Feminism general thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
J_S_Bach
First Video: I honestly can't remember.

Re: Feminism general thread

Postby J_S_Bach » 12 Jul 2014, 20:43

Dominic Appleguard wrote:An eighteenth century etymology of the term doesn't, strictly speaking, disprove Matt's claim that the term is being misused by MRAs.

That's correct. Some would argue that there are people misusing the term of feminism, such as the bat-shit extremists. Not all feminists believe women shouldn't wear make-up or that men should be punished for their role in patriarchy, some do. Not all egalitarians are MRAs, but some are.

The point I was trying to make was that not all egalitarians believe in the issues Matt has with them, the same way that not all feminists believe in the issues that make others hesitant the accept their ideas. But I was getting the impression Matt was thinking of egalitarians as one group with only one point of view.
Danielle Pepin

Postby Danielle Pepin » 12 Jul 2014, 20:44

viscomica wrote:
Metcarfre wrote:Bullshit. One of the strongest themes in the modern high fashion industry, for both women and men, is the playing with and destruction of gender norms.

Furthermore, the castigation of women who enjoy wearing high heels or makeup or what have you for any number of reasons is far more destructive to the purposes of feminism than someone simply wearing a common article of clothing.

Also, I know this is a nerd site and everyone wants to dress like a slob, but I hate seeing one of favorite things insulted in such a way.

Make allies, not enemies.

It's not about telling women not to wear heels.
It's about not being illogical! If a woman is wearing heels and she chose to wear them then it's pretty fucking dumb to then proceed to "complain" about how much they hurt and suck and nobody will give me special treatment, etc! Well boohoo, sister, you chose to wear high heels because you wanted to, don't blame everyone else for your own fashion choices.

Exactly the idea I had when I was making the comment about high fashion. I'm not saying ALL fashion. I'm pointing toward the portion of it that makes women and often even men into objects that starve themselves to gain any kind of attention or selling the notion that if you fall outside that ideal that you somehow are unworthy. While sex sells sexism shouldn't.

Oh and I do like to wear heals some of the time...but not expecting to be given special treatment because I did. (They aren't the super tall ones and I opt for flats most of the time preferring to maintain my natural standing posture.)
Image Image
Click here, receive tweet: http://twitter.com/DaniellePepinAI
Danielle Pepin

Postby Danielle Pepin » 12 Jul 2014, 21:18

I haven't seen the word suffrage yet. It's good to keep a mind on why feminism was started in the first place. We've come a long way but still more to go. I'm thankful what some have done years ago just to enable me to vote and be considered a person.

http://womenshistory.answers.com/issues/the-canadian-persons-case-are-women-people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women's_suffrage
Image Image
Click here, receive tweet: http://twitter.com/DaniellePepinAI
Baconus
First Video: Eyewitness Accounts

Postby Baconus » 12 Jul 2014, 21:43

Person A says they are an egalitarian. They hate MRAs and people who derail the message of equality they belive in.

Person B is a feminist. They hate extreme views that profess female superiority that they call "not feminism"

Why is person A not allowed to say the extremists don't speak for them, but person B is? If Person A says they are an egalitarian, but MRA nonsense is not what they believe, they immediately get bullshit called upon them

Person B gets to say extremists aren't feminists and expects everyone to accept that and not mention extremists anymore. Either the whole group, everyone caling themsleves a member, mnust be considered. Or each person has to be considered on their merits.

Does no one see the problem here?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Jul 2014, 23:35

Matt wrote:
AdmiralMemo wrote:
Matt wrote:Also: memo, as a heads up, manner of dress is actually not at all a good predictor of liklihood of assault.

That is a substantial reason people consider warnings about what women wear to be victim blaming.

What women wear has nothing at all to do with how likely they are to be attacked, and so the advice is always useless, and always puts the onus for the assault on the woman instead of the assailant.

-m
If you have some studies to back this claim up, I will concede this point. :)
But in any case, even if it's not true, most of the people who believe it's true are not trying to intentionally blame the victim.

