Gaming General Chat Thread

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
User avatar
RedNightmare
Posts: 1236
Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 02:56
First Video: The Job
Location: Your deepest fears

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby RedNightmare » 09 Dec 2015, 04:24

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Does it get better? Because during the exploration I feel like I am walking across a muddy field.

Really annoying when trying to do the more RPy quests where I am running around a town trying to find the right NPC to talk to. Or right McGuffin to Verb at.

It does, but after like 12 hours or so. replaying it in co-op with a friend and I'm realising how necessary my prior knowledge is. Some changes to what are considered quests and not really screwed up the structure I feel.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Image
User avatar
ANeMzero
Posts: 405
Joined: 12 Dec 2008, 03:47
First Video: 1337
Location: BC
Contact:

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby ANeMzero » 10 Dec 2015, 09:50

Bebop Man wrote:So... is the Tomb Raider multiplayer dead? Just finished single player and wanted to check multi. Servers work fine but there's just nobody on them.


It isn't completely dead, but matchmaking is a nightmarish mess. Basically you can only be matched with people who have the exact same DLC packs as you, so if you have any MP DLC at all, you'll want to turn it off.
and now; back to me.
User avatar
Bebop Man
Posts: 4465
Joined: 22 May 2013, 22:55
First Video: The Pirate Video
Location: The Black Lodge

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Bebop Man » 10 Dec 2015, 11:33

ANeMzero wrote:
Bebop Man wrote:So... is the Tomb Raider multiplayer dead? Just finished single player and wanted to check multi. Servers work fine but there's just nobody on them.


It isn't completely dead, but matchmaking is a nightmarish mess. Basically you can only be matched with people who have the exact same DLC packs as you, so if you have any MP DLC at all, you'll want to turn it off.


Ok... how do I do that (I'm on PS3)? I have the GOTY Edition.
Image
User avatar
Darkobra
Posts: 5343
Joined: 27 Jul 2007, 14:49
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis
Location: Scotland

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Darkobra » 11 Dec 2015, 13:32

Just bought every Guilty Gear game on Steam. Let's see if any can compare to the original.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
User avatar
ANeMzero
Posts: 405
Joined: 12 Dec 2008, 03:47
First Video: 1337
Location: BC
Contact:

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby ANeMzero » 11 Dec 2015, 21:09

Bebop Man wrote:Ok... how do I do that (I'm on PS3)? I have the GOTY Edition.


Oh uh.. in that case you're probably screwed.
and now; back to me.
User avatar
ZePancakes
Posts: 813
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 19:23
First Video: Bad News
Location: The Event Horizon, NSW, Aus

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby ZePancakes » 11 Dec 2015, 23:58

Anyone looking to start afresh with Diablo 3? Add me on BNet friend code 1806.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Image
User avatar
Bebop Man
Posts: 4465
Joined: 22 May 2013, 22:55
First Video: The Pirate Video
Location: The Black Lodge

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Bebop Man » 12 Dec 2015, 08:34

ANeMzero wrote:
Bebop Man wrote:Ok... how do I do that (I'm on PS3)? I have the GOTY Edition.


Oh uh.. in that case you're probably screwed.



Fiddlesticks!
Image
User avatar
Kapol
Posts: 6120
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 03:31
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Location: The ever-shifting landscape of the mind

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Kapol » 16 Dec 2015, 17:32

Bayonetta is coming to Smash. I think that's pretty neat.
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7224
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 17 Dec 2015, 14:56

Bound By Flame's button bloat annoys me.
I enjoyed my time before getting Pyromancer skills.
The boss where they unlocked pissed me off. Basically a DPS race with adds. Oh what... fun... encounter. The game just throws a lot at you all at once. It's dumb.

Ranger combat is fun. Everything else on top of it makes it annoying.
User avatar
MotorWaffle
Posts: 1000
Joined: 28 May 2009, 23:13
First Video: Phailhaus #3
Location: Kankakee, Illinois
Contact:

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby MotorWaffle » 17 Dec 2015, 19:26

Fallout 4 has reminded me that I hate, HATE giant versions of otherwise tiny insects.
I make the "otherwise tiny" distinction because my order of disturbance goes

