PS3 or XBox 360

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.

PS3 or Xbox 360?

PS3
65%
XBox 360
26%
Neither, just keep playing Crystal Chronicles on the Wii!
3%
FF13 isn't worth it, don't bother getting it!
6%

Total votes: 31
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Re: PS3 or XBox 360

Postby Metcarfre » 12 Mar 2010, 12:49

Controller preference is a highly personal thing, so the whole 360-vs.-PS3-controller is highly subjective. I, for example, have never been able to use ANY Playstation controller, at all. They are far too small for my hands. For that reason, I prefer the 360.

Another thing, though; 360s are surprisingly loud when playing a game. "ARE YOU PLAYING MW2 OR DID SOMEONE START UP A JET ENGINE IN HERE? WHAT!!?"
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 12 Mar 2010, 14:44

wartjr2373 wrote:When I was choosing between PS3 and 360, there was only one real issue I considered, and that was "which console has better exclusives." With a lot of games releasing on both consoles, minor differences notwithstanding, consider the games that you won't be able to play if you get one of the consoles. Details like the controller, the UI, and the achievements aren't nearly as important.

The end result of my consideration was the PS3. I was able to buy Little Big Planet, Uncharted, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue and Metal Gear Solid 4. Later, I bought Katamari Forever, God of War Collection (GoW3 soon!) and Uncharted 2.

You can refer to these links if you want a list of the better exclusives for each console:
360 Exclusives
PS3 Exclusives

Those lists aren't comprehensive, and they were published over half a year ago, but it should give you an idea of what to expect.

You, my friend, win this thread. I think this might've been precisely what I have been looking for! Obviously I'll still consider everyone's opinions, but this looks to be a really good deal breaker.

Edit- Hmmm, Xbox is looking less favourable now as although most of the PS3 exclusives actually are that, I think I've played roughly half a dozen of those 'Xbox 360 exclusives' on my PC. They're brilliant games, no doubt about it, but they're not technically exclusive to the Xbox when you take into account the entirety of gaming...
I must admit looking at those lists, from the games given, I think I'm definitely leaning more towards the PS3 in terms of exclusive games.... I don't see this decision getting any easier any time soon... ^^;
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 12 Mar 2010, 15:44

While I do love the PS3 for it's sheer power and awesome games, the 360 withholds my beloved Halo and better built online services so it's in my favor. Also the 360 controller is more comfortable for me.

Also the 360 gets special editions like the Halo, Call of Duty, and the Final Fantasy XIII cases.
wartjr2373
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wartjr2373 » 13 Mar 2010, 07:54

Myrph wrote:Hmmm, Xbox is looking less favourable now as although most of the PS3 exclusives actually are that, I think I've played roughly half a dozen of those 'Xbox 360 exclusives' on my PC. They're brilliant games, no doubt about it, but they're not technically exclusive to the Xbox when you take into account the entirety of gaming...
I must admit looking at those lists, from the games given, I think I'm definitely leaning more towards the PS3 in terms of exclusive games.... I don't see this decision getting any easier any time soon... ^^;

I think, generally speaking, 360 releases have a better chance of releasing on the PC as well, you know, considering Microsoft is involved.
Just call me Dylan. It's easier to pronounce.

Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 13 Mar 2010, 12:25

Yeah, like that Halo thing.

Oh wait...
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
Beta-guy

Postby Beta-guy » 13 Mar 2010, 16:08

The PS3

look I'll try to make it as definitive in 1 post as I can, the failure rate of the Xbox 360 appears to be RISING look at the artcile dated in 2007 claiming 33% failure rate http://www.ripten.com/2007/07/03/failur ... ss-than-1/ and a 2009 article stating it to be 54.2%

Xbox 360 still uses DVD's a media that is more susceptible to being scratched (Blu-ray the PS3 media uses scratch protection that has been shown to stand up against steel wool and still work) Microsoft has banned xbox 360's of users that simply wanted to allow them to make and use backup copies of their discs in the event that their discs did get scratched

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8355840.stm
"Well copying anything to make a profit is illegal but at the same time I'm tired of paying for a game, CD, movie, and getting a scratch just for the disc to be worthless. I'm already paying $59.99 for a game and I shouldn't have to pay a second time for something I already own because of a scratch or something. Let us copy our own games or at least get a replacement with out having to pay $59.99 again."