Perhaps that gets back to "the patriarchy" and how most of this stuff is not consciously-recognized. Many people perpetrating these things are not being malicious about it. So, I think that has to be the stance that feminism takes: making sure to say "You're doing this thing and it's hurting women" and not have it interpreted as "You are intentionally and maliciously doing this thing and it's hurting women." That second statement has a connotation of an attack, and people do not like being attacked, and will dig even further in, and it won't help one bit.
I'm on my phone, and so won't be sourcing the claim at the moment, but I hope you'll at least take my word for it for the purpose if the discussion.

On the question of intent:

Feminism DOES take the stance that people don't intend to be sexist, and that they generally perpetuate sexist systems through ignorance and socialization.

By and large the work done by feminist writers and content creators focus on things people do that are sexist, not how sexist people are. The Tropes vs. Women series by Anita Sarkeesian is a great example if this. Anita isn't focused on how awful and sexist video game companies are. She simply catalogues the ways that video games portray women, and discusses how these portrayals are sexist and harmful. It's about sexist acts, not sexist intent.

By that same token, intent isn't magic

-m
Oh yeah. Certainly. I understand. I'll give you a few days to come up with your sources. :)

Regarding Anita, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I personally do not like her tone and delivery style... But that's just me. What she says, when you strip that away, is absolutely valid and useful.

And finally, I read that whole article, and get what she's saying. However, it's hard to take her seriously when she's using the ridiculous "zie" and "hir" nonsense. :|
Danielle Pepin wrote:I would love to be able to walk down the street alone past a group of men without fearing intimidating catcalls or worse.
Serious question: Are there any non-intimidating catcalls?
And, real talk, I would really like to know if there is any actually appropriate way to tell a female stranger that she looks attractive. If there isn't, then I guess I just have to suck it up and stay silent. But I would think that most people would want to be told they look attractive.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

J_S_Bach
First Video: I honestly can't remember.

Postby J_S_Bach » 12 Jul 2014, 23:50

Baconus wrote:Person A says they are an egalitarian. They hate MRAs and people who derail the message of equality they belive in.

Person B is a feminist. They hate extreme views that profess female superiority that they call "not feminism"

Why is person A not allowed to say the extremists don't speak for them, but person B is? If Person A says they are an egalitarian, but MRA nonsense is not what they believe, they immediately get bullshit called upon them

Person B gets to say extremists aren't feminists and expects everyone to accept that and not mention extremists anymore. Either the whole group, everyone caling themsleves a member, mnust be considered. Or each person has to be considered on their merits.

Does no one see the problem here?

Yes, a hundred times yes. Thank you very much for articulating my feelings exactly. That's 100% what I've been trying to say.
KylieAnne
First Video: Unskippable: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby KylieAnne » 13 Jul 2014, 00:00

Matt wrote:Case in point why I don't trust "egalitarians":

-denial of patriarchy
-bogus assertion that feminism fails to understand societal forces driving pay gap
-defence of victim blaming, and invocation of "false claims" in discussion of rape culture.

These do not represent the positions of a progressive movement on gender equality.

Period.

-m

Very interesting points. Here are my problems with feminism.

-placing prominence on women's issues over other groups. It's right in the name.
-over simplified binary dichotomy view of the world.
- too quick to "attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" -Hanlon's Razor

Now before you tell me why I'm wrong to think each of those points look at Matt's post. Are his complaints against egalitarianism more valid than mine against feminism. If so, why?
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Postby Alex Steacy » 13 Jul 2014, 00:53

I don't think Feminism and any other social cause are mutually exclusive. Just because you identify as a feminist doesn't mean that you don't care about any other cause happening, focusing solely on women's issues to the exclusion of everything else (unless you're an extremist). What I'm trying to say is that it isn't like a fantasy game where you have to pick one class to the exclusion of all others.

I guess I just feel like feminism addresses a specific facet of social inequality, and I don't quite understand the notion that because you stand for one cause you do not or can not stand for others simultaneously - or perhaps even oppose them.
CulturalGeekGirl
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby CulturalGeekGirl » 13 Jul 2014, 01:24

KylieAnne wrote:
Matt wrote:Case in point why I don't trust "egalitarians":

-denial of patriarchy
-bogus assertion that feminism fails to understand societal forces driving pay gap
-defence of victim blaming, and invocation of "false claims" in discussion of rape culture.