1. Bees, beetles and Wasps. I'm fine with them. They can be big, I get it.
2. Spiders. Little creepy, but nothing I have an adverse reaction to. Moreso because spiders are creepy than because I dislike them as giant.
3. Centipedes and crickets/grasshoppers. Getting creepier now. I think it's the way they move.
4. Ants. Nope.
5. Flies. HELL NOPE.
6. Mosquitoes. SWEET BABY CTHULU NOPE. NOPE. FUCK THAT. FUCK THOSE LEGS. FUCK EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS. TAKING THE NOPE-TRAIN RIGHT OUT OF FUCK THAT VILLE.
User avatar
MotorWaffle
Posts: 1000
Joined: 28 May 2009, 23:13
First Video: Phailhaus #3
Location: Kankakee, Illinois
Contact:

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby MotorWaffle » 17 Dec 2015, 19:26

Fallout 4 has reminded me that I hate, HATE giant versions of otherwise tiny insects.
I make the "otherwise tiny" distinction because my order of disturbance goes

1. Bees, beetles and Wasps. I'm fine with them. They can be big, I get it.
2. Spiders. Little creepy, but nothing I have an adverse reaction to. Moreso because spiders are creepy than because I dislike them as giant.
3. Centipedes and crickets/grasshoppers. Getting creepier now. I think it's the way they move.
4. Ants. Nope.
5. Flies. HELL NOPE.
6. Mosquitoes. SWEET BABY CTHULU NOPE. NOPE. FUCK THAT. FUCK THOSE LEGS. FUCK EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS. TAKING THE NOPE-TRAIN RIGHT OUT OF FUCK THAT VILLE.
User avatar
My pseudonym is Ix
Posts: 3835
Joined: 31 Dec 2012, 09:28
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend
Location: --. .-. . .- - / -... .-. .. - .- .. -.
Contact:

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 18 Dec 2015, 13:35

Mass Effect 3...

I don't know if that ending was perfect, but... it was exactly what a story like that needed. And that extended cut was stupid and unnecessary.

There we go, I said it
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
User avatar
Ptangmatik
Posts: 3596
Joined: 08 Apr 2012, 09:44
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables
Location: the shire of york

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Ptangmatik » 20 Dec 2015, 06:28

Have you guys/gals seen the latest episode of extra credits? It's all about Sesame Credit, a new system the Chinese are implementing that uses gamification to get people to oppress themselves. I love games and I hate when their systems are abused in this way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHcTKWiZ8sI
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
User avatar
AdmiralMemo
Posts: 7341
Joined: 27 Nov 2011, 18:29
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Contact:

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby AdmiralMemo » 20 Dec 2015, 19:27

I said this on the EC comments, and I'll say it here. Morality aside, Sesame Credit is a very technically impressive system. It guides its users very well. It's simple for the users to understand. It generates positive engagement. It does what it does as a game very well.

And when you factor morality back into it, that's what makes it so dangerous. It does what it does so well that it's scary that it's being used for this purpose. If it was just a bunch of shovelware, it'd be bad, but it would also be laughable enough to not be a concern.

Probably the worst part? I'm curious enough about it to want to give it a try on some level, just to see what score I'd get.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Image
User avatar
Ptangmatik
Posts: 3596
Joined: 08 Apr 2012, 09:44
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables
Location: the shire of york

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Ptangmatik » 21 Dec 2015, 03:16

But are you counting your loyalty to the US or to China? Also, imagine that the system measures your loyalty to whichever political party you don't like For simplicity lets say, the system measures your loyalty to Donald Trump, and makes it harder to get a loan, Internet access and travel documents when you say anything anti-Trump on any social media including forums, messaging sertvices including Skype and text messages. Would that temper your curiosity?


I would honestly be proud of seeing how quickly I could tank (EDIT: 'tank' means 'lower'. I can't remember if this is a specifically British colloquialism) my score if I was on the system. However, I'd be too scared to do so if I lived in China where it would actually affect me, I'd certainly avoid using the system for as long as possible. In particular, I find the idea of making any such surveillance software mandatory utterly abhorrent.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7224
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 21 Dec 2015, 05:21

I wonder to what extent is interferes with human rights.

Not sure if that'll do much. Spain denying Catalonia having a referendum breaches human rights as well, and nothing seems to be done about that.
User avatar
AdmiralMemo
Posts: 7341
Joined: 27 Nov 2011, 18:29
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Contact:

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby AdmiralMemo » 21 Dec 2015, 11:41

Ptangmatik wrote:But are you counting your loyalty to the US or to China? Also, imagine that the system measures your loyalty to whichever political party you don't like For simplicity lets say, the system measures your loyalty to Donald Trump, and makes it harder to get a loan, Internet access and travel documents when you say anything anti-Trump on any social media including forums, messaging services including Skype and text messages. Would that temper your curiosity?