and to top it all the Xbox 360 scratches the discs that make users want to have backups as mention above http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlQYkaXv8RU

the PS3 has added benefit of being able to play Blu-ray movies so you can enjoy your favorite movies in the best way possible but you're also capable of playing DVD's, the scratch protection I mentioned b4 ensures your games are safe from scratches.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 13 Mar 2010, 16:40

360. Controller is much more ergonomic.

Also, epic Sony fanboyism there, Beta. Two things, the 360 scratches discs if you move it between standing and laying while playing a game, a stupid thing to do. And DVDs are NOT more suceptible to being scratched than blu-ray. I don't know where you heard that, but wrong. The difference between the two is the media, not the materials. And if you're rubbing your discs against steel wool, you deserve to have them scratched.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 13 Mar 2010, 16:52

the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Arius

Postby Arius » 13 Mar 2010, 17:40

All Blu-Ray Disc media are required by specification to be scratch-resistant.[59] DVD media are not required to be scratch-resistant, but since development of the technology, some companies, such as Verbatim, implemented hard-coating for more expensive lineups of recordable DVDs.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Beta-guy

Postby Beta-guy » 13 Mar 2010, 17:42

Arius wrote:360. Controller is much more ergonomic.

Also, epic Sony fanboyism there, Beta. Two things, the 360 scratches discs if you move it between standing and laying while playing a game, a stupid thing to do. And DVDs are NOT more suceptible to being scratched than blu-ray. I don't know where you heard that, but wrong. The difference between the two is the media, not the materials. And if you're rubbing your discs against steel wool, you deserve to have them scratched.

first of all it plays after lots of abuse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5jEbZt6AIQ (audio disabled by youtube due to copyright music)

secondly "Durabis (Latin for "you will last") is a brand name for a clear polymer coating developed by the TDK Corporation. The need for a protective polymer arose because the data layer on Blu-ray Discs is much closer to the surface of the disc than in other disc formats, such as HD DVD. One of its principal applications at first will be for scratch resistance in Blu-ray Disc and other optical discs. It is claimed to be tough enough to resist screwdriver damage and make scratched optical discs (CDs and DVDs) a thing of the past." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durabis

I'm not actually a Sony fanboy, I I looked at the specs and chose the machine that offered more, the fact that it doesn't kill itself by overheating is just a plus, I didn't go into the difference between online system (xbox live you need to pay and PSN is free to play online) if you watch the video I showed it explained the difference between the xbox 360 lens and the TSST DVD player. I used news articles to back up my claims you call me a fanboy you're the one that denied what I said without a shred of proof to back up your argument.
Arius

Postby Arius » 13 Mar 2010, 17:57

Have you looked at your signature?
Beta-guy

Postby Beta-guy » 13 Mar 2010, 18:01

Arius wrote:Have you looked at your signature?

so instead on debating on what I actually said you call me a fanboy because I tweeted something that echoed what I posted about namely all of the problems the Xbox 360 has... bravo I guess that means all the news articles I referenced backing my statements up can be ignored because of a tweet lol [sarcasm]you're definitely not a fanboy defending his choice of xbox[/sarcasm] :)
Arius

Postby Arius » 13 Mar 2010, 18:04

Actually, I'm not debating.

I'm calling you a rabid fanboy.

Also, I'm planning to get a PS3 when I have a chance. So, piss right off.

My issue is the rabid fanboyism coming from you. SONY AND MICROSOFT DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT YOU. I don't understand why you have such consumer loyalty. You're basically saying, "Hey, Sony. Charge me whatever you want. I'm yours."

Fanboyism is the best thing for these companies because that means they can get away with so much and still make a huge profit.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 13 Mar 2010, 18:16

Ar, you haven't actually addressed his point. Does it make him a rabid fanboy because he tweeted (something, I never saw)? Also, the 360 controller definitely feels better, but it's D-pad is atrocious. Thus, Super Puzzle Fighter isn't as fun as it should be. Also, the PS3 is just capable of more (graphically) than the 360. And motionally...soon. I've pretty much been jaded by everything console makers say since the Wii came into existence, but if Playstation Move works as well as they say, there will be a ton more opportunities.

To disappoint me.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

Beta-guy

Postby Beta-guy » 13 Mar 2010, 18:23

Arius wrote:Actually, I'm not debating.

I'm calling you a rabid fanboy.

Also, I'm planning to get a PS3 when I have a chance. So, piss right off.

My issue is the rabid fanboyism coming from you. SONY AND MICROSOFT DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT YOU. I don't understand why you have such consumer loyalty. You're basically saying, "Hey, Sony. Charge me whatever you want. I'm yours."

