Does anyone have and use an E-reader?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Does anyone have and use an E-reader?

Postby Metcarfre » 14 Nov 2011, 11:49

If so, what brands/models/etc. would you recommend? I'm interested in having one primarily for taking out books from the library and downloading free 'classic' books, not necessarily buying new stuff. E-ink only, thanks, and no need for cell access or what have you. As light, inexpensive, and simple as possible. Also, available in Canada. Thanks.

Edit; Also, I guess if I could use it to read .pdfs of scientific papers, that would be good.
Last edited by Metcarfre on 14 Nov 2011, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Re: Does anyone have and use an E-reader?

Postby Digital Dolphin » 14 Nov 2011, 11:53

Your options are SEVERELY limited if you're sticking with E-Ink only. That being said, for what you're looking for it makes the most sense.

If you read comics at all, I'd suggest waiting until January to see if Colour E-Ink e-readers are announced at CES. Otherwise, like I said, not a lot of choice.
#TeamKroze
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 14 Nov 2011, 12:09

That's fine, I just want to read books anyways. Not even comics.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 14 Nov 2011, 13:56

I use a kobo, and it works pretty well for me. You get access to a lot of old public-domain classics for free, and you can use a program like calibre to turn your pdfs or docs into epub files for it. It's the only one that I have any direct experience with, but I like it.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 14 Nov 2011, 14:00

Yeah, I was looking at a Kobo the other day.

Also, to anyone reading, this app allows you to use library books on your iOS device. Apropos of nothing.

Edit; Which I just found out allows me to download free audiobooks from the library to my iPhone! Yessss.
Askwho
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Askwho » 14 Nov 2011, 15:56

I use a Kindle, and I have to say I love it. it goes everywhere with me, and I get through about a book or more every week since I got it about a year ago (much more than before). wouldn't give it up now for a medium sized pile of cash.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 14 Nov 2011, 16:05

Well Kindle doesn't support EPUB, so no go there.
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 14 Nov 2011, 16:32

I wanted an ebook for similar stuff. I move accross continents a lot and wasn't sure where I'd settle so I really wasn't too interested in any of the phone/wifi ones that are pretty localised, and I didn't want a touch screen because I have a bad history with them, and I wanted to make sure it took SD cards because it's my support of choice.

I got a Sony Reader, a model they don't actually do anymore actually. But I've been using it for library books, I have thousands of classics on hand as well, and I'm really enjoying it. I would take a look at their current models and see if there is anything that works for you.

I have to say, getting all the classic at once was awesome for me. I now have thousands of them and I have been going "hey, I never read 'insert classic name'. I should do that" and I don't have to go out and buy it or anything, I just read it. Also, I can browse and start reading one and stuff.
And because I move a lot, it really helps being able to keep your books with you. I've kept some in paper form but I've had to leave so many behind, now it's much less of a worry.

Sony's own format is lrf, but they can also read epub and pdf fine.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 15 Nov 2011, 00:11

I've got one of the new Kindles and I mainly use it for Black Library's WH40K books. Seriously there are hundreds of them and I just don't have the room for the actual books but they fit quite nicely onto a Kindle.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Dibria
First Video: The Job

Postby Dibria » 15 Nov 2011, 07:11

I have one of the last generation kindles (the dark grey ones with a keyboard) and before that I had a sony ereader pocket.

Sony reader wise, I'm led to believe that they have improved but they certainly used to have that sony issue of a great device let down by the software, the interface was painfully slow but modern e-ink displays should have ironed that out. The sony models certainly display pdfs better but I have found the kindle far easier in every respect, easier to get book onto, easier to navigate...

Loaning books wise - we don't really have that in the UK, or at least no where near me, I tried once with my sony reader when I lived in Birmingham but ereaders just didn't have enough of a market at the time and now I live in the arse end of nowhere.

Buying books wise, the kindle wins again over here, I remember trying to get hold of the book 'Tickling the English' by Dara O'Briain - it was about £5 on Kindle, £8 paperback, £12 hardback or £16.99 from the waterstones ebookstore - I actually emailed waterstones to see if this was a mistake and they sent a very snooty email back about how if I didn't like the price I could shop else ware, so I did, that sure backfired for them.

My point is pretty much that, in the UK at least, the cheapest way to get up to date ebooks is amazon so the kindle is pretty much it. The only person I know who hasn't switched is a linux using friend of mine who rants about open formats and has done various custom things to his sony readers firmware.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 15 Nov 2011, 07:31

I should probably say specifically that the Kindle is out regardless. Not supported by (or rather, it doesn't support) my library.
rustak
First Video: Man Cooking - Swiss Meat Roll

Postby rustak » 15 Nov 2011, 14:00

I've got a Kindle, and while I love it, as you say it's a no-go if you want to check out books from your library. I think your best bet there is the Kobo -- good support, good product, good price. I wouldn't bother with color e-ink or anything similar; only thing that really should matter is whether the contrast is enough for you (I've heard some people complain about the with e-ink), and if the page turn refresh is fast enough to not annoy you.

One issue I had with the original Kobos was that it was quite hard to get content on there; you had to use their app. With a Kindle, you just plug it in and it shows up as a regular USB drive that you can copy stuff onto. I -think- this is fixed in the more current Kobos, though.

You may want to go by an Indigo/Chapters and play with one in person, if there's one near you.

Return to “General Discussion”