Installation Anxiety 2010

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Re: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby Nevrmore » 26 May 2010, 10:41

I enjoyed it. I thought the acting was better all-around (specifically, I thought Graham's new delivery of the line "Okay, my food prep habits? Not what's relevant right now." was much better). Also - and this is just an aesthetics thing - but I think that the white walls of the house and overall brightness of the video worked better than the wood paneling of the other video. It helped me get into a mindset that was better suited for one of the "Paul's a crazy scientist" videos.

Also I'd only watched the first Installation Anxiety once during my preliminary archive trawl when I first came to the site, so it might as well have been a new video anyway.
thadivilhimsewf
First Video: intsallation anxiety

Postby thadivilhimsewf » 26 May 2010, 11:17

I just happened to watch one of Monty Python's revisits of the parrot sketch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubVBK3cKanw

Might be an example of how to revisit a classic without getting fan flak--they changed a lot, and i think shortened it, too. Like musicians tweaking songs they find themselves playing all the time.

Still, I'm not annoyed by IA 2010. I was mildly disappointed not to get new jokes on a Monday, but the LRR crowd produces so much I knew I'd only have to wait a few days for fresh stuff. I'm surprised that people are so bothered.
I have installed Linux on human communication. Glitches may occur until the wrapper for the proprietary empathy driver exits beta.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 26 May 2010, 11:29

I don't think it's "people are so bothered" and more "so many people are bothered" which is slightly different. Very little vehmence or zeal in the critisisms, and people generally did like it, they just didn't think it was as good as the original.
Steamcastle
First Video: commodoreHUSTLE 11 - Showdown

Postby Steamcastle » 26 May 2010, 15:29

@operagirl95
I only meant to say something like IA was a good video and IA 2010 is good video, and in the end we all like lrr.
and the dung thing is the lrrcast fault for saying it some many time and to quote Kierkegaard "gør det og du vil fortryde det, gør det ikke og du vil fortryde det, gør det eller gør det ikke du vil fortryde det" and that is way I put it in there,
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 26 May 2010, 15:54

Master Gunner wrote:
Matt wrote:@operagirl

No, we made this for w00tstock, and posted it because we thought everyone would enjoy it. For those who hadn't seen it before, we thought it would be a great way to introduce one of our favorite sketches. For our core community, we thought you would enjoy seeing a classic video remade, because in the past the core community has indicated to us that they would like to see classic videos remade. We didn't expect pitchforks and torches.

To be clear, my posts and the posts of many others are simply trying to explain why we didn't enjoy it like you thought we might, how this doesn't fit what we meant when we said we'd enjoy remakes, and detailing what we'd like to see in any future remakes you might do, which we'd very much enjoy.

This, very much this. I don't think anyone here who didn't like IA2010 (as much as the first) are saying "Don't remake videos evaarrrr!!!", just "Oh.. you remade this one? Why? It was perfect the way it was".

TBH, there seems to be a lot of vitriol being spouted from both sides here (crew included) albeit probably not intentionally because it's the internet and you can't really tell the tone of voice people mean to express, and I wish it'd stop.

Crew: older LRR forum members are just disappointed that IA was remade (though many of us certainly understand the reason you did remake it and post it as an update), as we saw no reason for it to be remade. Most of us don't think you've done anything wrong. Be happy, you have just crossed that threshold of celebrity where you may begin alienating your older fans because you have to cater slghtly to a newer fanbase: that's a milestone to celebrate... soon you'll be able to swim in money like Scrooge McDuck!

Fans that seem angry: Chillout; this is just another video update that you didn't like. You're not required to like them all. Nor are they demanding you like it. Repeating the same arguments over and over will only serve to irriate everyone on this thread more.

Fans that seem to really like it: Please remember that neither you, nor the other fans are "right" about whether this is better or not than the original. But, we are all really happy you enjoyed a sketch that many of us love (it's one of my favorites too).

To the rest of us: Let's go get some cookies.

Also, in response to Graham's question: That's a good question, akshully. I have no idea how I'd react until it was done.
...You know what I think would be interesting, besides being recast, take some sketches and rewrite them for specific people - how would IA have played out if, instead of Paul installing Linux on everything, it was Jer, or James, or Kathleen? They all play different types of roles, and Paul's mad scientist wouldn't play right if it was Tally reading the lines.

Well, I'm done not making sense anymore.
Jillers Away! Woooosh!
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
operagirl95
First Video: n

Postby operagirl95 » 26 May 2010, 16:53

Steamcastle wrote:@operagirl95
I only meant to say something like IA was a good video and IA 2010 is good video, and in the end we all like lrr.