Fanboyism is the best thing for these companies because that means they can get away with so much and still make a huge profit.

again not a fanboy, I'm not saying sony is perfect, I had a launch PS3 and it died on me, I'm now using a third generation PS3 (that lacks PS2 backwards compatibility) and it has a way lower temperature than than my previous model when did I profess my undying love of Sony? a free online gaming environment Vs Microsoft's xbox live yeah I guess that's me saying sony charge me whatever you want lol, or maybe it's the console itself the PS3 at a whopping $299.99 when you can get the Xbox 360 at a bargain price of $279.99 that extra $20 is where Sony puts into their world domination bank account :P

I also never once said Sony cares about you, me or anything else besides the bottom line, so I'm not seeing how you come to the conclusion that I'm a fanboy simply because I point out the failings of the xbox 360.

seriously chill and if you actually feel this passionate about the xbox 360 post news articles showing that it's improving the failure rate, show us that the disc scratching issue is resolved or that a system is in place for xbox 360 gamers to buy cheap replacement discs using a proof of purchase + X amount of money mailed to MS/whatever game makers the disc belonged to maybe even if Microsoft made Durabis or similar material a requirement of xbox 360 games but I haven't heard anything like that so don't call me a fanboy for stating facts, use news articles to show your argument if your arguments actually holds any weight...
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 13 Mar 2010, 18:27

Well, in fairness, the only reason no one's getting sued over replacement PS3 games or backups is because no one can afford to make them. Blu-ray is expensive.

Arius

Postby Arius » 13 Mar 2010, 18:28

His tweet talked about how much he loved to tell people how the 360 sucks.

And the fact is, I really don't care so much about his rabid inflation of the 360 scratching discs. My 360 is a first generation, was brand new when I got it, and it has never scratched a disc nor been sent in for repairs. But I don't give a shit.

They're toys. That's it.

Running around shouting how one toy is better than another... It's insipid.

Yeah, the PS3 is capable of showing a few more polygons. You know what:

It doesn't matter how many polygons you can use. You can make pretty games without spending twelve weeks rendering eyelashes.

I knew this was gonna happen when FFXIII came out.

What do any of you have to gain by one more person buying a PS3 or 360? Unless one of the companies is giving you money for sales, spending your time putting down one system or another is being a fanboy.

That's exactly how it works.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 13 Mar 2010, 18:36

Ar wrote:His tweet talked about how much he loved to tell people how the 360 sucks.

I enjoy joking about Bush being the worst president. Doesn't make me a Gore, other guy, or Obama fanboy.

Ar wrote:Image

FarCry 2 PC is so pretty.

Ar wrote:It doesn't matter how many polygons you can use. You can make pretty games without spending twelve weeks rendering eyelashes.

Never had a framerate drop...that I remember. Albeit, I don't own either system, so my experience is based off playing on other people's.

Ar wrote:What do any of you have to gain by one more person buying a PS3 or 360? Unless one of the companies is giving you money for sales, spending your time putting down one system or another is being a fanboy.

Myrph wrote:This is a genuine decision that I have to make some time in the next 2-4 weeks.

I'm a helper!

Also, if you increase the userbase of one system, you have more people in its online games. So maybe I don't need to spend 4 hours searching for a Fat Princess game only to have it say that it can't connect. And then return me to the main menu. What gives man? Oh, it can't connect. Well, blimey, I guess I don't wanna play anymore. Seriously, just look for another game. Like how Halo 3 does it. You too Modern Warfare 2.

Beta-guy

Postby Beta-guy » 13 Mar 2010, 18:41

Arius wrote:His tweet talked about how much he loved to tell people how the 360 sucks.

And the fact is, I really don't care so much about his rabid inflation of the 360 scratching discs. My 360 is a first generation, was brand new when I got it, and it has never scratched a disc nor been sent in for repairs. But I don't give a shit.

They're toys. That's it.

Running around shouting how one toy is better than another... It's insipid.

Yeah, the PS3 is capable of showing a few more polygons. You know what:

It doesn't matter how many polygons you can use. You can make pretty games without spending twelve weeks rendering eyelashes.

I knew this was gonna happen when FFXIII came out.

What do any of you have to gain by one more person buying a PS3 or 360? Unless one of the companies is giving you money for sales, spending your time putting down one system or another is being a fanboy.

