New Cosmos

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

New Cosmos

Postby sdhonda » 05 Aug 2011, 17:12

http://www.digitaltrends.com/lifestyle/ ... sse-tyson/

Carl Sagan's classic science docu-series "Cosmos" is getting a refresh, and will air on Fox starting in 2013.

Science enthusiasts, rejoice! Carl Sagan’s classic television series Cosmos, considered by many to be one of the greatest science series of all-time, is returning to television, reports Deadline.

The Cosmos refresh, officially titled Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey, is being produced by self-professed nerd Seth MacFarlane, creator of Family Guy. And the 13-episode series will be written by Ann Druyam, Carl Sagan’s widow and a writer/producer on the original series, along with astrophysicist Steven Soter.

Standing in for Sagan as host will be famed astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson. Having Tyson onboard with the new series not only ensures that it will be up to snuff for even the most avid science fans, but his relative celebrity (he’s been on The Colbert Report multiple times, for instance) should help draw in viewers.

Perhaps the most peculiar thing about the new Cosmos is where and when it will be airing. Rather than appearing on a channel like Discovery or National Geographic, Cosmos will run on none other than Fox (not known for its promotion of science), and will reportedly have a primetime slot — a rare thing for a show devoted toward serious scientific thought.

The deal with Fox is reportedly due to MacFarlane’s long-running relationship with 20th Century Fox, which helped him create the Family Guy franchise.

“Never more than at this moment in the modern era have we needed a profound reminder of the colossally important and exciting role that science, space exploration and the human quest for knowledge must continue to play in our development as a species,” said MacFarlane in a statement.

“We should be vigorously exploring the solar system by now, and who better to inspire us to get there than Ann Druyan, Steven Soter, Neil deGrasse Tyson and, of course, Carl Sagan.”

The show’s producers tell Deadline that the new Cosmos will tell “the story of how human beings began to comprehend the laws of nature and find our place in space and time. It will take viewers to other worlds and travel across the universe for a vision of the cosmos on the grandest scale. The most profound scientific concepts will be presented with stunning clarity, uniting skepticism and wonder, and weaving rigorous science with the emotional and spiritual into a transcendent experience.”

Cosmos is set to air sometime in 2013
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Re: New Cosmos

Postby TheRocket » 05 Aug 2011, 17:21

This is obviously a hoax since the world is ending in 2012.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
sdhonda

Postby sdhonda » 05 Aug 2011, 18:25

*imagines Neil calmly debunking 2012, kinda like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MlN7iVIuhk*
nonjabiru
First Video: A Stich in Time

Postby nonjabiru » 05 Aug 2011, 19:30

So Fox is showing a science (fact) show that's produced by a (possibly former) geek favorite when it comes to tv shows?

They'll show the episodes out of order and it will keep getting interrupted by baseball before FOX decides that the show is rubbish and forget about it.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 05 Aug 2011, 19:42

This news fills me with unspeakable joy. Neil's no Carl Sagan, but he's damn good, the best we have. And Cosmos... Cosmos was something else. It just fills me with such hope.

nonjabiru wrote:So Fox is showing a science (fact) show that's produced by a (possibly former) geek favorite when it comes to tv shows?

They'll show the episodes out of order and it will keep getting interrupted by baseball before FOX decides that the show is rubbish and forget about it.

It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter. This is... if people even watch one episode, a single episode, maybe things can get better. Maybe people's eyes will be opened to the wonder of the universe, the power of science. Maybe people will behave a little more rationally, think a little longer-term. Maybe. Maybe.

Over 500 million people have seen the original Cosmos. Just think about that. 500 million people. If even the tiniest fraction of those people start thinking a little more, just a little more....

Ach. It is enough to give me the goosepimples.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 05 Aug 2011, 20:06

AlexanderDitto wrote:This news fills me with unspeakable joy. Neil's no Carl Sagan, but he's damn good, the best we have. And Cosmos... Cosmos was something else. It just fills me with such hope.

nonjabiru wrote:So Fox is showing a science (fact) show that's produced by a (possibly former) geek favorite when it comes to tv shows?

