FRIDAY NIGHTS: Guild Fight

Talk about the latest LRR draft videos or Friday Nights.
Graham
Super Moderator

FRIDAY NIGHTS: Guild Fight

Postby Graham » 03 May 2013, 00:49

LoadingReadyRun hosts an unsanctioned draft at the Moonbase featuring teams for a few guilds. But not all is as it seems.
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Re: FRIDAY NIGHTS: Guild Fight

Postby Drecon » 03 May 2013, 01:08

Ah, nothing like a friendly tournament among friends.

Feel the love!
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 03 May 2013, 04:55

Leave it to Kathleen to always be a Dimir agent.
Loved James being the bad guy in the end and I hope in a future episode Matt gets his revenge :)
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 03 May 2013, 05:08

Tally got all of the best lines here.

Jer looked mighty sharp dressed as a mafioso. I liked the Orzhov tie pin; that was a good touch.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 03 May 2013, 05:12

I absolutely loved Tally and Graham in this:

Tally: "We're [super cheesy name]!"

Graham: "You'll have to get back to us while we think of a name"

Great stuff :D
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 03 May 2013, 05:30

There was so much gold in this one that I don't even know where to start. It was hilarious and sheer saturation of Magic swag throughout was intense. I want an Orzhov clock.
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 03 May 2013, 06:42

I've wanted for a while now (but lack the materials, technical experience to actually try) to make a Magic peripheral that would sell thousands: the Orzhov life counter.

It's basically just a couple of spring scales that divides the measured weight by a calibrated amount. When you have 20 coins on it, the readout says 20 life. The Orzhov element comes in when your life total changes, (because thematically, money is life for Orzhov) and especially when you extort by moving coins from one scale to the other.

But I digress.

This episode was strong. One thing nags at me though: Who won when Jer played Paul?
shellangel
First Video: Videogame Fighting Tournment

Postby shellangel » 03 May 2013, 08:32

is graham ever going to win a game of magic in the Friday nights world?
LadyRhian
First Video: "The Job

Postby LadyRhian » 03 May 2013, 08:33

Yay! It's Tally!

I do have to say, Graham, white and green are *not* your colors! Liked the watch cap inside, though. And Jer looked awesome in his suit. Best dressed for me went to Jer and Tally, which is probably not a surprise
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 03 May 2013, 09:24

I had a hard time getting into this episode... primarily because Cam wasn't Izzet!

j/k

Awesome stuff.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
MisterDee
First Video: It's Magic

Postby MisterDee » 03 May 2013, 13:17

I have a problem. As soon as I learned Kathleen would be representing Simic... I just knew it was a Dimir front.
Professor STAFF
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby Professor STAFF » 03 May 2013, 14:22

This is, without a doubt, one of the best episodes of Friday Nights, if not the best episode. Everything was firing on all cylinders, and an enthusiastic congratulations should be offered to Graham for the writing and the rest of the cast for their superb performances.

It was so nice to see that Matt is still in the show. He was not featured prominently in "Grinding" and was only mentioned in name in "The Return." His performance here was pitch perfect, in fact, everyone was used properly and delivered the laughs.

Cam has made a great addition to the cast. Does he play Magic in real life?

"How do you draft?"
Before the credits even rolled, I knew this episode was going to land perfectly as soon as Tally asked, "How do you draft?" Although Friday Nights should not be considered an instructional series where the true goal is to teach viewers how to play, having a character who is unfamiliar with a particular format is a great narrative tool to enable Magic related talk and jokes. This is all akin to Paul's journey in Season 1, and I really like having a character who played back in middle school returning to the game and trying to get up to speed.

"Oh, God...grade 7..."
Alex and Jer having a frightening flashback to 7th grade and the fact they played their Beta and Unlimited cards on the pavement without sleeves and traded away cards of legendary value for absolute jank was a wonderful sequence. As a returning player myself (aren't most of us?) I laughed a little too hard at this exchange.