These do not represent the positions of a progressive movement on gender equality.

Period.

-m

Very interesting points. Here are my problems with feminism.

-placing prominence on women's issues over other groups. It's right in the name.
-over simplified binary dichotomy view of the world.
- too quick to "attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" -Hanlon's Razor

Now before you tell me why I'm wrong to think each of those points look at Matt's post. Are his complaints against egalitarianism more valid than mine against feminism. If so, why?

No one in this thread who has claimed to be a feminist has said women's issues are more important than helping other groups. In fact, I have championed intersectionality several times. The idea of "intersectional" activism, or the social obligation for one form of activism to work in concert with other forms, was created by an African-American feminist.

No one in this thread has presented anything remotely approaching a binary view of the world. I have pointed out repeatedly that men who exhibit more feminine qualities suffer a great deal from the status quo. I also am strongly in favor of "smashing the gender binary," another phrase that originated in feminism and LGBTQ activism. One of my primary goals in being a feminist is to create a world where the gender spectrum is more accepted, and people of all gender identities can exhibit varied traits without having to conform to a gender norm.

No one here has attributed most this stuff to malice, either, at least not that I've seen. I've said again and again that the bias we're combating is unconscious and invisible. Sometimes even deliberate action that is harmful isn't malicious.

Essentially... nobody in this thread has done the things you seem to imagine feminism does, but people who say they're for equality not feminism have done all the things Matt listed there. That's the difference.

While I won't argue that there isn't a tiny minority of feminists who might do something that resembles what you claim, we've got a decent passel of feminists in this thread, and we haven't. Looking at this thread, it seems that those who oppose feminism in the name of "equality" often fit Matt's profile of problematic "egalitarianism", while feminists do not fit your profile of problematic feminism.
Shukes
First Video: One of the Friday Nights episodes

Postby Shukes » 13 Jul 2014, 01:41

mariomario42 wrote:I can talk about another point: the patriarchy. I see this brought up all the time now as something behind the scenes manipulating every aspect of our lives. I don't believe this. Basically, the patriarchy is a faceless, unnamed, and indistinctive being or ideal that can be attacked whenever.

The Patriarchy is a short hand way of saying the societal advantages granted to men in a society where men are valued more than women. It's not intended to describe some sort of all powerful group of misogynists ruling the world. It is in a sense manipulating every aspect of our lives because it is everywhere and invisible if you don't suffer the effects. The patriarchy is like sexist radiation.

mariomario42 wrote:I'm not sure what you are meaning by this first part, if you can reword. For the societal factors I mentioned was actually about men's role in a family. As a father, you should show your family love by providing things they need. You do this through more money, and working more. With working more, comes promotions by higher dedication to the job. I will not say this is the only one, but with the feminist filter, someone basic like this is overlooked.

To cover what I meant by the equal pay and variances between types of work, when a court is deciding (In England and Wales) if someone has been paid less on grounds of sex the person bringing the claim must provide a co-worker to compare with themselves. (Which is a whole other feminist jurisprudence issue I won't delve into here) To be successful they need to be doing effectively the same job, be rated the same by the company using an internal grading system yet be paid disparate amounts or do work of equal value (An example from one case a male chef who did 3 meals a day for general workers and a female chef who did 1 meal a day for management were held to be of equal value as the female chefs work was required to be of a higher standard). Therefore the differences between the jobs being done is taken into account when discussing the wage gap, women are being paid less than men for doing the same job.

Your example of a “societal factor” is a little confusing but it's irrelevant to the wage gap discussion, the promoted father of your example would be compared to a women who had been promoted to the same level who would most likely be paid less for doing the same job.

mariomario42 wrote:That isn't a fair comparison, but for a very sad reason. Due to false claims, detailed examination is needed to figure things out. With a mugging or robbery, evidence can be found, such as a personal item in the possession of the other. A rape case is word vs. word. and as many cases, actually knowing each other personally makes it even harder than a stranger mugging another. I hate that it's the case, but it's done for valid reasons.