That's exactly how it works.

so in other words you can't actually find fault with any of my arguments, you can me a fanboy and spend your time arguing without backing up anything you say and you think that's making the most of your time? why don't you do spend time playing with your toy like I am, and stop this pointless arguing especially if you won't/can't back up anything you say.

also a fanboy blindly attacks using FUD (Fear uncertainty and doubt) rather than facts because sometime facts get in the way of what you want to believe. I am not a fanboy, I hold to the facts and take pleasure in using facts to state my argument, it just so happen this time the facts I used was attacking the xbox 360 I also took pride in attacking macs at one point (guess what I'm now saving to buy a mac does that make me a PC or mac fanboy I really need to know lol) all I can say is grow up and stop getting upset if you don't have anything to add...
Arius

Postby Arius » 13 Mar 2010, 18:41

Gord, do me a favour. Hush.

I'm not talking about framerate drops. I'm talking about there being a better way to spend time making a game.

That's a 360 screenshot by the way.

And there's a difference between giving a suggestion and attacking a system.

---

Beta, how much research have you done on the 360 failure rate? If it's anything more than googling those links...
Arius

Postby Arius » 13 Mar 2010, 18:46

Oh and:
Myrph wrote:Basically, I need to decide which of the two consoles has the better catalogue of games, both disc releases and on XBLA and PSN, according to my personal tastes (RPGs, Puzzle games, Action Adventure type things, although I'll probably play most things so long as they look fun). One thing, however, is I'm not a huge fan of war games or ultra realistic FPS games, so spouting stuff about Halo or CoD or such similar titles won't affect my decision in the slightest!

Just thought you might like to know what he was asking.
operagirl95
First Video: n

Postby operagirl95 » 13 Mar 2010, 18:47

Arius wrote:And there's a difference between giving a suggestion and attacking a system.

Yes. I'll own to to being wrong for attacking instead of just giving opinions.
Beta-guy

Postby Beta-guy » 13 Mar 2010, 18:59

Arius wrote:Beta, how much research have you done on the 360 failure rate? If it's anything more than googling those links...

I've been helping a friend repair his xbox 360 that is also suffering from RROD, but I doubt that matters to you I'm still just a fanboy right? :P
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 13 Mar 2010, 19:01

Ar wrote:Gord, do me a favour. Hush.

Oi, I'm not a kid. Well, I am, but I-wait, have you always spelled 'favour' with an 'ou'?

Ar wrote:I'm not talking about framerate drops. I'm talking about there being a better way to spend time making a game.

Dude, have you seen Uncharted 2? Cinematic. And compelling. And uh...

Ar wrote:That's a 360 screenshot by the way.

Oh, hmmm. Thought it was PS3. 'Cause you gave no context or anything. Well, some context, but anyway. FarCry 2 PC (the one I can play) still looks pretty.

Ar wrote:And there's a difference between giving a suggestion and attacking a system.

Assumedly (still pissed that's not a word in British English) it's that one can be a subset of the other. Or at least a means to the other's ends. Or maybe-
"If it's anything more than googling those links..."
...then I'll buy you a puppy?"

Arius

Postby Arius » 13 Mar 2010, 20:01

Beta-guy wrote:
Arius wrote:Beta, how much research have you done on the 360 failure rate? If it's anything more than googling those links...

I've been helping a friend repair his xbox 360 that is also suffering from RROD, but I doubt that matters to you I'm still just a fanboy right? :P

I'm sure.

My point is you came rushing in here with "OMG 360 WILL RAPE YOUR KITTENS AND USE THEIR BONES TO SCRATCH YOUR DISCS. HERE'S A BUNCH OF DISJOINTED PROOF."

Yeah, 360s had a RROD problem. It's not like PS3s have had their own version. Oh wait...

And in either case the issue is pretty much solved now.

Older 360s scratched discs if repositioned while the disc was spinning. Older PS3s had their lasers drop out of place and could not read any discs.

Both systems have and continue to have problems. Live goes down sometimes, true. PSN went down and people couldn't even play half of their single player games.

You attacked the 360 talking about how bad it is and left out everything that's happened with the PS3 in order to make the PS3 seem better. You are, in fact, being a fanboy.

And he never asked "What system is better?" he asked which would cater to his tastes based on the games he likes.

So, here Myrph:
360 - Shooters and Computer Ports (Especially RPGs)

PS3 - Adventure games and JRPGs

Puzzle games can pretty much go across the board especially with the arcade and PSN.

---

Yes, Gord. Always with the 'ou'

And the fact you couldn't tell the difference helps prove the point. Graphics on both systems are so good that the differences are truly negligible.

Return to “Video Games”