"I'm pretty happy with how I did."
Tally makes a wonderful addition to the cast, and I hope we get a chance to see more of her. I really like that she's a returning player who dropped out around the time of Ice Age and Mirage (extra points for her calling them the summer and winter sets). I hope we see more of her; her comedic timing and energy are perfect for this series, and quite frankly it is nice to have another woman on the show. My wife, who also plays Magic, is often very frustrated and even uncomfortable at the fact Magic can appear to be so heavily dominated by men. Often times she is the only woman at Friday Night Magic. In fact, in the early days she would actually have to hear comments about the oddity of a woman playing Magic, which, sadly, has some truth to it. By diversifying the gender representation on the show, we can both get players used to the idea of women players and also create a more welcoming environment for women players (my wife, by the way, loves the series as much as I do).

"What can school teach you that Magic can't?"
All Magic aside, the best moment of pure comedy was Matt's talk about dropping out of school with the rest of the cast. A very large percentage of Magic players are in Matt's position, i.e. college students and graduate students, and his droll delivery of lines like, "You've sold me, Cam. I'll just drop out right now."

"I'm always Dimir, James."
I do need to take a moment to discuss something that i found a little troubling, and that would be Kathleen and Cam's cheating. As far as the comedy of their Dimir subterfuge went, it was gold. I laughed very hard at Kathleen and Cam's basement meeting, as well as their individual reactions to getting caught. Funny stuff, and this is first and foremost, a comedy series. My problem with them cheating is that a) They did essentially ruin the draft for everyone else. We're not talking a casual standard or modern constructed kitchen table play here, where joking around has little consequence other than hilarity. They were cracking packs and drafting, i.e. spending money, and with Kathleen and Cam both cheating that not only are ruining the overall draft for everyone, but they are essentially wasting everyone's money that they spent with the intention of having a good time with friends. Which bring me to, b) People would not continue to want to play with them. If you get caught cheating at your local game store, you're banned. Period. If you get caught cheating at an informal gathering of friends and Magic players where everyone has essentially chipped in and bought a box of booster packs for draft, you're likely going to ruin some friendships and you sure as shine aren't going to be invited back. Seeing Kathleen not even apologize ("I was just joking! It's a joke! I'm Dimir so i snuck in old Dimir cards! Get it? Sorry, I didn't think people would be this pissed!) and just sit and giggle about a side event for disqualified players doesn't earn her character much sympathy.

Again, this wasn't a big problem, and I did laugh, but I also felt a little weird about the whole thing as soon as Cam confirmed that the plan was to cheat. However, wrack my brain as I might, I can not think of an alternative Dimir-like action that the duo could have performed instead, and the reveal that SURPRISE! Kathleen and Cam are not Simic but Dimir agents was so hilarious that I'll allow a slight hiccup in the plausability that she'd actually cheat in a game with her closest friends and lover. Although i did once promise my wife not to attack her in a game of EDH if she'd attack someone other than me...and then i attacked her anyway. I got in deep, deep crap for it though.

Weakest Joke: Matt's "One day, James..." threat that intentionally fell flat. It was more of a Commodore Hustle joke, went on a little too long, and was the only moment in this video that had nothing to do with Magic. It was still funny, just not AS funny as everything else.

Technical/Visual Issue: Cam and Kathleen's Simic sweaters didn't come across as very green. In fact, they looked black. I love the idea of them pulling off green sweaters to reveal black ones underneath, but I swear it looked like they both were black.

Overall, this was an amazing episode that really demonstrated the advantage of filming these one at a time instead of all at once, what with the timely use of Ravnica Guilds. Does this mean we'll get a Friday Nights all around Modern Masters? One can only hope!

Suggestions for the future: The continued narrative of Tally the returning player? How about one of the more experienced players getting bored with standard and draft and exploring the fun of other formats: Highlander? Paupers?

Grade: A+ Excellent, excellent work.
headband
First Video: Decadent Sports League

Postby headband » 03 May 2013, 16:03

For the cheating thing, Professor, part of that is the suspension of disbelief at work. It's that same as how in sit-coms the characters are always making snippy comments at each other, even when they're the best of friends. If it's funny, it doesn't really matter, and you said it was funny, so it doesn't matter. XD

At least that's how I take it.
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 03 May 2013, 16:57

headband wrote:For the cheating thing, Professor, part of that is the suspension of disbelief at work. It's that same as how in sit-coms the characters are always making snippy comments at each other, even when they're the best of friends. If it's funny, it doesn't really matter, and you said it was funny, so it doesn't matter. XD

At least that's how I take it.

