The Mixed Emotion Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Re: The Mixed Emotion Thread

Postby Bebop Man » 01 Mar 2014, 19:27

I love breaking even at roulette but technically there's a mixed feeling to it because you have to lose before you break even.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 02 Mar 2014, 03:58

...or you're winning and you have to finish with a loss. Either way, yeah. :?

So yesterday, I think I had my first panic attack. A mild one, but...

So the supermarket has a row of shops renting space along the front of the building: a doctor's office, a cell phone dealer, a travel agent, etc.

And one of the girls from the hair dressing salon came by to get a bite to eat. After I served her and she went over to the checkouts to pay, my co-worker came up and mentioned that one of the staff of the salon had committed suicide. We talked about that for a little, and then went back to our tasks...

...and I thought sympathetically to the surviving staff, and that got me thinking back...

...and next thing I know, my chest is tight, and I can feel my throat throbbing in time with my pulse. Said pulse had gotten up to 100+bpm, and I barely had to touch my fingers to my skin to clearly feel it (where I usually have to press in a little to feel the pulse in the artery). I tried my usual method to calm myself - Pranayama breathing, but that didn't seem to do anything for a while.

My hands remained steady the entire time, and I wasn't 'trapped in my thoughts' - I could go on with my work and concentrate on that. I was just really anxious and worked up for about a half-hour before my pulse came back down to its usual 70's.

Shit, if that's just the tip of the iceberg?
*hugs people prone to crippling panic attacks*
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 03 Mar 2014, 01:35

Just finished correcting a paper about how literacy is a bad thing, leading to the formalisation of social inequality, among other terrible things.

I am quite calm about it however, viewing it as an exercise in zen-level irony.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Tycherin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby Tycherin » 03 Mar 2014, 08:32

Ptangmatik wrote:Just finished correcting a paper about how literacy is a bad thing, leading to the formalisation of social inequality, among other terrible things.

Like I've always said, the perfectly equal society is the one in which everyone is dead.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 03 Mar 2014, 09:30

Tycherin wrote:Like I've always said, the perfectly equal society is the one in which everyone is dead.

SomethingsomethingHitlerjokesomething.

Where'd I leave those paracetamol?
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
empath

Postby empath » 03 Mar 2014, 10:05

Ptangmatik wrote:Just finished correcting a paper about how literacy is a bad thing, leading to the formalisation of social inequality, among other terrible things.

...I think that almost belongs in the lol-thread. :lol:

"Citizens are Raging Against Phones, Lazlow!"

"But...what are you calling me on?!?"

"That's not the point!"
:D
Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 03 Mar 2014, 21:13

So, I got in three sets of One Piece DVDs today.

I watched the first one today, and to sum it up

But on the upswing, I've still got 24 episodes to watch.
Image Image Image
empath

Postby empath » 03 Mar 2014, 23:12

Wait...WHAT? I've been reading that O-P screencap webcomic...now you make me not wanna continue if that's looming ahead of me. :(
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 04 Mar 2014, 03:25

I dunno how a webcomic that makes the story into a D&D-like RPG kind of story, like Darths and Droids, will handle that scene... In the anime that was one of the most touching scenes I can remember.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 04 Mar 2014, 03:33

It's great when you create a bit of improvisation when playing an instrument.

It just sucks when you don't know what you did or how you did it.

But at least it's flattering what you can come up with. I can say, after my random improvisation, I am an amazing violinist.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 06 Mar 2014, 09:40

So... today I turned in my resignation to one of my jobs. (The little part time very painful one... just not worth the pain.) It was a good job with good people, but I like feeling my toes, and standing for 4-8.5 hours straight does not lend well to that, due to my bone spurs and plantar fasciitis.

Over the last week I have been dropping off applications to other small part-time positions. I dropped one off at 3 pm yesterday, and got a call back this morning at 9, with an interview this afternoon. The hours and work will be much better for me if I get it.

but if I don't, I'll be back to looking...

NERVES!
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 06 Mar 2014, 11:22

Good luck!!
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 06 Mar 2014, 13:51

Yeah, good luck 2Stepz. :)
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 06 Mar 2014, 15:22

Encouragement!
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 06 Mar 2014, 16:35

No more bread baking in my pastry class!!
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 10 Mar 2014, 22:57

I don't think I've ever felt as loved as I did today.
empath

Postby empath » 15 Mar 2014, 18:43

So, who's got two thumbs, and access to lrrEMOTES again?

*gestures* THIS GUY! :lol:

Picked up a prepaid CC after work...because while I have a pending transfer into Paypal, it should be applied around the 20th...and Netflix gets paid each month on the 22nd...and all these 'seasonal' St.Pat's-themed sales END around the 20th...

HAD to get that SEGA Humble Weekly Sale, but now this leaves me with just over $11cdn on the card...

...and I had to go watch Graham play Alan Wake's American Nightmare...

...and just fifteen minutes in now I'm MAJORLY jonesing for Alan Wake itself, which is still $30...but is part of GOG's 'Luck of the Irish' bundle sale - pick five games and get them 90% off.

