Design a Card

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
WP&P
First Video: Friday Nights

Re: Design a Card

Postby WP&P » 18 Mar 2017, 06:06

Re: Relentless Revenant

I like it, aside from the tracking complexity. In trying to think of a way to handle counter on a thing in the graveyard, I thought maybe it could leave behind some kind of token permanent when it dies, then cause you to sac all those permanents when it ETBs, gaining a counter for each sac.

I guess they've done the "sticky counters" thing before so maybe it's not too much of an issue.

"When RR dies remove all +1/+1 counters from RR and create that many black token enchantments named Relentless Haunting. Whenever RR ETB's sacrifice all enchantments named Relentless Haunting, and for each enchantment sacrificed this way, put a +1/+1 counter on RR. As long as RR is in the graveyard, you may pay (B) for each enchantment named RH you control; if you do, put it onto the battlefield."

This might be a lot stronger, though, as multiples can feed off each other... thus perhaps need to be costed higher.
What do model railroading and Magic: The Gathering have in common?
I don't have enough time or money for either!

http://wpandp.com/Home/the-rest/unprinted-a-magic-un-set/
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 18 Mar 2017, 10:54

The game has done sticky counters before with Skullbriar, the walking grave, and I think it's fine. The idea you suggested works with parallel lives a lot better, plus if you have ways of animating enchantments and pumping them, then those things are suddenly a potential threat. I think the design is fine as is.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 18 Mar 2017, 16:05

Well poop... it just erased my reply... Short version:

Enchantment version is actually more complex than sticky counters, messes with other things (being able to sac permanents/things that care about # of enchantments - would probably be broken with constellation for instance).

It's essentially a 2/1 for BB over two turns - with recursion as an upside.

I would probably tack on the standard 'sorcery speed'/'can't block'/'enters untapped' to prevent instant speed blockers.
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 18 Mar 2017, 16:58

Funny little note inspired by Chetoos' comment - effects that increase the number of counters placed on permanents you control wouldn't function for Relentless Revenant, since cards in the graveyard aren't permanents.

And it does have the Sorcery-speed restriction already. I toyed with the idea of having it enter tapped but be usable at instant speed. I don't quite remember the reason I decided against that.
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 18 Mar 2017, 23:08

Ah so it does - not entirely sure how I missed that. (Enter tapped means you can't use it as a blocker, even if you cast it on your turn. Basically the trade-off is can block first turn vs being unable to block first turn but able to cast it eot. More defensive vs offensively optioned.)

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”