It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter. This is... if people even watch one episode, a single episode, maybe things can get better. Maybe people's eyes will be opened to the wonder of the universe, the power of science. Maybe people will behave a little more rationally, think a little longer-term. Maybe. Maybe.

Over 500 million people have seen the original Cosmos. Just think about that. 500 million people. If even the tiniest fraction of those people start thinking a little more, just a little more....

Ach. It is enough to give me the goosepimples.

You forget that the original Cosmos was aired on PBS and re-and-re-broadcast for DECADES; I watched it religiously on its original airing, but a lot of those 500 million are netted over quite a period of time.

And you also forget that this is FAUX - even before FAUX NEWS existed, this travesty of telecasting has been taking OTHER amazing shows and DESTROYING THEM. FAUX has a history of taking chances with promising things, then fucking them up beyond all recognition.

...and it's not like the do this deliberately - it just appears...over such a long period of time, and with so many examples...that FAUX's management team either are the same, unchanging group of incompetents, or they rotate the deadwood through the system yet still end up with the same net effectiveness and competency.

I *really* despair for Tyson, Soter, Druyan and even McFarlane...
semysane
First Video: Unskippable: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby semysane » 05 Aug 2011, 21:45

Something tells me that MacFarlane wouldn't put up with Fox's normal shit. From what I cal tell, he basically does what he wants with his shows and Fox goes along because he rakes in the viewers.
Ottoman

Postby Ottoman » 05 Aug 2011, 22:17

AlexanderDitto wrote:This is... if people even watch one episode, a single episode, maybe things can get better. Maybe people's eyes will be opened to the wonder of the universe, the power of science. Maybe people will behave a little more rationally, think a little longer-term. Maybe. Maybe.
No.

Your optimism. . . is inspiring, I suppose, but unfounded. This is meaningless. The viewers who follow Fox's regular programming will not care. The only benefit is for nerds like us who are Sagan and / or Tyson fans. Nothing will change, no matter how much or little the network screws this series over.

It's a matter of human nature. People who don't want to think rationally or scientifically will never do so. Those who have merely never had the opportunity won't ever do so, either, because that would be change, and people fear change.

You think a television series will have any kind of meaningful impact on humanity in a good way? You think someone can be pulled out of ignorance by something like this? You will be disappointed.

Remember: this is America, where learning is for faggots. Educational TV is what you get for punishment, or what you sleep through at school.

Why are they doing this? Sure, I'm not complaining, but it seems like a colossal waste of time, and probably money, for everyone involved.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 06 Aug 2011, 04:03

Needs more Cox.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 06 Aug 2011, 05:05

To make a documentary about the Universe you must first create the Universe.

*cough*

Anyway, it seems a bit weird to me that they are doing the Cosmos series, especially other series (like The Universe, Into the Wormhole, Wonders of the Universe, etc.) exist and are quite popular. However, those are on cable and perhaps something with some brand recognition on network tv will be popular. But Honestly, people still watch Network TV?
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
sdhonda

Postby sdhonda » 06 Aug 2011, 17:42

To all the people fretting about FOX... I'm sure it wont be this bad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE_OehRLH3s
empath

Postby empath » 07 Aug 2011, 13:21

And WHAT network did that episode air on? Image

WHO exactly was executive producer/voice actor/creator of the show that ep belonged to? Image Image
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 07 Aug 2011, 14:25

I am skeptical
But it might be good
Cosmos is one of my favorite shows of all time
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
semysane

Postby semysane » 07 Aug 2011, 14:32

GreigKM wrote:I am skeptical

How appropriate
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 07 Aug 2011, 14:48

Oh, I get it! That's very meta of Fox. Telling people that they're remaking Cosmos engenders in the people told the feeling that watching the show is supposed to - scepticism and hope both at once - and that way they don't have to spend a fraction of the cost of actually producing the show.

Actually.. maybe that's rather more cunning than Fox is, in fact, capable of.
empath

Postby empath » 07 Aug 2011, 14:51

Ah, but it's not just FAUX, as I said - who's one of the executive producers of THIS potential program, too? Not too cunning for him.

