First Game in MTGO

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
DannySmooth
First Video: daily drop, i guess

First Game in MTGO

Postby DannySmooth » 15 Mar 2013, 20:22

Hi everybody! I've been enjoying the MTG coverage that LRR has been doing, so I thought I would co-opt one of their ideas, the "mom draft", and give it a shot in a fan made comedy (of errors) draft. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the screen capture setup to work so no video but I thought I may submit my deck list to see what the compassionate lens of the internet would give me.

First, I used me instead of a mom, because I didn't know anything about the current Magic sets. I was an avid player back in the 90s but that hardly counts, right? I learned just enough about the MTGO interface and the basics of Gatecrash to buy into a swiss and give it a go.

Here's the deck list I used throughout the tourney, I didn't make any changes because I didn't, and still don't, know how any of the cards interact. If anyone is interested I can post all the cards I picked in the draft but I thought that would be a little tedious.

1.Dutiful thrull
2.Smite
3.Shadow alley Denizen
4.Thrull parasite
5.Killing glare
6.Aerial maneuver
7.Syndic of tithes
8.Gutter skulk (x2)
9.Executioner's swing
10.Orzhov charm
11.Basilica guards
12.Corpse Blockade
13.Slate street ruffian
14.Kingpin's pet
15.Armored transport
16.Assault griffin
17.Zarichi Tiger
18.Grisly spectacle
19.Purge the Profane
20.Horror of the dim
21.Shadow slice
22.Deathpact angel

This deck went 0-3, which I expected. First round was vs a slow Gruul deck, I nearly extorted him out but then was killed by the Skarrg Guildmage's abilities. Second round I played a Dimir deck that destroyed my library with paranoid delusions on balustrade spies and a mind grind to cap it off. In the last round, I played a blue green with splash of red multicolored deck where I won my first game, but this took so much of my time managing extort and intimidate triggered abilities that the clock killed me in the second game.

Anyway, it was a laugh, even though I'm sure I annoyed the crap out of my opponents with my bad play and awkward stops all over the place. The failing that I noticed was if I got my turn 1, 2, and 3 cards out on time, there were too many extort triggers and not enough land.

I'm looking forward to actually learning the game again and getting better at using the MTGO interface.

Cheers!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Re: First Game in MTGO

Postby Kapol » 15 Mar 2013, 20:28

That actually does seem like a pretty good Orzhov deck. Really good for your first time in a while, I think. It looks like watching those drafts did some good. ;)

One thing that seems out of place is the Armored Transport. That's more for Boros who want to be swinging in every turn. And, depending on your pool, you might have been able to get something better than Horror of the dim in there. But it's still a good deck. Removal, early game stuff, stallers for extort, and finishers in Shadow Slice and Deathpact.
DSmaster21
First Video: Friday Nights-Untap
Location: You will hear on the news one day. Zombies! Wait no disregard that random word.

Postby DSmaster21 » 15 Mar 2013, 21:00

Trust me you did pretty good. When you get 16 dollars a month allowance playing a game that costs 14 dollars (is it? (gave up after first try and just play paper drafts if I can find any packs and people to play)) is kinda out of the question. When I played I got absolutely slaughtered. I managed to deal one damage to one opponent. It might have just been bad luck but the matches were simply over the top. I think that everyone who ever wrote for daily mtg drafting played me.
Self wrote: I lost my humanity back in 2013 BC ahhhh the good old days.

Ptangmatik wrote: We drew things on your face. Oh, and you're now legally called Clivendorf von Whiffenpoofle. Congratulations.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 16 Mar 2013, 09:39

If you're looking for a less expensive option for playing limited in MTGO you could do the Phantom Sealed events. they're only four dollars to enter, though you don't keep any of the cards and miss out on the drafting, but Sealed is its own kind of fun too.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
DannySmooth
First Video: daily drop, i guess

Postby DannySmooth » 20 Mar 2013, 18:40

Kapol - Thanks! I haven't play since the "Ice Age" cards came out (Snow covered lands WTF?!). Upon further inspection, I had inadvertently drafted some solid Boros cards in Firemane avenger and skyknight legionnaire. Unfortunately, to maintain the "purity" of the experiment, I avoided all card spoilers and the LRR gatecrash stuff. So I really had no idea what was going on with those things. Yeah, the armored transport really didn't work for me but it got in for some damage here and there. My other orzhov playables were spells like a second purge the profane and executioners swing, a righteous charge, another aerial maneuver. so the Horror had to stay. The MTGO protips say that you should have 15 creatures in your deck, so I put that many in. Alot of deck tech guys say that deathpact angel is great, but am I wrong, it returns itself to your hand to avoid death?

DSmaster21 - thanks! this game is a little pricey but you only put in what you can afford. Unlike something that grinds away your cash with monthly payments. Like utilitarian said, the phantom drafts are cheap 4$ for 3 rounds, or you can play friendly constructed games for free i think

Not to toot my own horn but I think I had some decent cards, and someone with talent could have made good with the deck. I just made a mess of it.
DSmaster21
First Video: Friday Nights-Untap
Location: You will hear on the news one day. Zombies! Wait no disregard that random word.

Postby DSmaster21 » 22 Mar 2013, 07:24

I just get a bit stressed about MTGO because I only get to play paper about once a month (I used to play every week or more often before we moved last summer) (unless my friends feel like showing off that they have jobs and I don't) So to solve this problem I joined MTGO. My first problem was that when I first joined I didn't understand how valuable packs are and someone convinced me to give him one for a single ticket. My second is that I had amassed a huge (to me) collection in paper so now I have to go and rebuy what I already own on a very limited income. I should solve my problems this summer because the city code requires that you reside in town for 1 year before you can work anywhere.
Self wrote: I lost my humanity back in 2013 BC ahhhh the good old days.

Ptangmatik wrote: We drew things on your face. Oh, and you're now legally called Clivendorf von Whiffenpoofle. Congratulations.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”