Bus passenger beheads seat mate.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 01 Aug 2008, 16:17

How... how after the first stab and "blood-curdling" scream, did the other passengers exit the bus instead of trying to stop the crazed knife man?
Strikes me (based entirely on that story) that he could have lived.
Obviously someone else would have probably suffered some wounds too, but come on.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 01 Aug 2008, 16:54

Graham wrote:How... how after the first stab and "blood-curdling" scream, did the other passengers exit the bus instead of trying to stop the crazed knife man?
Obviously someone else would have probably suffered some wounds too, but come on.

I think it's called Bystander Syndrome or something like that, it basically means that people are less likely to help someone if there's someone else around to help them instead. Naturally this is an infinite loop.

That, and self-preservation. Those wounds might just as easily kill them if knife-related, after all.
AzracTheUnstable

Postby AzracTheUnstable » 01 Aug 2008, 17:22

Lyinginbedmon wrote:
Graham wrote:How... how after the first stab and "blood-curdling" scream, did the other passengers exit the bus instead of trying to stop the crazed knife man?

I think it's called Bystander Syndrome or something like that, it basically means that people are less likely to help someone if there's someone else around to help them instead. Naturally this is an infinite loop.

That, and self-preservation. Those wounds might just as easily kill them if knife-related, after all.

Yeah these instincts serve to balance out another one we have. I forget the name, but it's the one that causes us torun torward the epicenter of trouble. So for example if the second instinct is stronger than the first you get first responders.
Misty wrote:Azrac happens to have a fuckwin avatar.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 01 Aug 2008, 17:32

I'd be hesitant to try to stop the guy, personally. I thought the same thing as you, at first, Graham, but then thinking about, I would probably panic and get freaked out. My first thought would be to get myself the heck out of there.

I do like to think I would be able to overcome that impulse and try to stop the guy, but... I don't know if I actually would.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 01 Aug 2008, 19:03

i'd prolly use my super powers to save the day
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 01 Aug 2008, 20:36

AzracTheUnstable wrote:
Lyinginbedmon wrote:

Yeah these instincts serve to balance out another one we have. I forget the name, but it's the one that causes us torun torward the epicenter of trouble. So for example if the second instinct is stronger than the first you get first responders.

Fight or Flight?

And also they said that the trucker gave some people crowbars and stuff to keep him on the bus. Did no one at the time think "hey, we are armed now, let's beat this motherfucker to the ground before he hurts anyone else"? First responders are trained to do that you know.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 01 Aug 2008, 23:05

Freaky stuff. I always kind of regret reading stories like this because I so rarely ever hear the conclusion.

I'm with Graham in wondering whether anyone tried to stop the attack, but that said I do know that knife attacks typically involve very rapid multiple stabbings, and can produce fatal results very quickly. They can be over before anyone really knows what's going on. By the time you hear the scream and turn around and register everything and get up, the victim could already be mostly dead and the attacker could be retreating to the back of the bus or something while brandishing the blade to keep people away.

Of course, perhaps someone did try to intervene and we've just not heard about it yet due to everything being investigated. Could also just be the article's author lacked all the info.

~Alja~
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 01 Aug 2008, 23:44

the media just released a photo, NSFW

Chris_Gonzalez

Postby Chris_Gonzalez » 01 Aug 2008, 23:52

Alja-Markir wrote:Freaky stuff. I always kind of regret reading stories like this because I so rarely ever hear the conclusion.

I'm with Graham in wondering whether anyone tried to stop the attack, but that said I do know that knife attacks typically involve very rapid multiple stabbings, and can produce fatal results very quickly. They can be over before anyone really knows what's going on. By the time you hear the scream and turn around and register everything and get up, the victim could already be mostly dead and the attacker could be retreating to the back of the bus or something while brandishing the blade to keep people away.

Of course, perhaps someone did try to intervene and we've just not heard about it yet due to everything being investigated. Could also just be the article's author lacked all the info.

~Alja~

This is true, but I would have at least tried to stop the man from BEHEADING the guy. Multiple stab wounds still have a very slight chance of being fixed, but beheadings are completely different.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 02 Aug 2008, 06:04

The beheading was reported to have occured while everyone was off the bus, no?

Contrary to popular belief, you can remove damn near most of someone's head very quickly. It's called slitting a throat. Properly done, it pretty much severs most of the neck with only the spinal column and the back tissues of the neck surrounding it remaining. It takes only a second or two to perform.

There's just too many missing details to randomly guess how everything unfolded, but I'd assume people didn't just sit and go "Huh, he's hackin' off that guy's head now, what ever should we do?"

~Alja~
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 02 Aug 2008, 06:30

Personally I'm a fan of the "get out of the way of the crazy knife man" mentallity so I'm with the crowd on that bus.

Everyone who is like "Why didn't they stop them?" put yourself in that situation and then tell me.
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 02 Aug 2008, 09:46

When I first hear about this, I too went WTF, srsly , how many ppl on the bus and no one tried stopping him? But then I started reading and watching the eye witness accounts. And I quickly changed my mind. Ever been on a greyhound? There's not much room to move, never mind jumping in the way of some stabbity death. Also, how many other people COULD have been harmed? The bus driver and a few people on the bus were quick thinking in getting people out of harms way and safe. We could have had a terrible terrible massacre of a lot more people had these people not been so quick thinking and quick acting. Yes, the beheading happened AFTER everyone was off the bus, and the bus driver and a couple other guys held the door closed so the guy couldnt get out. Also, it's reported that someone went back in to see if the guy was able to be saved and helped before the beheading and got chased with the knife.

No one, NO ONE will ever know what happened exactly and how quickly other then the passengers. They have to deal with the images and the nightmares and the life changing events.

Sick fucking shit. Are there any updates on this?
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 02 Aug 2008, 10:49

Graham wrote:Strikes me (based entirely on that story) that he could have lived.

Yeah, and maybe a lot more people could have ended up dead.

Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 02 Aug 2008, 14:59

Red Charlie wrote:Personally I'm a fan of the "get out of the way of the crazy knife man" mentallity so I'm with the crowd on that bus.

Everyone who is like "Why didn't they stop them?" put yourself in that situation and then tell me.

But there were people with CROWBARS. Long heavy piece of metal swung at someone's head will subdue them, even with a large knife.
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 02 Aug 2008, 15:14

tak197 wrote:
Red Charlie wrote:Personally I'm a fan of the "get out of the way of the crazy knife man" mentallity so I'm with the crowd on that bus.

But there were people with CROWBARS. Long heavy piece of metal swung at someone's head will subdue them, even with a large knife.

Judging by what the police officer/sheriff/law enforcement officer said I'm pretty sure nobody had gone in and did try to subdue to the attacker. Otherwise, at best there would've been two dead people or at worst 35 dead people.
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 Aug 2008, 18:17

Melendwyr wrote:Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed.

What's the password? :P

Cookie for the Serenity reference.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 10 Aug 2008, 11:37

I fully understand how sad and serious this whole thing is, especially since there is speculation that the killer may have been talking to the victim's co-worker for an hour before the attack began.

But this story made me laugh a little bit.

Sooooooooo awkward...

Return to “General Discussion”