And for the record, I'm uncertain and uneasy, but not raeg. I really don't know how this will turn out...
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 08 Aug 2011, 01:09

I'm excited to see Cosmos is coming back, I'm excited that Neil Degrasse Tyson is hosting it...

But Seth McFarlane being involved terrifies me.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 08 Aug 2011, 10:15

Ottoman wrote:No.

Your optimism. . . is inspiring, I suppose, but unfounded. This is meaningless. The viewers who follow Fox's regular programming will not care. The only benefit is for nerds like us who are Sagan and / or Tyson fans. Nothing will change, no matter how much or little the network screws this series over.

It's a matter of human nature. People who don't want to think rationally or scientifically will never do so. Those who have merely never had the opportunity won't ever do so, either, because that would be change, and people fear change.

You think a television series will have any kind of meaningful impact on humanity in a good way? You think someone can be pulled out of ignorance by something like this? You will be disappointed.

Remember: this is America, where learning is for faggots. Educational TV is what you get for punishment, or what you sleep through at school.

Why are they doing this? Sure, I'm not complaining, but it seems like a colossal waste of time, and probably money, for everyone involved.

Wow what a lot of pessimistic bullshit! Your statements are far less realistic than mine were, and I'll tell you why: odds.

Here are the facts:
-FOX is pouring money and effort into greenlighting an educational program with talented people at the helm.

-Regardless of what FOX does in terms of airing dates, times, or order, if this actually gets produced and put on the air without being censored or influenced by FOX, it will mean scientific programming will appear on televisions across the country tuned to FOX. Carl Sagan's widow is involved. She will stomp some heads if FOX tries to muck with it too much.

-The odds are good that some percentage of people however small, will watch the show. Perhaps out of apathy or boredom. Perhaps out of some small lingering curiosity. Perhaps because they want to write an angry letter to FOX News about it the next day. It doesn't matter. Some eyeballs will watch the show. Those eyeballs will be exposed to science.

-You speak as though every person on earth is fully entrenched in their ideals. Clearly no one ever converts away from religion, or changes their political party, or decides to start sponsoring a charity, changes jobs, adopts a pet. No, clearly, people never ever change, ever. What a foolish thing to say! Perhaps, it is true, there are many stupid, stubborn people who have no desire to be shown the error of their ways, who avoid education at all costs. But to say that of every person on earth displays only your own arrogance and bitterness. There exists the capacity to change in every person. Some have more of this capacity than others.

-There are children and teenagers who watch FOX (remember, this is the same channel that produces Glee and American Idol and Family Guy). They of all people are the target demographic for this new Cosmos. Even if they watch only one episode, and even if only a small fraction of them are actually interested enough to retain, it's worth the price of production.

In many ways the 1970s were a more cynical, less scientific time than today. Computers were far from pervasive. Information was far less accessible. The country was embroiled in political upheaval and war that makes this decade look like My Little Pony. And funding for science was constantly threatened at a time when it was clearly most crucial (the Internet was developing then). You think no one, not a single man, woman, or child, was influenced at all by the original Cosmos? Ridiculous.

Yes, many kids sleep through Educational TV at school. Many don't.

I didn't.

And watching Bill Nye the Science Guy after school and Nova with my parents at night is undoubtedly part of the reason why I'm a scientist today.

So, yes, at the very least, I'm excited for the proto-mes around the country who are looking for answers and want to learn more. Because they're out there, and shit like this will change their life.

So, honestly, you can go shove your pessimism.
semysane

Postby semysane » 08 Aug 2011, 10:28

I am really quite looking forward to this. There's only a handful of TV shows I can be arsed to watch normally, it'll be nice to add something cerebral to that list.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 08 Aug 2011, 10:52

Apparently 500 million people watched the original series.

500 million.

If nothing else, they'll have the nostalgia factor working in their favour.
Ottoman

Postby Ottoman » 08 Aug 2011, 11:00

AlexanderDitto wrote:So, yes, at the very least, I'm excited for the proto-mes around the country who are looking for answers and want to learn more. Because they're out there, and shit like this will change their life.
You're right, this decade is very different from the 70s. These kids who are looking for answers and want to learn more. . . will already have done so, using the internet. Meanwhile, the kids who are watching Family Guy, Glee, and all the other shit on television clearly aren't interested in learning more about anything.

And you're right, it could be considered hyperbole to say that nobody from that second group would be influenced. Of course, in a group that large, some people inevitably will be pushed to change their mindset. But as a man of science yourself, you're surely familiar with the term 'negligible'. In the end, the result is likely to be the same; that is, nonexistent.

I don't dispute that the original Cosmos was important. This remake, though, seems redundant and useless.

(Oh, and if you were trying to make a point about scientific funding and progress in the US? Come on, you know that's silly. Even if every single person who saw the show magically became just like you or I and wanted to focus all our nation's resources on science, it's not like the common people have any power. And the billionaires certainly don't watch FOX.)
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 08 Aug 2011, 11:05

Hey!

I watch Glee. :(
empath

Postby empath » 08 Aug 2011, 11:53

metcarfre wrote:Hey!

dude.

I...you...we...we just can't be friends anymore. Sorry.

;)

But alex" - there's two critical things to remember:

yourself wrote:-Regardless of what FOX does in terms of airing dates, times, or order, if this actually gets produced and put on the air without being censored or influenced by FOX, it will mean scientific programming will appear on televisions across the country tuned to FOX. Carl Sagan's widow is involved. She will stomp some heads if FOX tries to muck with it too much.

It's a pretty big 'if' there, son. You're founding your hopes on people - powerful and influential people that we haven't mentioned by name yet here - on these people NOT interfering with a show's production, on them NOT taking actions that would alter the show yet result in same said people having had more part in the show's creation (even if the end result of those actions weakens or lessens the show), to suppress the very human and egotistical (but, honestly, this is a good form of egotism...usually) behaviour to take part, to participate, to contribute.

I might also add that this network's history has MANY potentially-great and exciting and revolutionary shows that they've taken under their wing...and MEDDLED with; altered to kill the spirit of the shows, ruined any continuity, interfered directly with the telling of the shows' stories, and ultimately KILLED the chances these shows had.

Don't get me wrong - I'm accusing these people of deliberately doing this, but it HAS happened.

Repeatedly.

So in this matter, previous experience shows that to count on these people to NOT INTERFERE (even with the best of intentions) this time is rather naive.

Oh, and the second thing to remember is why I'm taking such a pessimistic stance regarding this:

I'm playing for the best net result.

There's two ways I can feel about Cosmos, v. 2.0, irrespective of what actually happens: I can get my hopes up and be all optimistic and expect the best of results, or I can be a withered old cynic and pessimistically assume the worst will happen.

There's also effectively two possible results to the show: it works out (even moderately well, or any flaws or interferences fail to outweigh the value and benefit of the show), or it fails (never gets produced, produced but cancelled before airing, aired but hopelessly meddled with - aired out of order, changes to fundamental elements, etc). And those results are independent of my expectations (I'm not Rupert Murdoch, after all - I have no say in FAUX, nor any power over 'Mrs. Sagan' or Mr.McFarlane or Dr.Tyson, etc.)

So if I get my hopes up, and the show goes great? I'm pleased.

If I get my hopes up, and the show tanks? I'm devastated.

But if I assume the worst, and the show tanks as I expect? I'm vindicated in my unpopular stance.

And if I prophetize doom and failure, and I turn out to be wrong and the show works out well? I get pleasantly surprised.

I'm hedging my bets on this one, thanks.

tl;dr? I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a disappointed optimist.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 08 Aug 2011, 11:58

empath wrote:
metcarfre wrote:Hey!

dude.

I...you...we...we just can't be friends anymore. Sorry.

;)

OH NO I FORGOT EVERYONE HAS TO LIKE ALL THE SAME THINGS ALL THE TIME!!!

OMG I HAVEN'T SEEN MY LADIES PRONIES YET I AM NOT A NNNNNNEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!
Ottoman

Postby Ottoman » 08 Aug 2011, 15:04

metcarfre wrote:OH NO I FORGOT EVERYONE HAS TO LIKE ALL THE SAME THINGS ALL THE TIME!!!
It works like so:

Code: Select all

God Tier: Things I like
Mid Tier: Things I don't like
Shit Tier: Glee

Return to “General Discussion”