Moving to Vancouver Island?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
pokute
First Video: Phailhaüs

Moving to Vancouver Island?

Postby pokute » 22 Jun 2014, 18:02

I have a friend who wants to move to British Columbia. Right now, she's considering between Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island. I live in the Vancouver area, but I unfortunately don't know much about Vancouver Island. All I know is Vancouver Island supposedly has better weather and is quieter.

Has anyone here lived in both places and can compare the two? What's Vancouver Island like? Are there high crime areas to avoid? How do the living expenses and real estate prices compare in general?

She says she's looking for a cheap, quiet place to live with good internet and low crime. She doesn't care much about activities, but does need access to super markets and computer stuff.

Thanks for the help!
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Re: Moving to Vancouver Island?

Postby Tapir12 » 22 Jun 2014, 18:39

You're right in that the island is a bit quieter than Vancouver. There is less traffic and a slower pace. Victoria has a lot of activity because of the Legislature being here, but the real power in Victoria is held by Evil Inc, using Yummies as a front. Crime isn't too bad but you have to be careful to avoid the Runners and the West Coast Mother Lovin' Gs. They can be dangerous. Also pot lids.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 22 Jun 2014, 19:38

Victoria is quieter than Vancouver and does have better weather. As a city of 350 000 Victoria does have almost everything you need. I think Victoria is cheaper than Vancouver rent wise but both cities are expensive. I think it is a bit easier to find work in Vancouver than Victoria.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
corvus7corax
First Video: diet cherry christ

Postby corvus7corax » 22 Jun 2014, 22:36

I moved from Vancouver to Victoria recently. So here are my observances:
Rent is about the same in both places for low-end apartments (Avoid Brown Brothers properties in Victoria), but Victoria is way more pet friendly. Grocery stores are more expensive in Victoria (mostly "independent" stores as opposed to national chains (Except for Superstore in Langford)) The Public transit in Vancouver is slightly better than that in Victoria, but Victoria is smaller, so it takes 1/2 hr or less to get most places, vs 1 to 1 1/2 hrs in Vancouver. Victoria is less crammed with people and more bike friendly and walkable. Vancouver has Ikea, NCIX, 2 Costcos, tons of shopping, and more big concerts and events. In Vancouver most shops are open most of the time. In Victoria most local shops are closed after 5pm and shut all day Sunday. Victoria has slightly sunnier weather, has more gardens and green space, and is occupied by "The newlywed and nearly-dead". Vancouver is more multi-age, multicultural, LGBTQ friendly and is a major city rather than a small town. Both places have some crime, just use your common sense and don't live anywhere that has a sketchy vibe. I haven't tried looking for work (am a student), but I've heard it's harder in Victoria if you're looking for anything not minimum wage, but I've also had friends move to Vancouver to make their fortune only to end up 7 years older, and 10k in debt.

Does she want big or small, white picket fence peace or 24/7 Urban vibe? historic or modern? Fast paced bustle or leisurely stroll? Climb the corporate ladder or get to know the community? Skytrain or double-decker bus?

If you have any specific questions, let me know.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 24 Jun 2014, 10:03

"Vancouver Island" is a lot of area, not just Victoria, fwiw.

I lived in Victoria through university and have since moved to the lower mainland. If you want a big city, go to Vancouver; if you want somewhere a bit quieter, go to Victoria. As others have said, in general unless you work in government it's a bit easier to find work in Vancouver. Slightly cheaper in Vic.
corvus7corax
First Video: diet cherry christ

Postby corvus7corax » 24 Jun 2014, 19:42

Whatever the choice, padmapper http://www.padmapper.com/ is really useful for finding an apartment.

Return to “General Discussion”