The House of Stark

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Re: The House of Stark

Postby plummeting_sloth » 07 Mar 2014, 21:07

Dominic Appleguard wrote:I hope that the playable version of Ada has a "fuck off" button that lets her grapple away whenever she wants.

Having now seen the campaign on the way through, oh, OH but were this the case
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Boofinka
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby Boofinka » 08 Mar 2014, 10:27

+999 for Vanquish. It's pretty awesome.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 08 Mar 2014, 10:45

Oh Yes, Vanquish. So much Vanquish! From what I've played there is more then enough plot to make fun of and the gameplay is super fun!
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Sakurazaki
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby Sakurazaki » 08 Mar 2014, 13:01

When the game's plot plays the "insane space Russians microwave San Francisco from orbit" card in the opening cutscene, then you know it's ripe for comedy.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 08 Mar 2014, 17:32

Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 09 Mar 2014, 17:33

I just realized that all of Resident Evil 6 was just prolonged love stories and their endings. Leon and Helena, with Leon being too infatuated with someone else for the relationship to blossom. Jake and Sherry, who we can assume will end up together since it was hinted at as subtly as a hammer to the face. Piers and Chris, where one of them die at the end. And Ada and her ego, who live together happily-ever-after.

Joking aside, I'm interested in seeing what is going to come next. I personally have had enough RE for now. But it would be fine to continue since it's a good game. And I'd like to see... Alex I think was mentioned(?) on stream for it too.
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 10 Mar 2014, 03:21

Kapol wrote:I just realized that all of Resident Evil 6 was just prolonged love stories and their endings. Leon and Helena, with Leon being too infatuated with someone else for the relationship to blossom. Jake and Sherry, who we can assume will end up together since it was hinted at as subtly as a hammer to the face. Piers and Chris, where one of them die at the end. And Ada and her ego, who live together happily-ever-after.

Just watched the ending of Jake's campaign. I kinda liked Jake and Sherry's dynamic throughout. But then all of a sudden, literally in the last minute before the credits I am to believe they have some romantic affection towards each other (also, that credit song).

NO! NO GAME!! You do not make up a romantic interest at the end just because they are boy and girl! There was no indication of it anywhere in the rest of the game. Heck, even shooting Metalman together was kind of a nice touch on how they ended up working so closely together. But that does not equal a romance.

Sorry for that rant. I just hate it when stories get ruined that abruptly (granted the rest of the story was a total mess as well)

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 10 Mar 2014, 17:05

Honestly, I think there was kind of a romantic vibe throughout a lot of the game for the two of them being together. I just think that it's easy to miss those moments unless you're paying a decent amount of attention to the game. Like the moment in the cabin where they basically almost kiss before being attacked.

I agree that the idea of them having to get together is a bad thing in general. But I think it worked for the two characters myself.

...You know what I just realized? I'm actually kind of sad there was no interaction with Ashley in this game. Like, she was a huge part of RE4, and I thought she was a good character. Being able to get her reaction that her father is dead and that Leon 'technically' killed him would have been an interesting character moment AND a good callback to... well, the best game in the series in my opinion.
ritchards
First Video: The Job (first video on The Escapist)

Postby ritchards » 14 Mar 2014, 10:35

For those playing along, Alan Wake and American Nightmare (and more) are on sale on GOG.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 15 Mar 2014, 00:33

Kapol wrote:...You know what I just realized? I'm actually kind of sad there was no interaction with Ashley in this game. Like, she was a huge part of RE4, and I thought she was a good character. Being able to get her reaction that her father is dead and that Leon 'technically' killed him would have been an interesting character moment AND a good callback to... well, the best game in the series in my opinion.
RIGHT!?
What the hell? Hunnigan gets to come back, but not Ashley… after Leon kills her dad… sigh.
Sakurazaki

Postby Sakurazaki » 16 Mar 2014, 15:27

Graham wrote:
Kapol wrote:...You know what I just realized? I'm actually kind of sad there was no interaction with Ashley in this game. Like, she was a huge part of RE4, and I thought she was a good character. Being able to get her reaction that her father is dead and that Leon 'technically' killed him would have been an interesting character moment AND a good callback to... well, the best game in the series in my opinion.
RIGHT!?
What the hell? Hunnigan gets to come back, but not Ashley… after Leon kills her dad… sigh.

I hate to say it, but expecting "good" and "interesting" ideas from the people responsible for Resident Evil 6 is probably too much to ask. It's a sad state of affairs when Operation: Raccoon City isn't the worst Resident Evil game in recent memory :(

Graham wrote:Oh... we know.