I would honestly be proud of seeing how quickly I could tank (EDIT: 'tank' means 'lower'. I can't remember if this is a specifically British colloquialism) my score if I was on the system. However, I'd be too scared to do so if I lived in China where it would actually affect me, I'd certainly avoid using the system for as long as possible. In particular, I find the idea of making any such surveillance software mandatory utterly abhorrent.
Of course it'd be loyalty to China, as that's what this system is. And I'd assume that I'd end up with a low score, of course, since I have very little affiliation with China. I was simply curious whether there were any things I agreed with the Chinese government about on any level, as I don't know much about it other than the fact that it's somewhat oppressive. The main reason I was curious about it was that it wouldn't affect me. If it would affect me, I wouldn't be nearly as curious. I don't find surveillance software abhorrent in itself, as long as it's opt-in. Such things should be "You give us this data, we give you this benefit." Like, if you want to use Uber, you have to sacrifice the privacy of your location for the convenience of being picked up. That sort of thing I'm OK with, as long as it's up-front. The fact that Sesame Credit is going to be mandatory for people in China in 2020 is the big problem.

And I use "tank" and I'm from the US, so I don't think it's specifically British.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Image
User avatar
Kapol
Posts: 6120
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 03:31
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Location: The ever-shifting landscape of the mind

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Kapol » 25 Dec 2015, 15:20

For those who haven't heard, avoid going on Steam and keep an eye on any relevant info you had stored on it. They've had what seems to be a cache issue that allowed users to see other users' information.
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7224
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 25 Dec 2015, 15:55

That why I cannot log in to see my wishlist?
User avatar
Kapol
Posts: 6120
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 03:31
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Location: The ever-shifting landscape of the mind

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Kapol » 25 Dec 2015, 15:58

It might be. I know they took the store down, but I don't know if that'd affect your wishlist. From my understanding, community stuff was left up, and I think wishlist is on there. But Steam seems to be back up without issue. Personally, I'm going to avoid it for a little bit.
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7224
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 26 Dec 2015, 08:08

Wondering if the Malakhim from Sacred 3 is the first example of a male character in a game that gets progressively more undressed as he grows in power.
It's a trope that seems to be only applied onto women sometimes. Is this the only time it happens with a male character?
He looks fine.
Last edited by Merrymaker_Mortalis on 29 Dec 2015, 04:57, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Kapol
Posts: 6120
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 03:31
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Location: The ever-shifting landscape of the mind

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Kapol » 28 Dec 2015, 14:00

I feel like this year's Steam sale has just been kind of... mediocre. The deals seem about average. Most are barely better than a midweek madness sale. The only 'events' going on are the comic (which is... fine?) and the stupid trading cards. And the way to get the free cards is to basically look at 3 minutes of ads per card.

Overall, I just feel underwhelmed. The Steam sale just seems to get less interesting every year. And that's before the huge problem they created through a mistake. One which they likely will never acknowledge again.
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7224
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 29 Dec 2015, 04:56

The problem with the sale is that I sit for the 75% discount because of the times I got burnt buying something 50% off for it to go to 75% off in a few days time.

Only bought Defence Grid 2 this time. Would buy the final fantasies if they were more reduced.

They're cheap as it is, but it'd be foolish to not hold out for a discount that's greater.
User avatar
Kapol
Posts: 6120
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 03:31
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Location: The ever-shifting landscape of the mind

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Kapol » 29 Dec 2015, 05:24

That's one thing about this year. There doesn't seem to be any daily deals. Prices don't seem to change based on the day anymore. It's only the games that are showcased that do. And even if that wasn't the case, there's the refund option now if that happens.

Personally, I kind of liked the daily deals. It made them feel a bit more special to me. But more than anything, I just miss the activities they would do more than anything. Stuff like the auctions or the things they'd do to give stuff away. This year is just... here's a bunch of sales.

As for the sales themselves, I think I'm just at a point where I know I shouldn't buy anything I don't want to play right away. I've started buying games from Steam sales as inventory items to play when I want to. I still have games from last year waiting to be played. Anything that does interest me either has a fairly low sale (Undertale) or are still pretty expensive (GTA5). It makes it hard for me to justify spending that much on them when I already have a considerable backlog.
User avatar
Merrymaker_Mortalis
Posts: 7224
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 19:19
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist
Location: Wales

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 29 Dec 2015, 06:50

Same. Still need to play and finish Ass Creed 1, 2 and Brohood.

Return to “Video Games”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests