Do I just not get Strive?

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Elah
First Video: Three PS3s

Do I just not get Strive?

Postby Elah » 14 Jun 2014, 09:41

Strive seems really, really weak to me because it seems like all the strive costs are terribly expensive. Like Nature's Panoply, for instance. If you're going to cast it and strive once, then you're basically casting a more expensive Common Bond that you can't apply twice to the same creature. And once you get beyond two or three targets it just starts getting so expensive that it'd be more worth it (and possibly cheaper) to put in a bomb in your deck instead of have the opportunity to give four different creatures +1/+1 counters or some kind of end-of-turn ability.

Am I missing or underestimating something here?
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Re: Do I just not get Strive?

Postby Volafortis » 14 Jun 2014, 09:50

Most of them aren't very impressive in constructed, but strive is fantastic in Theros limited. it enables heroic wonderfully, and allows for very versatile combat tricks. Just play against a GW Heroic deck in limited that swings with five mana open. You'll see why strive is good.

As far as in constructed, it's basically a bad multikicker.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 14 Jun 2014, 09:51

Nature's Panoply is perhaps not the best example. The best Strive cards are already good on their own; getting additional targets is upside, making the cost less of a concern.

Take Hour of Need. For 2U you get to upgrade one of your dudes into a 4/4 flier at instant speed. You'd play that card in a heartbeat, right? But if you strive for a total cost of 3UU, you can get TWO big fliers at instant speed. Something like that can swing the game in your favor out of nowhere.

Or, let's look at something a wee bit more expensive. Silence of the Believers. 2BB, exile a creature. Period, full stop, end of sentence. Sick, right? But if you're able to get up to 4BBB, you get to kill TWO things forever, along with every enchantment attached to them.

Strive is best as upside on a card that's already good.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 14 Jun 2014, 10:48

Launch the Fleet is worthy of awe in WU heroic.
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 15 Jun 2014, 04:58

I adore the counter-doubling one, but I'm crazy.

Also Battlefield Thaumaturge makes some strive cards cost virtually nothing.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
NamelessSteve
First Video: The Job

Postby NamelessSteve » 15 Jun 2014, 05:26

I busted face in a draft with a RB deck, Twinflame on a Spawn of Thraxes is sickening and Blinding Flare is excellent with some heroic triggers - "alright, I pay four, your two flyers can't block and my War-Wing Sirens get a +1/+1 counter each, swing for lethal." It isn't as cost efficient as, say, the cycle of two-target spells from Theros original, but when the game drags on they can be major blowouts. I have to agree that most of them are far better in limited, but several are going to become EDH staples I think. Silence the Believers is premium removal, Launch the Fleet is bonkers in token decks, Hour of Need is powerful and versatile.
How you know it's a good party:
the Rakdos have shown up.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 15 Jun 2014, 07:51

Some of the strive spells are better than others, its kind of like Hexproof or trample.

Sometimes its amazing, sometimes its just on the card and never comes into play.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 15 Jun 2014, 09:02

There's a reason that Setessen Tactics is one of the strive cards seeing the most talk for standard, as its strive is the most reasonable.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Del
First Video: Canadaman

Postby Del » 15 Jun 2014, 12:11

Twinflame is a card that I expected would see constructed play (in a rdw or monsters), but has yet to do so. I am still holding out hope it will, and run a singleton in my rw deck at the moment.
I walk the planes down in Ravnicaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 15 Jun 2014, 18:44

Del wrote:Twinflame is a card that I expected would see constructed play (in a rdw or monsters), but has yet to do so. I am still holding out hope it will, and run a singleton in my rw deck at the moment.

There's an infinite combo with twinflame + two cards in Standard right now but it doesn't fit into a deck very well as its pretty clunky
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 15 Jun 2014, 19:12

What's the combo? (I'm a sucker for a good/bad combo)
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 15 Jun 2014, 19:21

Mnemonic Wall + Axebane Guardian, both targeted by Twinflame, for infinite mana.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 15 Jun 2014, 19:25

You need axebane guardian, mnemonic wall, and twinflame.

Make RR with the guardian, tap 3, strive to copy the above two spells.

Mnemonic wall enters, get back twinflame. Tap the new axebane for RRRR, tap 1 from land, strive again. Now you start netting mana with each strive. Soon you can strive an extra creature.

Now you can either infinitely either cast any spell from your hand or graveyard (getting it back with copied walls) or make infinite hasty copies of some other creature you have that can attack.

One nice thing is you don't actually need red mana in the deck since you only need to cast twinflame on e you have the axebane on the board, which makes the red

-edit- the good thing is it's not just infinite mana but also infinite graveyard spell recursive and infinite hasty creatures
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 16 Jun 2014, 06:47

Plus if you have a creature down that has heroic +1/+1's you get infinite +1/+1's
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 16 Jun 2014, 07:08

My preferred method was to have Dimir charm in the deck and then just mill out my opponent. I found it worked pretty well to help stall to combo time, killing aggro creatures, filtering my draws to find combo pieces, and countering thoughtsieze to protect my hand.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 16 Jun 2014, 07:28

Utilitarian wrote:You need axebane guardian, mnemonic wall, and twinflame.

Make RR with the guardian, tap 3, strive to copy the above two spells.

Mnemonic wall enters, get back twinflame. Tap the new axebane for RRRR, tap 1 from land, strive again. Now you start netting mana with each strive. Soon you can strive an extra creature.

Now you can either infinitely either cast any spell from your hand or graveyard (getting it back with copied walls) or make infinite hasty copies of some other creature you have that can attack.

One nice thing is you don't actually need red mana in the deck since you only need to cast twinflame on e you have the axebane on the board, which makes the red

-edit- the good thing is it's not just infinite mana but also infinite graveyard spell recursive and infinite hasty creatures

...I am so, so tempted to break my thus far lifetime rule about buying singles just to make that deck happen. Four of each, every other card would be either land or hunting for those three or some aggro creatures. It would be exquisite. I would annoy my playgroup so damn hard
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 18 Jun 2014, 01:25

OK, screw it- I am going to build this deck. However, this'll be the first time I've constructed a deck from scratch, so right now I'm not exactly sure how I'd go about doing it. This is what my decklist currently looks like (cards marked with a * denote 'I had this lying about and wanted to play with it', which is my more typical justification for deck construction).

Creatures:
1x Golden Hind*
1x Wood Sage*
4x Axebane Guardian
2x Howling Wolf* (going to a Conspiracy draft on Friday hoping to pick up a couple more)
1x Fleetfeather Cockatrice*
1x Kruphix, God of Horizons*
4x Mnemonic Wall
1x Hydra Omnivore*

Sorceries:
3x Lay of the Land
2x Commune with the Gods*
4x Twinflame
3x Divination
3x Ghastly Discovery
1x Seek the Horizon*

...yeah, I know it's a mess. There aren't even enough cards there to make a deck as yet. Trouble is, because I'm only trying to get a combo to work I'm essentially working along the lines of 'draw cards until I find what I'm looking for', since I haven't been able to find any 'go hunting for creatures/sorceries' cards that aren't white. So... advice anyone?
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 18 Jun 2014, 03:24

commune with the gods does that, doesn't it? Although you're milling yourself in the process.

Speaking of, there does seem to be a pretty decent BG re-animator deck in Theros block
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 18 Jun 2014, 03:41

Commune with the Gods does that for creatures & Enchantments, but does nothing for getting out sorceries, which I want too. I've got no issue with milling sorceries as re-animating them is this deck's trick, but a little something to re-animate creatures & find sorceries would be rather helpful.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 18 Jun 2014, 04:55

Well commune pitches them to the bin and Mnemonic Wall gets them back. You could also get Reviving Melody to get your walls and guardians back. its Green black but you could do Nyx Weaver to dig for what you need then have Elixir of Immortality as back up so you dont mill out.

[–]Graham_LRR
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 18 Jun 2014, 05:06

I have all three of those... Reviving Melody is definitely going in. Reluctant to go even further outside colours with Nyx Weaver. Would it be worth then investing in a couple more Communes and 3 more Reviving Melodies?
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 18 Jun 2014, 05:55

Heh... this is what I ended up brewing when I read that Twinflame combo.

I doubt it's going to be Modern viable, but I think it could be fun. Gifts Ungiven proves to be a very efficient tutor in UG decks. Also, dipping into Modern gives you a Splinter Twin-esque wincon of infinite hasty Eternal Witnesses, since they can also become a Twinflame target and then buy back Twinflame.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 18 Jun 2014, 09:57

See, that's the kind of thing I was looking for- I haven't heard of most of those cards and couldn't find them by looking online. I personally wouldn't construct quite that deck, but it'll probably end up looking vaguely similar...
Root potato
First Video: Friday nights

Postby Root potato » 08 Jul 2014, 09:13

Might as well go all defenders and kill them in the funniest way, toss in door keeper and mill equal to your infinite defenders! Lol

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”