Unskippable was the reason I picked up Vanquish, so I'm well aware :wink:
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 16 Mar 2014, 15:57

Before-post edit: So apparently, from what I've read, the reason Ashley is never brought up is because it's a different president. I believe this president is president Benford, while the other president was named Graham (as that's Ashley's last name). I've seen people mention that RE4 was set in 2004 while RE6 is set in 2013. In which case, it's incredibly easy to miss, and still feels like they missed opportunities to have it relate more to the player. But it makes more sense after finding that out.
Last edited by Kapol on 19 Mar 2014, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
d3fr0st5
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby d3fr0st5 » 17 Mar 2014, 15:26

Well for Maya and Graham... octodad would be awesome
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 18 Mar 2014, 03:54

Just catching up on my backlog, and I'm just at the start of Jakes campaign. For what it's worth Graham, I appreciate the wrestling references.
Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Postby Jonci » 21 Mar 2014, 08:42

Really enjoyed getting to see Alan Wake: American Nightmare. Never had time for it, so it was good to get to see the story.

Hoping you stick with the Dark Souls plan, even if just for a stream or two. I don't think I've seen a Graham tilt.
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 21 Mar 2014, 09:54

Jonci wrote:Hoping you stick with the Dark Souls plan, even if just for a stream or two. I don't think I've seen a Graham tilt.

I didn't watch the stream last night, did he say that it was his next game? If so, I'm very much looking forward to it. Not to see Graham frustrated, though. I love the game, and watching the learning curve in action is endlessly fascinating to me.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Jonci

Postby Jonci » 21 Mar 2014, 10:28

Jamfalcon wrote:
Jonci wrote:Hoping you stick with the Dark Souls plan, even if just for a stream or two. I don't think I've seen a Graham tilt.

I didn't watch the stream last night, did he say that it was his next game? If so, I'm very much looking forward to it. Not to see Graham frustrated, though. I love the game, and watching the learning curve in action is endlessly fascinating to me.

He has been mentioning in various streams that he is considering Dark Souls due to Yahtzee's recent review of it.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 21 Mar 2014, 10:34

Jonci wrote:
Jamfalcon wrote:

He has been mentioning in various streams that he is considering Dark Souls due to Yahtzee's recent review of it.

Ah, okay. I knew he'd been talking about it, but I was hoping that he'd specifically said it would be next. :)
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 21 Mar 2014, 10:49

Just played a bit for my self again.

Graham, 1 big tip for Dark Souls: You see frogs with giant eyes? Be very careful for the fog they breath. If it's effects take hold (a curse) your HP gets cut in half until you cure it (death does not solve this!). The frogs themselves are pushovers luckily. :)

Only thing in the game that I would consider unfairly harsh.

jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 21 Mar 2014, 11:17

As a relative Dark Souls newb I have three major tips that the game will not tell you.

1) Be a melee class for your first run. Magic-based classes can be very good and ultimately every character ends up doing some of everything, but starting out as a caster is exceptionally difficult.

2) Light armor is your friend. The game doesn't ever say this, but your equip weight is more nuanced than just "over the limit ENCUMBERED" like you would expect from the way they display it. The heavier you are the slower you move, even well below your stated maximum equip weight. This is especially relevant for your dodge roll move. Heavy armor will mitigate a little more damage, but every enemy in the game puts out so much hurt that taking a little less usually isn't enough to matter. Better to avoid getting hit at all.

3) Don't bother hoarding souls. If you have the opportunity to use your souls on something that will make you better in any way, leveling up at a bonfire, buying or upgrading a weapon, whatever, just do it. You're going to die a lot, sooner or later you'll die without recovering your soul first and lose whatever you had. Better to put them to use as quickly as you can (and you'll still probably lose a fair chunk every once in a while just because that's the nature of the beast). EDIT: Note that this does not apply to the soul ITEMS you pick up, which can be converted into "souls" the currency. You keep your items when you die, so I only ever use my soul items if I'm standing at a bonfire or a blacksmith and otherwise they are safely in my inventory where nothing can take them from me preciousssssss.

I'm really looking forward to this and I really hope it doesn't attract unpleasantness to the chat. I think you'll enjoy it a lot.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 22 Mar 2014, 02:20

MGS: Ground Zeroes is next.

Then… maybe DS. We'll see.
Jonci

Postby Jonci » 23 Mar 2014, 15:25

From some of the articles going around, Ground Zeroes may be over before your stream is.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 23 Mar 2014, 17:37

Snap.
Sakurazaki

Postby Sakurazaki » 26 Mar 2014, 20:14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zWtW4NmWE4

Best parody of the "Grounds Zeros can be beaten in X minutes" shitstorm I've seen so far.
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 27 Mar 2014, 16:43

So, I don't know if House of Stark is necessarily the stream to play this on, but I would love to see WWE 2K14 (or really any WWE game, I'm not that picky). And since Graham is a big wrestling fan, he just seems like the right person to play it.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”