Martial Arts!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Martial Arts!

Postby Lavos » 07 Aug 2007, 22:57

Do any of you forum members take any type of martial arts?
If you don't, you really should. Martial arts teaches you self defence, it makes you stronger, teaches you discipline and makes you more healthy.

Me? I take vovinam. Basically combining lightning fast aerial attacks and techniques with beautiful form. Its freaking awesome, you should check youtube for some videos.
i dont know what's happening anymore
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 08 Aug 2007, 00:32

I'm not very active, but I sometimes used to practice Jitkyùndo with a buddy of mine. Despite my laziness, however, I do hold a deep reverance for martial arts.

When I was nine, I saw a Tai Chi master at a mixed arts exhibition. He was this seventyish year old man, five foot nothing, and he's fighting all these young guys from every style and school, and seemingly not lifting a finger.

At one point, he asked for a large group of volunteers, about a dozen, and challenged them to land a single strike against him. So they all ran at him, slightly staggered one after another, and he literally just started flinging them across the mat like ragdolls, hardly even moving to do it.

~Alja-Markir~
Lavos
Lavos

Postby Lavos » 08 Aug 2007, 00:36

THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME WATCHING THAT.
Oh god I'm rofling right now.
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 08 Aug 2007, 02:40

Personally I think aerial attacks are more or less useless unless the the opponent is either tied to something or just stuck.
god0fgod

Postby god0fgod » 08 Aug 2007, 02:45

Alja-Markir wrote:I'm not very active, but I sometimes used to practice Jitkyùndo with a buddy of mine. Despite my laziness, however, I do hold a deep reverance for martial arts.

When I was nine, I saw a Tai Chi master at a mixed arts exhibition. He was this seventyish year old man, five foot nothing, and he's fighting all these young guys from every style and school, and seemingly not lifting a finger.

At one point, he asked for a large group of volunteers, about a dozen, and challenged them to land a single strike against him. So they all ran at him, slightly staggered one after another, and he literally just started flinging them across the mat like ragdolls, hardly even moving to do it.

~Alja-Markir~

Matrix guy lol. I do Tae kwon do. I've recently graded and now I'm a senior belt. WOOOO!
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 08 Aug 2007, 09:53

Tai Chi is really fascinating because it is entirely based on redirecting your opponents forces. Example. He throws a punch, you apply your own force at an angle, amplifying his speed and taking him off balance as his arm safely rockets past you. Now you apply a force onto his torso and propel him even faster forward and he flies out of control and lands on his face.

You never block something straight, you deflect things smoothly. Think of throwing a heavy rock up and down. If you hold your arm and hand stiff to catch it, it hurts. But if you move your arm along with the rock as it falls, all the while slowly applying a slight relative upward resistance, the rock slows and you catch it without stinging your hand. That's a simplified explanation of the concepts of Tai Chi.

~Alja-Markir~
YamaroV2

Postby YamaroV2 » 08 Aug 2007, 10:00

Who the fuck do you think you are, telling US what's good?

Edit : Directed towards cowbellman
No longer your barrel-rolling monkey.
god0fgod

Postby god0fgod » 08 Aug 2007, 10:15

Alja-Markir wrote:Tai Chi is really fascinating because it is entirely based on redirecting your opponents forces. Example. He throws a punch, you apply your own force at an angle, amplifying his speed and taking him off balance as his arm safely rockets past you. Now you apply a force onto his torso and propel him even faster forward and he flies out of control and lands on his face.

You never block something straight, you deflect things smoothly. Think of throwing a heavy rock up and down. If you hold your arm and hand stiff to catch it, it hurts. But if you move your arm along with the rock as it falls, all the while slowly applying a slight relative upward resistance, the rock slows and you catch it without stinging your hand. That's a simplified explanation of the concepts of Tai Chi.

~Alja-Markir~

The second part was supposed to be simple I understood but I don't think many will. Tae kwon do is all about learning how to kill someone in a blink of an eye. I allmost did kill someone once.
Lavos
Lavos

Postby Lavos » 08 Aug 2007, 10:59

AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Personally I think aerial attacks are more or less useless unless the the opponent is either tied to something or just stuck.
Its not all aerial. The aerial is the only thing that sets us apart from other martial arts. And also, we focus a lot on speed more then strength.
Lavos
Lavos

Postby Lavos » 08 Aug 2007, 10:59

YamaroV2 wrote:Who the fuck do you think you are, telling US what's good?