BUT, even if I tag AW (at $3), and four other games that are discounted down to $2, that STILL brings the bill to $11usd, which is GOING to convert to greater than the balance left on my prepaid card. :P

Grrrrrrrr...it feels wasteful to go get ANOTHER prepaid card tomorrow, even if I do have the cash to spare from my tax refund...I could wait for Paypal...but my estimate is that I'd have just hours between the transfer completing and these cool sales ending...and I know I'd be at work on that day :(

...also, I already HAVE Alan Wake's American Nightmare (from a previous GOG bundle sale), so now I'm torn between watching Graham play it, and playing it for the first time myself...or maybe putting BOTH options to one side until I've got and played through the first game? :lol:
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 18 Mar 2014, 20:59

This is kind of a complex emotion I'm feeling here - a mixture of gratitude, happiness, sadness, and large spoonful of exhaustion. Also I'm a little on edge having just completed a major project with several Cokes' worth of caffeine in my system, so it's going here.

I love all you guys. For all my whinging and depressive b.s. over the past five years I want you guys to know I appreciate you and this community. You're all so supportive, and I think I'd be a lot more socially and emotionally stunted if not for all of you and all the friends I've made here. I check the forum multiple times a day and even though I only ever seem to post when I've got something to complain about I read almost all the posts in all the threads. I think about you guys all the time and I care for you all, whether you like it or not. Yes, you reading this. I love you. You're great. Deal with it. 8)

Thanks for everything. You're in my heart.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 18 Mar 2014, 21:25

And you fit right in with the rest of us on that, Aubergine. :)

I'm with you 100% on all that—I stick to some threads more than others, but I read everything here, and everyone is awesome. I'm not a super social person in the real world, and the nature of what I'm doing with my life right now means I'm not inclined to get out of the house all that often. You guys keep me talking and interacting to a degree I never have online before, and I think I'd feel a lot more isolated without this place.

The fact that I'd be happy to get to know any one of the regular posters on here in the real world just goes to show that you're all the bee's knees. And even if you don't feel like you're one of the regular posters, you're probably more well-known than you think. Honestly, I'm only just starting to get over feeling like the "new guy" and accepting that people probably remember who I am. And it's really great knowing that.

Now that I've gone off on a tangent started to derail Aubergine's point, I should probably stop typing. :P
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Juliamon
First Video: I... think it was Who Watches Movies?

Postby Juliamon » 19 Mar 2014, 23:09

My nana died today.

She was my last remaining grandparent.

I am oddly happy that the funeral will, with any luck, be the last one for a close relative I will attend for a long time. Worrying about her dying was a pretty constant source of anxiety for the last few years (her health really started to decline after her husband passed, they had been married for like 70 years and still really loved each other) and it will be a huge relief for both me and my mom to not have to worry about her anymore.
brb, assaulting children.
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 20 Mar 2014, 05:38

Last night (midnight) I received an email from the owner at the teashop I was working at. He fired me in an email.
On a happy note, I get to spend more time with my children, but the experience would have been great for the next job. I still haven't determined if I'm very upset about this, or just unhappy at the loss of money.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 20 Mar 2014, 13:49

MinniChi wrote:Last night (midnight) I received an email from the owner at the teashop I was working at. He fired me in an email.
On a happy note, I get to spend more time with my children, but the experience would have been great for the next job. I still haven't determined if I'm very upset about this, or just unhappy at the loss of money.

:? Thats kind of a dick way to fire someone. At the very least have the decency for a telephone call...
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 20 Mar 2014, 14:22

Jamfalcon wrote:And you fit right in with the rest of us on that, Aubergine. :)

I'm with you 100% on all that—I stick to some threads more than others, but I read everything here, and everyone is awesome. I'm not a super social person in the real world, and the nature of what I'm doing with my life right now means I'm not inclined to get out of the house all that often. You guys keep me talking and interacting to a degree I never have online before, and I think I'd feel a lot more isolated without this place.

The fact that I'd be happy to get to know any one of the regular posters on here in the real world just goes to show that you're all the bee's knees. And even if you don't feel like you're one of the regular posters, you're probably more well-known than you think. Honestly, I'm only just starting to get over feeling like the "new guy" and accepting that people probably remember who I am. And it's really great knowing that.

Now that I've gone off on a tangent started to derail Aubergine's point, I should probably stop typing. :P

This. Quite often when I hang around here it's hard to keep it straight. Am I a regular poster? Am I part of a community? Do people really pay attention to my jokes and respond to my silly little thread about last words?

I'm not sure if this belongs in the Mixed Emotion thread, since the emotion is mostly just surprise and disbelief.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 20 Mar 2014, 14:44

Prospero101 wrote:
Jamfalcon wrote:And you fit right in with the rest of us on that, Aubergine. :)

This. Quite often when I hang around here it's hard to keep it straight. Am I a regular poster? Am I part of a community? Do people really pay attention to my jokes and respond to my silly little thread about last words?

I'm not sure if this belongs in the Mixed Emotion thread, since the emotion is mostly just surprise and disbelief.

Yes to all. You're a pretty cool dude Prospero.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 20 Mar 2014, 23:07

Today two things happened of weight.

I went on a second date with a girl to see 'The Grand Budapest Hotel'. It was a good date, we really like each other, and I'm very happy with the way things are going. The film was great too. The night ended with us kissing in front of various dramatic New York views, which I think is pretty cool.

Also, my dog back in Oman died. She got an infection, there were complications and her kidneys failed. I'm having a trouble processing it. I'm sad, but it feels so un-immediate and far away. Balance that opposite another part of my life going very well for a change, and I'm a little at a loss.

This post is a very literal definition of this thread.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.

Return to “General Discussion”