First of all false rape claims are rare and a distraction to the important conversation on rape culture. Secondly I can accept that when someone is accused of a crime they are entitled to a robust defence, however I think that general sexual history (which is brought up in rape trials) is irrelevant and what the victim was wearing is irrelevant to consent yet it is also used to illustrate the defence of consent.
I think consent needs to be discussed and explained far more as it is more complex than people discuss. An excellent video on the matter is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5H6QvNmfjY and I highly recommend it's watched.

AdmiralMemo wrote: And finally, I read that whole article, and get what she's saying. However, it's hard to take her seriously when she's using the ridiculous "zie" and "hir" nonsense. :|

I would strongly disagree with calling the use of those terms ridiculous. They may be somewhat awkward as they are not yet incorporated into the English language and perhaps they aren't the best words but using slightly awkward English, at least to me, is worth it to make people who don't identify with binary genders feel more comfortable and accepted.

AdmiralMemo wrote: Serious question: Are there any non-intimidating catcalls?
And, real talk, I would really like to know if there is any actually appropriate way to tell a female stranger that she looks attractive. If there isn't, then I guess I just have to suck it up and stay silent. But I would think that most people would want to be told they look attractive.

With the caveat I don't experience this and I'm by no means really entitled to answer, I would say no there aren't any non-intimidating ways to tell a stranger they look attractive as they have no idea who you are and what your intentions are. Also you have no idea of their experiences so even meaning well and trying to pay a genuine complement, you may accidentally cause someone discomfort or fear.

And finally just a general point, yes feminism focuses on the equality suffered by women and it is in the name, but that doesn't prevent someone who is a feminist from supporting the rights of other groups nor does it diminish the validity of feminism, there are many issues that are caused by patriarchy, sexism and misogyny that it requires a specific focus to combat. Not to mention feminism should be intersectional as CulturalGeekGirl stated.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 13 Jul 2014, 01:56

Re: non-intimidating cat-calls... I think no, if only because a cat-call, by definition, is something loud and presumably done without being able to provide context and at a distance. Obviously some are more intimidating than others; a call naming an explicit sexual act the cat-caller wants to do to the person compared to a wolf-whistle, for example.

As for whether it's ever appropriate to compliment a stranger's appearance, that is tricky territory. I can envision situations where it isn't particularly intimidating but I can't name any kind of hard and fast rule. I suppose if I were to try to, I guess the best I can think is if you approach them in a conversational fashion and compliment them in a non-sexual fashion, that comes closest, but really... If you are not in a context where you would typically approach a stranger (e.g. a singles bar is different to on the street), it's hard to think of something which couldn't be intimidating.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 13 Jul 2014, 02:10

AdmiralMemo wrote:However, it's hard to take her seriously when she's using the ridiculous "zie" and "hir" nonsense.

Expressing my anger fully would probably be unproductive, but I would like to let you know that I am very upset with you right now.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 13 Jul 2014, 03:33

The use of "hir" and/or "zie" is kinda ridiculous. Why can't they just use 'he/she/him/her'? Or if they don't want to use gender, why not 'they'?

I know it's meant to be about gender neutrality, but you can't go around making words to make sure no-one is offended, or to represent everyone. What if a man wants to be addressed as a man? Or a women as a women? Would it not then be 'offensive' to them to disregard their gender? Someone is always going to be offended at something you say. I don't think it adds much to the cause of equality/equity by doing this. In fact it's probably does more harm as it can cause a lot of the general public to just think you're fringe weirdos by using all these terms.

Of course, using things like "Rape" in a frivolous way (or any way apart from describing the act) is something that can never be said in a non-offensive way, unless you're a complete tool; since it's one of the worst things one person can do to another. Those sorts of words are something that we (as a society) need to attempt to disuse as a words meaning anything apart from their real meaning (i.e. actual rape).
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 13 Jul 2014, 04:25

Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 13 Jul 2014, 04:27

Alex Steacy wrote:I don't think Feminism and any other social cause are mutually exclusive. Just because you identify as a feminist doesn't mean that you don't care about any other cause happening, focusing solely on women's issues to the exclusion of everything else (unless you're an extremist). What I'm trying to say is that it isn't like a fantasy game where you have to pick one class to the exclusion of all others.