Edit : Directed towards cowbellman
Get in shape fur fat.
god0fgod

Postby god0fgod » 08 Aug 2007, 11:03

The USA needs to get into shape. Power is the key in Tae kwon do. Power = Speed x Acceleration.
meisbored
First Video: Daylight Savings

Postby meisbored » 08 Aug 2007, 11:26

I did tae kwon do for a few years, and had the guy who ran the school not become so corrupt with power and greed I would have had a black belt a few years ago. I ended up quitting a couple belts short of black, when the owner guy added more belts between where I was and the black belt, and more below it as well. He also jacked up the prices a bunch of times, and then drove around in his jeep and his porsche instead of teaching like he was supposed to.
god0fgod

Postby god0fgod » 08 Aug 2007, 11:40

Okay...?
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 08 Aug 2007, 11:52

I am being technical but power is force times speed.

Really being picky but by using × you indicate that power is the cross product of acceleration and velocity which would make power a vector which it is not.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
god0fgod

Postby god0fgod » 08 Aug 2007, 11:54

Well thats not the case in Tae kwon do and I thought power was force?
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 08 Aug 2007, 12:05

Power is work over time.

Force is mass by acceleration (actually, that's just one example of force, there's a whole lot more forumlae).
I can't think of a signature.
god0fgod

Postby god0fgod » 08 Aug 2007, 12:09

I had an argument on another board on what force was I said speed x acceleration as I thought it was the same as power. Other people said a lot of other things. I guess we were all right maybe then.
Mendhi

Postby Mendhi » 08 Aug 2007, 12:10

I took karate for years, I can still do a mean snap kick. I've always been interested in Tai Kwon Do, all those little old ladies in the park doing it can't be wrong!
Polar bears can vote in Mexico.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 08 Aug 2007, 12:19

I must ask, as I've not seen you on the boards yet, and your name intrigues me...

Would it be a reference to Daler?

*grins*

~Alja-Markir~

Addendum: Whoops! My bad! That's Mehndi, not Mendhi. I believe yours is actually a term related to henna?

Addendum Again: Okay, apparantly both spellings are acceptable for both subjects.... so... uhh... Tunak Tunak Tun? Or no?
god0fgod

Postby god0fgod » 08 Aug 2007, 12:33

Mendhi wrote:I took karate for years, I can still do a mean snap kick. I've always been interested in Tai Kwon Do, all those little old ladies in the park doing it can't be wrong!

Tae kwon do is (Tai?) is very similar to Karate. I've seen comparisons and Tae kwon do is better as Karate doesn't use hip twist from what i've seen. Punches are allmost the same except the hip twist.
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 08 Aug 2007, 13:15

god0fgod wrote:I had an argument on another board on what force was I said speed x acceleration as I thought it was the same as power. Other people said a lot of other things. I guess we were all right maybe then.

Speed times accelerations is most definitely not force.

Speed is meters per second.
Acceleration is meters per second squared.

Multiplied together, you get meters squared per seconds cubed, which would give you no actual mathematical number.

Closest thing you have is jerk, which is meters over seconds cubed.
god0fgod

Postby god0fgod » 08 Aug 2007, 13:18

CyberTractor wrote:Acceleration is meters per second squared.

Acceleration is speed increase divided by time. I know that for sure.
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 08 Aug 2007, 13:19

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceleration

"acceleration is measured in metres/second² (m·s-²)"

You were saying?
god0fgod

Postby god0fgod » 08 Aug 2007, 13:25

Thats distance/time2

The square is done first so it's time squared which is divided from distance. That means speed increase divided by time I assume.

Actually the wikipedia formula seems to make little sense at all.
Misty
The Goddamn Batman
First Video: Suspend Your Disbelief

Postby Misty » 08 Aug 2007, 13:43

I took like one karate class when I was little, but freaked out and quit when someone hit me (yeah, I know, stupid move. I was little, give me some slack!)

I really wish I would've stuck with it, cause that'd be just the thing I need. People see that I'm so small, and think they can mess with me... but if they tried I could roundhouse kick them in their face.

That'd be awesome 8)

Return to “General Discussion”