And since most people here don't read Danish:
"make it and you'll regret it, do not do it and you'll regret it, do or do not you will regret it "
Steamcastle
First Video: commodoreHUSTLE 11 - Showdown

Postby Steamcastle » 26 May 2010, 20:21

@operagirl95
thanks, I no good at translating eighteen hundred Danish philosophers at that time of the night.
I couldn't fin that exact quote but here is the closest I could find
"I see it all perfectly; there are two possible situations - one can either do this or that. My honest opinion and my friendly advice is this: do it or do not do it - you will regret both." Søren Kierkegaard
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 26 May 2010, 21:31

I know I'm weighing in late here, but I really enjoyed the remake. Better than the original. Better film quality, better editing, better delivery, etc. But, I'll still enjoy the original for nostalgic reasons.
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Jillers

Postby Jillers » 26 May 2010, 21:41

Steamcastle wrote:@operagirl95
thanks, I no good at translating eighteen hundred Danish philosophers at that time of the night.
I couldn't fin that exact quote but here is the closest I could find
"I see it all perfectly; there are two possible situations - one can either do this or that. My honest opinion and my friendly advice is this: do it or do not do it - you will regret both." Søren Kierkegaard

Eighteen hundred Danish philosophers? In a row?

Edited because I should stop writing things when I'm over-tired.
Last edited by Jillers on 27 May 2010, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
Team Cybershark

~End Transmission~
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 27 May 2010, 01:01

Danish philosophers, not Dutch philosophers.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 27 May 2010, 05:02

I was finally able to watch the two back-to-back last night, and now have more revised/specific opinions. The production quality was definitely better this time around (obviously), and while the overall acting was arguably better here, I found the funniest lines were delivered better in the original (more energy, as others have said). The problem is diminishing returns. While yes, you are better actors now than in 2007, you were still good actors in '07, so the actual improvement is minimal compared to, say '07 and '04 (when you were still figuring out what the hell you were doing). It also doesn't help that (imo) IA was one of the best videos of the time already, which further reduces the maximum potential improvement.

So again we come back to the conclusion that has being stated before: Don't remake your best, you just won't get much improvement out of them. Instead, remake your worst to turn them into your best, because there is so much room for improvement there.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 27 May 2010, 08:53

Remember, they remade Installation Anxiety so it would look better for the audience at Wootstock. That's pretty much it.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 27 May 2010, 11:27

Which is why everything I've said has being in the context of "If you remake anything again (which I hope you do), this is what should be done differently than your first remake."
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
frozen_flame
First Video: Unskippable: Grandia III

Postby frozen_flame » 28 May 2010, 18:56

Remake or no, the original is one of the best sketches I've seen around and it was nice to see it remade. The essence of what made it funny was still there for me.

Thank you for putting a smile to the day.
"The French looked at the dining table, and saw an opportunity to have dinner. We looked at the dining table, and saw an opportunity to play Wiff-Waff." - Boris Johnson on Ping-Pong
EnglishMQ
First Video: The one where Paul was a crazy scientist

Postby EnglishMQ » 31 May 2010, 08:27

I didn't even know it was a remake, but oh well, doesn't change the fact it was funny.

I suppose this can always lead to my hope that one day you'll do a remake of LoadingReadyRumble, a video I loved but think could be even better with a dose of even more continuity jokes.
jacosawilliam
First Video: gsfsewdf

Postby jacosawilliam » 18 Jun 2010, 02:00

Is it easy to install seat belts in FF and Britax is frozen? Can anyone give me an idea or better yet, the installation path / belt / nudity? How easy is estimated RF and RF Radian necessary, Britax or voluntary? Could someone explain the main wings. I see, to some extent, what? "I know this is a manual, but I know when to buy, and I always knew what I bought today and I am shocked. I think that hatred does not know the details of this place, drivng me crazy!
Jillers

Postby Jillers » 18 Jun 2010, 13:59

jacosawilliam wrote:Is it easy to install seat belts in FF...

No Final Fantasy, to my knowledge, has ever needed a seat belt installed in it... I assume it's a minigame, and you're not hitting x fast enough, or at the right interval.
Team Cybershark

~End Transmission~
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 18 Jun 2010, 15:12

First Video: gsfsewdf

Well that system didn't last like I had hoped.

And I need a seatbelt on my chocobo.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Jillers

Postby Jillers » 18 Jun 2010, 16:34

I was thinking, maaybe in FFVI on the train, and in the minecart... and probably in airships...

Come to think of it, maybe the FF series needs MORE seatbelts.
Team Cybershark

~End Transmission~
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 18 Jun 2010, 19:16

I'm on the arse of a golden chocobo, flying above sharp mountain tops and if he farts the wrong way, I'm dead! Fuck the perfectly safe ghost train! Give me my chocobelt!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 18 Jun 2010, 22:59

Leaving all chocobo behind me, I sailed on the misty water fog of destinations, hastening all latter skylines abroad of them.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Exile
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Exile » 25 Apr 2012, 10:43

Wait Paul are you installing Linux on my steam? THE MADNESS, PAUL HAS TO BE STOPPED! Now I'm hungry for perogies for some reason... To the Microwave!
Logrus
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby Logrus » 14 Sep 2012, 17:08

Hi.

FYI, "pierogi" is already a plural form. In polish, of course.

When we cook pierogi in Poland, we boil them. A lot of people like to fry them after that, but I personally don't. Of course I'm not talking about preparing frozen pierogi, but cooking them from scratch.

Maciej "Logrus" Goliński

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”