I guess I just feel like feminism addresses a specific facet of social inequality, and I don't quite understand the notion that because you stand for one cause you do not or can not stand for others simultaneously - or perhaps even oppose them.

Ah, but they often get (and have historically been) treated as separate by campaigners worried about losing focus in their own message, which is a shame.

Case in point (It's an image link, but since it's rather large, I left it as a URL, look at "March on Washington" then possibly go read up about Ida B Wells, who was excellent, or some more Hark, A Vagrant!, which is also excellent)
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 13 Jul 2014, 04:51

On the zie/hir thing: why not use him/her? Because not everyone identifies as a binary gender, and because using his/her or he/she is more cumbersome use of language than zie or hir (though this latter point is just my opinion). Why not use 'they'? Because in context that could be misleading (after all, 'they' is commonly used as a plural). Why not specify a gender for each of the hypothetical people involved? Because that would miss the point. The point is not that this is a situation in which women hurt men or men hurt women or women hurt each other or men hurt each other; the point is that people can hurt other people with their language and actions sometimes.
Last edited by Duckay on 13 Jul 2014, 05:20, edited 1 time in total.
KinoGami
First Video: Desert Bus Killed the Internet Star

Postby KinoGami » 13 Jul 2014, 04:57

Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:... but you can't go around making words to make sure no-one is offended...

I'm sorry but this is something i couldn't ignore. Language is not static. It changes with time. Making up words is exactly what we do to fill in a gap. Just because it's not something everyone can relate to or finds the need for does not make is invalid. There are plenty of words in the English language I have never and will never find a use for, they are still "real" words.
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 13 Jul 2014, 05:18

I used to want to change the name of feminism to oppression solving technology, but the fact that oppressors feel threatened when you call it feminism makes it so simple and sweet I can't imagine anything better.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 13 Jul 2014, 05:56

If you want to view a video of someone missing the point here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5I8DkUPI5U

I'm worried at how favourable the likes are for that video.
Compared to his "Top 10 Kickstarter Fails" which was 50-50 Likes and Dislikes. Not sure what that speaks of; the internet as a whole or his viewership.

I think the video shows how unconstructive it is to take an extremist view on any topic.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 13 Jul 2014, 06:29

KinoGami wrote:
Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:... but you can't go around making words to make sure no-one is offended...

I'm sorry but this is something i couldn't ignore. Language is not static. It changes with time. Making up words is exactly what we do to fill in a gap. Just because it's not something everyone can relate to or finds the need for does not make is invalid. There are plenty of words in the English language I have never and will never find a use for, they are still "real" words.

My point isn't about that language is static, because it's obviously not (try have a conversation with someone from 13th century England), rather that creating a word that's sole purpose is to be 'non-offensive' is impossible.

Creating a word that's used to acknowledge people who don't identify with binary gender immediately alienates people who only identify binary gender, which let's face it, is the vast majority of the population.

If you want to use it only for people who don't identify with binary gender, fine, but the way it was used in that article was for everyone. Which means she either knows a very select bunch of people or that she applying a term that she has created to not offend un-binary people for everyone; which by doing that she could effectively offend other people.

Unless you're going to apply a double standard, which I assume they do not want to do.

Duckay wrote:On the zie/hir thing: why not use him/her? Because not everyone identifies as a binary gender, and because using his/her or he/she is more cumbersome use of language than zie or hir (though this latter point is just my opinion).

True, but the vast majority of people do identify with binary gender. Insisting on using language that is used to not offend the small minority of people is unlikely to gain traction amongst most people in society.

It's okay when it's used by people who are the 'movement' (can't think of a better word), but as soon as it's used 'outside' then it's just not going be taken seriously.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 13 Jul 2014, 06:50

Amake wrote:I used to want to change the name of feminism to oppression solving technology, but the fact that oppressors feel threatened when you call it feminism makes it so simple and sweet I can't imagine anything better.

