of ceramics and glasses... pretty self explanatory

Polymeric Biomaterials- about basic and applied concepts of polymers as biomaterials

Color photography and digital output- color film class, but since we don't have a color darkroom at cmu, we have to develope the film and then scan it into a computer

Photographers and Photography since World War II- again, self explanatory, its a photo history class

Physics of Musical Sound- umm.. the physics that are part of musical sound...

Trombone studio- trombone lessons

Organ studio- organ lessons

so yeah, i'm an materials major, but we have to do a "depth" sequence, which means we have to a buncch of classes in one area, and mines music, which explains the music classes, but i'm also doing a photo minor...

and if you're really curious, you can actually see my schedule here... http://scheduleman.org/share/r6MGVHWUgk because my school is nerdy and someone made a website that has all the classes and a nice scheduling thingy..
Last edited by korri on 09 Jan 2008, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Mouse

Postby Mouse » 09 Jan 2008, 07:56

Community college as well for me.

I decided to have a lazy quarter and take:

Creative Writing 221
French 101
-Holy kleenex, Batman, it was right under our noses the whole time!
-Satan wears a bucket hat!
-If tin whistles are made of tin, what are fog horns made of?
-Lewis has AIDS
-Meddle ye not with dragons, for ye are crunchy and good with ketchup
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 09 Jan 2008, 08:45

Intro to technical theatre (specializing in lighting)
Intro to theatre design
Dramaturgy and playwriting
Contemporary Cinema

I am a damned dirty theatre student.
Last edited by emma on 09 Jan 2008, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
Nitro

Postby Nitro » 09 Jan 2008, 08:49

I don't really have standard college classes anymore.

I earned my Bachelor's degree on 5 May 2007 (Biology).

Completed BCT 26 July 2007 (Army).

Completed OCS and received my commission on 1 November 2007.

I am currently waiting for my BOLC II class to start on the 13th, but more than likely will have to wait till February because of an influx of direct commissions. (Medical Services and JAG)

Not that I mind. BOLC II is basically a 6 week infantry class, and I have already had that training in BCT and OCS. (I mean, you can only field strip a 249 SAW or 240B so many times before it's no longer fun) Really it is suppose to be a refresher course for OCS, ROTC, and Academy grads while teaching the "directs" which end of an M4 is the end that goes "bang".

I really can't wait for my BOLC III class to pick up though. Once in the class, I will be able to play with everything from 3'' mortars to 155mm self propelled M109A6 Paladins!!!

I guess you could say I like my classes now.
* Peace Out, Rock Out. *
sweeks

Postby sweeks » 09 Jan 2008, 09:54

electrical engineering here

classes

control systems 441
integrated electronics 465
electric machines 489
digital systems 453
science technology and society 481
Karkon

Postby Karkon » 09 Jan 2008, 11:46

History student here, I will be studying the concept of history (don't ask) South African history (white folks hatin' on blacks) history of British crime and punishment (crazy sentences ftw) and new British Politics (institions of the 20th century, and how no one cares.)

I should be studying right now South African history for a big, big essay. However, my notebook, filled with a term's worth of work, has gone missing.

I am so, so fucked.

Only if zombie Abe Lincoln came busting through my wall riding a bear that shoots eye lazers could I be any more fucked.
As a History student, the history degree I'll be getting will get me a decent job, right? Guys? Where you going?
The Hitman

Postby The Hitman » 09 Jan 2008, 11:51

He might know something about South African history, though, being a learned man/zombie, so if you subdued him, you could ask him questions.
"Just another Sunday paddleboat ride on a man-made lake with another lady stranger; if I remain lost and die on a cross, at least i wasn't born in a manger."
Karkon

Postby Karkon » 09 Jan 2008, 12:00

Subdue Abe? What am I, Chuck Norris?

...okay, this has a potential to severely meander off topic, for which I apologize.
As a History student, the history degree I'll be getting will get me a decent job, right? Guys? Where you going?
The Pious Flea

Postby The Pious Flea » 09 Jan 2008, 12:03

I am learning about looking for a new job after another bank bought us up and shut us down.
I require a dance of intellect. Put on your thinking shoes!

Dance with us, LRR! Dance with us into oblivion!

Do not question me! I control your arms!
Nitro

Postby Nitro » 09 Jan 2008, 15:11

The Pious Flea wrote:I am learning about looking for a new job after another bank bought us up and shut us down.

Damn. That sucks.
* Peace Out, Rock Out. *
Citin

Postby Citin » 09 Jan 2008, 15:52

I'm just a boring first year student at the University of Saskatchewan taking my Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science.

Agricultural Science II

An introduction to agricultural systems and the interactions between microbial plant, animal, and human components. The emphasis is on issues and problems associated with animal production, value-added processing, marketing and the consumption of food.

Biology 121

Basically just looking at the different types of animals

Chemistry 250

Introduction to Organic Chemistry, stupid Carbon and it`s bonding

Psychology 110

A basic look at the history, schools and techniques used in psychology

Economics 111

Price theory and resource allocation. Basically just an introductory microeconomics course.
"I'll be in Africa. If you need me just phone Africa, I told them to expect your call." - The Pointy Haired Boss
jtaylor
ASCII Ninja
First Video: Talk Like a Pirate

Postby jtaylor » 10 Jan 2008, 15:01

The Hitman wrote:CSC 349A - Numerical Analysis: I: error analysis, roots of equations, solving systems of equations, interpolation, numerical integration and ordinary differential equations. Not super complicated stuff, but I wanted to take at least something on numerical methods.

I am doing a project with the approximation algorithms for roots of equations over the next two months.
Not Kevin

Postby Not Kevin » 10 Jan 2008, 15:55

Hey I'm doing a Bachelor of Science in Physics at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

Classes:
Honors Physics 2
Computer Science 1
Calculus 2
Personalities

p.s. nice site LRR.

Return to “General Discussion”