I concur. For me, LRR's self-referential videos have distinct levels of disbelief to take into account. (It's all very scientific, I assure you)

Commodore Hustle: Shenanigans can happen at any time, with hilarious results.

Friday Nights: Magic-related shenanigans can happen at any time, with hilarious results.

Loading Time: James-related shenanigans can happen at any time, with bizarre hilarious results.

I believe Kathleen and Cam being secret Dimir agents falls under "Magic-related shenanigans", registering at 1.5 deci-crays on the DeVere Crayscale and thus preserving the integrity of the Disbelief Suspension Matrix, ensuring that the Jimmies wavefunction collapses into its un-rustled state.

For further research, you can find me at the Univeristy of Memetic Analysis, DisBelief Research and Observiation. (But not on Tuesdays, the square-dancing society has the offices from 9-5.)
"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

LRL: http://imgur.com/a/EoMQz#0
Desert Bus 007: http://imgur.com/a/ikM5G#0
Desert Bus 8: http://imgur.com/a/ksPiS

Twitter | Twitch

Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 03 May 2013, 18:44

LadyRhian wrote:I do have to say, Graham, white and green are *not* your colors!

Ah! So good of you to bring this up!

I've been thinking about this a lot (I'm sure it's too much, I admit to being an addict. I've got all my friends into guilds and colors... I have a problem).

I'm thinking Graham would be Boros. He's got the control/creativity-side of him showing.

On the others:

Kathleen works as Dimir (not as explicitly as shown, but still, it fits)
Paul is mono-blue (intellectual thinker and stuff)
James feels Gruul to me, although I could be wrong.
Alex seems mono-red, though that might be his internet-persona, rather than his actual persona
Matt seems mono-white, although that might also be his acting persona...

Alright... I do have a problem, but I can't be the only one to have thought about this?
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 03 May 2013, 20:38

So it just hit me:

James is always the cop.

And what is the closest thing to a cop in the world of Magic?

Brilliant.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 03 May 2013, 20:50

Awesome awesome stuff. I loved most minutes of it. :D
MisterDee wrote:I have a problem. As soon as I learned Kathleen would be representing Simic... I just knew it was a Dimir front.
My thoughts exactly, too.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Pimpin J
First Video: Escapist News Network

Postby Pimpin J » 04 May 2013, 10:03

To show you how clueless I am about magic, even though I have recently started playing, I did not understand most of the terms they used :(
First Video: Unskippable of something

Postby XSin » 06 May 2013, 23:47

For people who saw the stinger and are curious, Judge exams are actually a lot of fun and you can take mock ones to test your knowledge of obscure MTG rulings and interactions :)

Just google MTG Judge Center (this forum seems to get angry at me for posting anything link-shaped)
Professor STAFF
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby Professor STAFF » 07 May 2013, 08:44

What fun! My LGS played this episode on their giant flat screen before last nights draft (big crowd! 2 pods of 8 and a Modern constructed group), and it got a big response. It was a lot of fun to watch this with a crowd of Magic players. Everyone was excited to draft to begin with, and the video really put everyone in a good mood. It got A LOT of laughs.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 07 May 2013, 12:31

Professor STAFF wrote:What fun! My LGS played this episode on their giant flat screen before last nights draft (big crowd! 2 pods of 8 and a Modern constructed group), and it got a big response. It was a lot of fun to watch this with a crowd of Magic players. Everyone was excited to draft to begin with, and the video really put everyone in a good mood. It got A LOT of laughs.
That's so awesome!
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 27 Sep 2013, 09:01

I was just rewatching this one today, and saw for the first time that when they sit down to draft, Matt is holding a pair of scissors... it's so subtle, I love it!
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]

Return to “MtG”