Deedles

Postby Deedles » 13 Jul 2014, 06:53

Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:The use of "hir" and/or "zie" is kinda ridiculous. Why can't they just use 'he/she/him/her'? Or if they don't want to use gender, why not 'they'?

I know it's meant to be about gender neutrality, but you can't go around making words to make sure no-one is offended, or to represent everyone. What if a man wants to be addressed as a man? Or a women as a women? Would it not then be 'offensive' to them to disregard their gender? Someone is always going to be offended at something you say. I don't think it adds much to the cause of equality/equity by doing this. In fact it's probably does more harm as it can cause a lot of the general public to just think you're fringe weirdos by using all these terms.

Of course, using things like "Rape" in a frivolous way (or any way apart from describing the act) is something that can never be said in a non-offensive way, unless you're a complete tool; since it's one of the worst things one person can do to another. Those sorts of words are something that we (as a society) need to attempt to disuse as a words meaning anything apart from their real meaning (i.e. actual rape).

Yes, you very much can make up words to get your point across. The Swedish words for he and she is 'han'(he) and 'hon'(she), but a lot of people who didn't like how the Swedish language catered to only binary gender roles and back in 1993 a third word, a genderless word, called 'hen' was suggested. It didn't become that populare at the time, but now it's really broken through, and become part of common speech in most areas that I have seen.

So no, it isn't ridiculous in any shape or form.
Last edited by Deedles on 13 Jul 2014, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 13 Jul 2014, 06:57

Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:
Duckay wrote:On the zie/hir thing: why not use him/her? Because not everyone identifies as a binary gender, and because using his/her or he/she is more cumbersome use of language than zie or hir (though this latter point is just my opinion).

True, but the vast majority of people do identify with binary gender. Insisting on using language that is used to not offend the small minority of people is unlikely to gain traction amongst most people in society.

It's okay when it's used by people who are the 'movement' (can't think of a better word), but as soon as it's used 'outside' then it's just not going be taken seriously.

Sit back and think about the bolded phrase and how it relates to discussions of feminism and building an equal society. Sweeping some "small minority of people" under the rug? Thanks for demonstrating the insidiousness of the patriarchy.
KinoGami
First Video: Desert Bus Killed the Internet Star

Postby KinoGami » 13 Jul 2014, 07:08

Metcarfre wrote:
Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:

Sit back and think about the bolded phrase and how it relates to discussions of feminism and building an equal society. Sweeping some "small minority of people" under the rug? Thanks for demonstrating the insidiousness of the patriarchy.

This. We have words that cater to the majority. We have places where the majority can go and feel comfortable. Labeling something as invalid because it doesn't apply to the majority is dismissive and insulting. We are evolving into a society that sees things beyond binary gender identification and with that evolution comes a change in thought and language.

So maybe those terms right now only apply to a minority of people, but that group of people deserves to have terms it can identify and feel comfortable with. And if the majority can look past their unfamiliarity with those words, question why it makes them uncomfortable, maybe they can then see the reverse and see the need for them as well.
Tsumei
First Video: A sketch video sometime back in 2008..?

Postby Tsumei » 13 Jul 2014, 07:15

Yes, you very much can make up words to get your point across. The Swedish words for he and she is 'han'(he) and 'hon'(she), but a lot of people who didn't like how the Swedish language catered to only binary gender roles and back in 1994 a third word, a genderless word, called 'hen' was suggested. It become that populare at the time, but now it's really broken through, and become part of common speech in most areas that I have seen.

So no, it isn't ridiculous in any shape or form.

This! I'm Norwegian and even I have started to use this word. My partner being swedish obviously contributes to my usage of it, but it fits nicely into the norwegian language just as it does the swedish one.

Mostly I've found it's a great word to use when you're just not sure, or when you are talking to someone about someone else whose gender identity is fluid or you are unsure of. It alleviates the gendered awkwardness in common social situations :)

Return to “General Discussion”